Thoughts On My Recent Roofing Job - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By roofermann

Old 09-25-2019, 12:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 34

Thoughts on my recent roofing job

Good Day

I bit the bullet and had my roof re-done with a new roofer at the start of September.

I have some other posts with diy about my last roof (about 9 years old) which had a slow leak into the brick from the above the sofit line which I just couldn't solve. The previous roofers were like "Need to see flowing water otherwise we wont do squat.."

But as my luck seems to be (as I shouldn't be picking contractors), I have some issues with the new roof workmanship with the ridge vent and other items (Ridge vent issues confirmed by Ridge Vent Manufacture and a post roof install inspection performed by a 3rd party who also pointed out the ridge vent issue and with shingles on how they were installed). There are a few expose nails on vents and in the shingle, a few Nails not nailed flat under shingles (can see round nail head marks in some of the shingles), shingles not flat (told they will go down), and missing one of the deck vents.

The installer has come once to knock a bunch of nails into the back end of the ridge vent which is down (but kinda looks like it was run over) and the other parts are still off the shingles.

The roofer maintains that this is a good job, and there is nothing wrong.

Over all nervous with the job done especially with the ridge vent as we get a lot of blowing, almost horizontal rain (North to south) off lake Ontario (Had a old sponge based ridge vent before from 2 roofs ago and it leaked with these storms)

The roofer and I are on talking terms, and would honestly like to get them to repair the issue; but I get the impression that they either can't or don't want to fix it correctly.

Here is a link to the ridge vent cut, a ridge vent sample of before and after part of the service/fix of the ridge vent nailed down, a sample of the ridge vent still up and my work out of depending on where the ridge cut was made (should be 1" each side of the ridge vent) which would effect how much of the ridge vent would be sitting on actual decking

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...HU?usp=sharing

Below are some pictures from the street, and close up of the ridge vent. These are as of the 18th, and nothing has been done since these pictures were taken.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...kV?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...T9?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...2G?usp=sharing

Any comments on the job?

Any suggestions on what route I should take?

Thanks

Paul

PS. I'm sick (flu) atm - hopefully the above is clear
roofmeplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2019, 01:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 721

Re: Thoughts on my recent roofing job

They really need to address that ridge vent, and the humped up shingles on the skylight flashing. Have you paid them yet?
roofermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2019, 03:29 PM   #3

Hi Rooferman

I have paid them a bit over half. When I brought my initial concerns, I hadn't paid anything but paid them some of what was owed to show that I wasn't trying to skip out on paying; that I just wanted to make sure thats it done right.

Initially was told the ridge vent was correct and it couldn't be flat.

I built a 10/12 pitch 4 foot peak in my backyard to test this.. I was able to install them flat. I tested both X18 and Duraflo ridge vents. See the below google link.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...FQ?usp=sharing

As part of my research, I measured out the layout from the ridge board down on my test ridge roof and depending on the actual depth of the ridge vent cut (and shingle and ridge cap thickness), there will be a larger internal opening with less angled shingled surface run area for water stopping during blowing rain storms and there could be issues with nailing locations (which might be the cause of not being able to get the ridge vents flush to begin with if they're nailed into the rafters). As an example if the ridge vent cut is 3 inches from the Ridge Vent board, then there could be issues with the ridge cap nails not having a decking surface to nail to, and the lip of the cut would be 2" lower than it should be. .

The reason why the ridge vent sticks up off the decking at the edge, might be due to nailing into the removed decking and rafters (I have plank with plywood on top, so most likely 1-2" difference between rafters and top of decking.)

See below picture X18 Duraflo widths are marked in red. Ridge Cap nailing location marked in silver, and gold is initial ridge vent mounting points used to initially secure the vent.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q-S...ew?usp=sharing

Per the shingles around the skylight. They re-used the flashing from before. How would you be expect this to look.. IE.. what catches your eye on this?

If the roofer doesn't want fix the issues, then any suggestions on how to proceed.

Aside: there have been some conversations with the roofer on getting a $$ discount, and finding someone else to fix the ridge (and also now check the skylights). Most likely would be on my own if I agreed to this.

