What If There Is Shingles Left? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By jmon
  • 2 Post By ClarenceBauer
  • 2 Post By HenryMac
  • 1 Post By PatChap

Old 11-10-2018, 10:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,534

What if there is shingles left?

When contractor takes the measurements and places the order.

What if there are some shingles left? Does it belong to contractor or home owner? It should be mainly caused by inaccurate measurement.

Home owner can keep it for possible future repair (10 plus years later).

Thanks.
VAer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2018, 10:45 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,958

Re: What if there is shingles left?

Contractor usually will take any excess materials as they got all material on their credit. However, If you ask them to leave you a couple bundles most will oblige, no problem.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2018, 10:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
Contractor usually will take any excess materials as they got all material on their credit. However, If you ask them to leave you a couple bundles most will oblige, no problem.
Ok, maybe I can keep the open bundle? But the question is what if contractor orders too many bundles? What percentage of extra is reasonable?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2018, 11:04 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,662

If you had a fixed fee contract for X number of $$$$ & he was short you would owe him nothing same as if he is over he can do as he pleases with left over materials. He may have gotten a better price when he purchased 30 bundles verse 25 bundles his purchase has nothing to do with a fixed fee quote.
ClarenceBauer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 04:41 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,944

Good experiences but don't try to think like the contractor. Just ask. Make sure you take a note of the material that's brought in, and ask if you can keep all of it. I mean all. You're a home owner, not another contractor working with them.

Homedepot did my roof. There was one bundle of shingles, almost a bundle of starter shingles, 2 lengths of ridge vent and whole box of ice shield. I asked for them, mainly because I was going to do the lower roof, and was given them. But I wasn't going to argue what was brought in and what was left.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:50 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 422

The last thing the roofing contractor wants is to be 98 % done with the job and realize he's running short on material . Now he has crew standing around on the clock waiting for more material . I think it is safe to say an overage of 5 - 10 % is considered normal . I have asked for the " leftovers " on past shingle and metal roof installs and always received what I asked for . And as stated above , the contractor may get a price break at 30 bundles vs. 25 bundles , your job may take 24 bundles . So as a homeowner you look at his truck and wonder did I pay for 30 bundles when in reality only one bundle is yours if that makes sense .
Porsche986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:54 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAer View Post
When contractor takes the measurements and places the order.

What if there are some shingles left? Does it belong to contractor or home owner? It should be mainly caused by inaccurate measurement.

Home owner can keep it for possible future repair (10 plus years later).

Thanks.
It belongs to the contractor unless your contract specifies you get any overage.

Likely your contract was for a new roof, you got a new roof.

Like others have said, ask him if you can have them, if he says no... chalk it up to experience and next time put it in the contract.
MTN REMODEL LLC and Gymschu like this.
HenryMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:42 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 140

My last two roofs, once done had some left over. Both contractors asked me if I wanted the open bundle to keep on hand. I did. Maybe I was lucky.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:34 AM   #9

I have asked less than 10 pieces of shingles, I don't think I will need it anytime soon. Maybe never used them.

Now the question is how to store the shingles? Is shed too hot (summer) cause them to stick together? But it does not make sense to keep them inside house.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:17 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,186

When I was active we would leave any partial bundle but any whole bundle or other materials we took away. Felt, ice shield, nails, drip edge all carry over from job to job.
As mentioned above by Porsche we routinely bought what we thought was more than enough to be sure we had enough.
Around my area contracts call for a new roof and that's what you get.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Milam View Post
My last two roofs, once done had some left over. Both contractors asked me if I wanted the open bundle to keep on hand. I did. Maybe I was lucky.
How to store the shingles? Is shed too hot (summer) cause them to stick together? But it does not make sense to keep them inside house.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:29 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
When I was active we would leave any partial bundle but any whole bundle or other materials we took away. Felt, ice shield, nails, drip edge all carry over from job to job.
As mentioned above by Porsche we routinely bought what we thought was more than enough to be sure we had enough.
Around my area contracts call for a new roof and that's what you get.
Unless I'm mistaken, contractors estimate what they need and then buy 'X' percent over that to be safe. If some are left and returnable, they should have that right.

Not sure why I always asked for and kept the extras, I never have needed them. Insurance against needing them I suppose.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Milam View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, contractors estimate what they need and then buy 'X' percent over that to be safe. If some are left and returnable, they should have that right.

Not sure why I always asked for and kept the extras, I never have needed them. Insurance against needing them I suppose.
Nothibg wrong with asking for a handful for just I case. If shingles blowoff it saves you and the guy fixing it quite a bit of hassle.
Mike Milam likes this.
PatChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:14 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 10

I always order a extra square or two ...especially if a complex roof... I would rather have them there if any issues rather than running 20 miles during the day if short.. I will leave homeowner a bundle the rest are MINE
bikerboy108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement