Upgrading Roof Strapping/tie Downs From The Inside? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By carpdad

Old 10-09-2019, 03:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

Upgrading roof strapping/tie downs from the inside?

I'm a South Florida owner of an older home (1940s). This year, my homeowners/windstorm insurance premium increased $2000. I've since learned that if I can get my roof to meet up-to-date codes, it would fall by more than that. I stuck my head into one of the peaked sections and confirmed that the rafters are toenailed and there are no tiedowns, as can be seen in the attached photo.

I have a couple of questions. First, who would I even ask about whether it's possible to upgrade the roof from the inside (e.g. without removing the metal panels outside)? Is this a question for a roofer? A contractor? Somebody else? Second, has anyone ever attempted to work directly with an engineer and the city inspector to do this work themselves?
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrading roof strapping/tie downs from the inside?-roof_interior_1000.jpg  
billg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2019, 04:15 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 22,620

Re: Upgrading roof strapping/tie downs from the inside?

The insurance would want to see something on paper that the work has been, you could talk to the city inspectors but you might end up with an engineer.

If you have soffets under the rafter over hang, ties could be added out there. Not sure what you could do from the inside
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2019, 11:00 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 14

Re: Upgrading roof strapping/tie downs from the inside?

Since your motive for this question comes from the insurance bill, you should start with the insurance company. Start with your policy - it may state what they mean.
Then talking with representative who can help define what they mean. The rep may refer you to an engineer or building codes which have to be followed to the letter.
Asking the insurance company may seem naive but that would be where I'd start, without the expectation that you'd get your answers from them. Yours is fairly light wood frame house. Insurance dangles hope in front of you, but the premium is decided on predictions that are over our heads, such as the climate.
craig11152 and Nealtw like this.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carpdad For This Useful Post:
craig11152 (10-13-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
florida , hurricane , roof , roof anchor