Thanks for the reply

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2019, 04:00 PM   #4

Aside:

I had asked for Duraflo Solid ridge vents for the job (http://canplas.com/duraflo/product_c...y/ridge-vents/) but open top ones were delivered to the job site. The roofer wasn't able to get the solid; so substituted with Xtractor X18 ( https://www.benjaminobdyke.com/produ...ra-ridge-vent/ ) . Wanted solid in case cap shingles were lost so that the top is not exposed.

The Xtractor X18 ridge vent manufacture had a look at the ridge vent install pictures, and said the ridge vent wasn't installed correctly and send me a free replacement set.

I found some Duraflo later on and bought them. Tested both, and thought the Duraflo was a a bit lager, more rain resistant, and a bit more forgiving when caps are nailing through the vent into the decking.. Liked the X18 Mesh option to hopefully help block snow and bugs

Here's what I asked of the roofer
  1. Ridge capping removed from on top of the ridge vent
  2. Existing ridge vent removed
  3. 2 top shingle rows removed (Shingles are not flat with the deck in many areas at the edge of the ridge vent, and water Integrity of these shingles in question due to all the existing nails knocked in)
  4. Patch each ridge cut to be 1" from Ridge header (small Plank + plywood strip secured might do, or larger plywood section replaced out with plank underneath, or maybe a cut 2x4)
  5. Deck underlayment put down on exposed decking up to edge of exposed peek
  6. Re-shingled exposed deck area (ensuring shingle flat on deck)
  7. Fiberglass vent screening over gap (supplied by me)
  8. Duraflo Solid ridge vent installed (supplied by me) using caulk line. Initial securing mount points best to be screwed in on one side, folded over and secured with screws on the other, ensuring the ridge vent is flush with the shingles and ridge vent flush underneath up the deck
  9. Gap between Butted ridge vents should be caulked
  10. Ridge vent caps installed, using at least 2 1/2" nails, making sure not to over drive them
Paul
Old 09-25-2019, 04:31 PM   #5

Only paid half? That gives you a bunch of leverage. A discount enough to cover paying somebody else (who is competent) to fix things sounds about right, as these guys seem unable or unwilling to do so.
Edit; The bottom of the side flashing on the skylights is either not nailed well or bent up, causing the slight hump in the shingles. An avenue for wind (blows-offs) and wind driven rain (a leak)
kwikfishron likes this.

Last edited by roofermann; 09-25-2019 at 04:34 PM. Reason: clarity
The Following User Says Thank You to roofermann For This Useful Post:
roofmeplease (09-25-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 07:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofermann View Post
Only paid half? That gives you a bunch of leverage. A discount enough to cover paying somebody else (who is competent) to fix things sounds about right, as these guys seem unable or unwilling to do so.
What about warranty from the original roofer? If someone else touches the roof, then I can see the blame game between roofers.

Paul
Old 09-25-2019, 09:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofermann View Post

A bit over half.. maybe 60%

And you hit the nail on the Head... Competent. Which is alot harder than it seems in my opinion.

I'm looking.. Hopefully 3rd time the the charm?

Paul
Old 09-26-2019, 04:04 AM   #8

This company has already demonstrated that their "workmanship" warranty is a fiction. so you were already SOL on that.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:19 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 492

Sorry tired eyes. From the photos, I couldn't see much of wrong things except one photo where ridge vent and the shingles looked crushed. From legal pov, that may be cosmetic and not worth witholding the payment.

I think what you have to do now is start a paper trail. Stop calling the roofers and write them a letter or email. Letter is better I think since you can sent it with receipt signature. Save even the post office receipts and lable each paper for what they are. Send at least 2 such letters, spaced 2 weeks apart.

Letter should not sound condemning. Letter should say you are concerned about the look of the ridge vent and that you plan to hire a consultant who will be paid out of the witheld payment, unless they provide written explanation (which you will check with another person-such as this forum) and depending, repair. I think you should get another opinion and that opinion should be either house inspector, town inspector or roofing company with years of doing business in the area. Any report will do and such witness does not have to commit him/herself to appear as witness. But you need "expert" opinion.

I'm recommending on site inspection because it is hard to see what's wrong in the photos. Another is yourself. Redoing the whole roof that's only 9 yrs old says something about you. I do sympathise because roofing has the worst reputation, next to vinyl siding, and I recommend homeowners to trust their eyes, but interpretations and your own disappointing past experience can cloud your eyes.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement