Roofer Missed Many Purlins And Still Put On Galvalume - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By craig11152
  • 1 Post By ChuckTin
  • 3 Post By rjniles

Old 12-07-2018, 12:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 22
Unhappy

Roofer missed many purlins and still put on galvalume

Hurricane Maria took a portion of our roof and leaking did interior damage to our drop down ceilings. Last May we had a licensed contractor replace the purlins, galvalume, soffits and gables.

We just got the drywall crew here to repair the drop down ceilings. Now that the ceiling is open in the living room we were quite surprised to see that the screws that are supposed to hold the purlins on are not screwed into the beams. I can see one spot that has 4 screws showing where they tried to hit the beam before moving on and another where there are 2 that were missed every 2' down the whole beam. This is visible many times throughout the opening. The drywall guy went into the attic to the other side of the house and found the same thing. This time they missed the first beam as well. This is the spot were we lost the roof in the storm and where the bad weather generally comes from. See attached photos.

I have contacted the manufacture (whirlwind) about the galvalume and they said they can remove it and re-screw it on, after the make the necessary repairs. I know he's going to try and repair it this way and just add more butyl tape to the seems.

I'm out of my mind! Any suggestions on how to proceed and what I can reasonable expect from the contractor?
Attached Thumbnails
Roofer missed many purlins and still put on galvalume-8860836f-c4d2-4936-8ab1-dd28117fe389.jpeg   Roofer missed many purlins and still put on galvalume-image1.jpeg   Roofer missed many purlins and still put on galvalume-8c6a6c07-defb-4c90-af2e-0ffe3a546f1d.jpeg   Roofer missed many purlins and still put on galvalume-20181207_134509.jpg  
Hobsonstcroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2018, 01:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,198

Re: Roofer missed many purlins and still put on galvalume

Those screws are through purlins on the top?
I suppose there is a possibility that after missing with a screw they went back in with another that hit so maybe its not as it seems. But I wouldn't bet on that.
Hobsonstcroix likes this.
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2018, 07:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 80

Was there any indication on the galvalume packaging as to nail spacing and penetration? Or is there manufacturer web site that has fastener recommendations? I recall a long article in Fine Home Building in the 80s (?) that discussed mechanical fastenings for metal roofing.
The point is you need some ammunition and you need to be prepared. For a battle.
Decide what remediation you must have, show that it is an industry standard/recommendation and stand your ground. Good luck.
Hobsonstcroix likes this.
ChuckTin is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2018, 08:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTin View Post
Was there any indication on the galvalume packaging as to nail spacing and penetration? Or is there manufacturer web site that has fastener recommendations? I recall a long article in Fine Home Building in the 80s (?) that discussed mechanical fastenings for metal roofing.
The point is you need some ammunition and you need to be prepared. For a battle.
Decide what remediation you must have, show that it is an industry standard/recommendation and stand your ground. Good luck.

Hi ChuckTin,
No insturctions on nail spacing were supplied with packaging. Were were told the Dade County code is 2x4 purlins spaced 24" apart, so that's what they did. They used the correct roofing screws for the galvalume and I believe the spacing was done correctly. The screws shown sticking out on the pictures above are also the screws recommened by the roofing materials supplier here on island. The only issue is that they missed so many purlins.

Should I call in a home inspector or another roofing company to take a look and give me their opinion?
Old 12-12-2018, 08:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
Those screws are through purlins on the top?
I suppose there is a possibility that after missing with a screw they went back in with another that hit so maybe its not as it seems. But I wouldn't bet on that.

Hi craig 11152,
I wouldn't bet on it either. And I can't think of anyway to verify, if they say they did, can you?
Old 12-12-2018, 10:25 AM   #6
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobsonstcroix View Post
Hi craig 11152,
I wouldn't bet on it either. And I can't think of anyway to verify, if they say they did, can you?
If you push the ply up from the underside you will know if it is attached to the purlin.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
ZTMAN, Nealtw and Hobsonstcroix like this.

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
Hobsonstcroix (02-01-2019)
Old 12-12-2018, 02:31 PM   #7
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,572

Inspectors check nailing from the inside by giving it a thump with the end of a 2x4, you can hear the difference when there is a loose spot.
These guys tacked all the sheets in place and came back with the screw driver and assumed the trusses would be all straight and in line.
Screws can be a pain to get back out so just because you can see them does not mean there are not more that did hit.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
Hobsonstcroix (02-01-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
galvalume , metal roof , purlins , roofing , soffits