What Would You Do??? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Gymschu
  • 2 Post By airgas1998
  • 1 Post By craig11152

Old 11-06-2018, 01:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 56

what would you do???

had my house re-roofed, and it went sour after a 1-1/2 wks. had some issues albeit minor surface up, and initially contractor said will take care of it. so here is some insight, had work performed 10/25-10/26. once completed discovered some issues like a few curled shingles, shiners, un-caulked nail holes, water heater vent stack was bent (or now has a lean) and the hood is not fastened, and finally they smashed my downspout. only thing he has done is apply some roof cement to the above mentioned areas. he has said multiple times will take care of it. ff to this week, and communication has halted on his end. good news (I guess) is zero dollars has went his way even though proposal said 50% upfront. not once has he asked for any money. so what do you think of me emailing him with the expense amount it would cost me to fix these issues and tell him to subtract it off of the original proposal, and mail me an official invoice. so we both can be done with each other, even states a 10yr workmanship guarantee on the proposal which I find hilarious as I can't even get these simple things corrected.
airgas1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2018, 01:20 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 6,626

Re: what would you do???

I'm a painting contractor not a roofing contractor but I usually side with the contractor side of things unless they were really, really negligent or did a horrible job. In your case, most of those things seem to be rather minor although he did state he would take care of it. Give him that option. Contractors these days are absolutely buried with more work than they can handle. I'm sure he has more than one iron in the fire. His intentions are probably good. I would just contact him with your concerns and give him a period of time to make things right. If he doesn't THEN go forward with your email and those deductions. If possible be kind AND patient. Give him a chance. He may be busting his hump to get roofs on to beat the bad weather, etc. and just can't jump off those jobs to get back to you.
Nealtw likes this.
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2018, 01:22 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,572

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post
had my house re-roofed, and it went sour after a 1-1/2 wks. had some issues albeit minor surface up, and initially contractor said will take care of it. so here is some insight, had work performed 10/25-10/26. once completed discovered some issues like a few curled shingles, shiners, un-caulked nail holes, water heater vent stack was bent (or now has a lean) and the hood is not fastened, and finally they smashed my downspout. only thing he has done is apply some roof cement to the above mentioned areas. he has said multiple times will take care of it. ff to this week, and communication has halted on his end. good news (I guess) is zero dollars has went his way even though proposal said 50% upfront. not once has he asked for any money. so what do you think of me emailing him with the expense amount it would cost me to fix these issues and tell him to subtract it off of the original proposal, and mail me an official invoice. so we both can be done with each other, even states a 10yr workmanship guarantee on the proposal which I find hilarious as I can't even get these simple things corrected.
I would just send him an email saying because if this and this I do not consider the job complete. The job has to be complete for a certain amount time before he can put a lean on the property.

Then tell him it will be fixed by some date or it will be fixed by others and the cost will be deducted from his remaining balance.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2018, 01:48 PM   #4

^^^^sounds fair enough guys^^^^^
Gymschu and Nealtw like this.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:26 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,198

I agree with the above, sort of.
When I was in business our policy was half down at the start and the rest upon completion to customers satisfaction and or approved final inspection. If the customer wasn't happy enough to cut that final check, that was a top priority. I can't imagine a guy being lazy about getting paid who didn't even get a downpayment.
I might consider giving him the half that was due up front as your show of good faith then negotiated the fixes before he gets the other half.
Gymschu likes this.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
I agree with the above, sort of.
When I was in business our policy was half down at the start and the rest upon completion to customers satisfaction and or approved final inspection. If the customer wasn't happy enough to cut that final check, that was a top priority. I can't imagine a guy being lazy about getting paid who didn't even get a downpayment.
I might consider giving him the half that was due up front as your show of good faith then negotiated the fixes before he gets the other half.
i think that's great, and would love to of had that executed. i had no issue with giving him 50% down.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:20 PM   #7

here's a pic... i'm just talking about the few that are raised more than the others.
he initially said will replace but instead put cement on them and now said too difficult to remove you risk the others from damage do to using crowbar to unseal the top row and then they wont seal as well. is this really the case? would a can of worms be opened? or any experienced roofer knows how to fix this and shouldn't have issues as long as was done correctly. if you paid or will pay 17k what would you do if your house? wait until spring? nothing to loose if you do it now anyway? are they compromised now with cement anyway, and will never lay flat or seal properly? he finally called my wife today and will do it but is very reluctant to do so but said if really want done will do. any ideas why he's changing his mind from 1 1/2 wks ago? thanks guys...
Attached Thumbnails
what would you do???-001.jpg  
Old 11-16-2018, 04:19 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

from the picture doesnt look bad ...with sun will lay flatter ..Are they architectual shingles ?? Otr 3 tab?
bikerboy108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement