Roofer Or Aluminum Contractor To Replace Bad Facia Board? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes

Old 07-09-2019, 09:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 38

Roofer or Aluminum contractor to replace bad facia board?

The situation...

Roof need shingles replaced and at least all lower plywood sheathing replaced.

Gutters are way past overdue for replacement, facia board has lengths that are obviously rotting. I'm also worried about more rot in the rafters and plywood soffits/structure. After the roof is done, the gutters will be replaced, plus aluminum facia and soffits. Then I can laugh at the rain.

Since all the lower plywood sheathing will be replaced, the aluminum contractor (very experienced) advises me to have the roofer also take off the gutters, inspect and replace any facia board and inspect and deal with any other rafter rot. The aluminum work will be scheduled soon after the roof/facia work is done.

The roofer (very experienced) says no and sees no advantage to replacing facia board at roofing time and that the facia is always done by the contractor doing the aluminum, even in this case.

Then there is me (basically handy with basic roofing anatomy knowledge) trying to arbitrate/decide. In my humble opinion, it would be easier with a better result to do the inspection/replacement with the sheathing gone and everything exposed and that it would be less risk to the finished roof edge. Is this really some roofing thing where they just don't cooperate with the following aluminum work and that is just the way it is?
In Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2019, 09:50 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 15,718

Re: Roofer or Aluminum contractor to replace bad facia board?

Hire a handy man that can rip down the soffet, the gutter and any fascia that needs

replacing.

Have hin inspect the rafters for rot and repair as needed, replace the fascia as needed
He can advise you about soffet venting. Then let the roofer and aluminum guy argue about who does what is left.
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 04:32 AM   #3
retired painter

Rewards Points: 764

Siding guys know how to bend/replace soffit, not sure I'd trust a roofer to do a good job on the fascia as it's not his normal business, although there are companies that are adept at a more than one trade.
roofermann likes this.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 06:24 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 651

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
Siding guys know how to bend/replace soffit, not sure I'd trust a roofer to do a good job on the fascia as it's not his normal business, although there are companies that are adept at a more than one trade.
This is why we have an "on call" siding guy, comes in (if needed) after the roof crew and before our gutter crew.
mark sr and Nealtw like this.
roofermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:38 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 682

I ran into a similar problem with my roofer. Company has been in business for 130 years. I wanted rake boards replaced while the roof was bare. Roofer didn't want to do it. I said I would do all the cutting if his crew would do the install. I wound up having to fix the installation. Sometimes contractors don't have the skills to do related work. If I were you I would try and get a contractor to do the wood work and coordinate the work with the roofing. May not be easy to do based on the direction that the shingles are normally installed.
JIMMIEM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JIMMIEM For This Useful Post:
In Ontario (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:48 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,072

Rooferman seems to be a pro whose world is specialization. But none of this is rock science. A competent know all can do every part of it. Sheet metal brake can be learned on the spot, example. Pros have specialization because of time and speed. Homeowner does not have this requirement. He has time.

I used homedepot crew with lot of my own demands (insisting these things were worded in the contract) and making some demands on the crew when they showed. Because roofing can look easy, there are too many rooofers who show up with a ladder, box of nails and hammer. But this crew looked fairly competent. But example, my roof decking turned out to be 5/8 plywood. They tried to use 1/2" when my rafters were about 20" spaced. I made them go buy 5/8. They were using 16d nails. You must know something about roofing if you go with homedepot. They tried to glue the chimney flashing. I tried to make them cut a kerf in the bricks but compromised on a straight kerf across the brick face. This is cover flashing over the step flashings. They tried to use cheap silicone caulk for the kerf. I gave them a tube of osi quad caulk. I don't know if they pressed the cualk in. I think homedepot charge was probably on the high side. But homedepot is not fly by night outfit and all liabilities would be organized.

Last edited by carpdad; Yesterday at 06:51 AM.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 651

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpdad View Post
Rooferman seems to be a pro whose world is specialization. But none of this is rock science. A competent know all can do every part of it. Sheet metal brake can be learned on the spot, example. Pros have specialization because of time and speed. Homeowner does not have this requirement. He has time.

I used homedepot crew with lot of my own demands (insisting these things were worded in the contract) and making some demands on the crew when they showed. Because roofing can look easy, there are too many rooofers who show up with a ladder, box of nails and hammer. But this crew looked fairly competent. But example, my roof decking turned out to be 5/8 plywood. They tried to use 1/2" when my rafters were about 20" spaced. I made them go buy 5/8. They were using 16d nails. You must know something about roofing if you go with homedepot. They tried to glue the chimney flashing. I tried to make them cut a kerf in the bricks but compromised on a straight kerf across the brick face. This is cover flashing over the step flashings. They tried to use cheap silicone caulk for the kerf. I gave them a tube of osi quad caulk. I don't know if they pressed the cualk in. I think homedepot charge was probably on the high side. But homedepot is not fly by night outfit and all liabilities would be organized.
I'm not quite sure what your point is
roofermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM   #8
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,574

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofermann View Post
This is why we have an "on call" siding guy, comes in (if needed) after the roof crew and before our gutter crew.
^This is how its done.

You may find a guy who happens to do roofing, who will also replace your plywood soffits and look at the rafter tails and do what's needed. But most specialty contractors (i.e. roofer or siding guy) will try to avoid the homeowner "pointing fingers" (i.e. standing there while they work saying "Can you replace this? How about this? Can you look here?).

If you don't DIY the wood soffits, fascias, and rafters repairs, a carpenter or more of a general handyman could do it. Then bring in your roofer and siding guys.
roofermann likes this.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3onthetree For This Useful Post:
Nealtw (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 682

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpdad View Post

You are a brave man using HD. What about the roof work that you can't easily see unless you climb up there? I found some sheathing that the roofers broke through......I found them when I went into the attic. Also, they apparently ran out of the correct color shingles so they finished off the peak with different color shingles....something looked off from ground level and was eventually confirmed later by my painter.
JIMMIEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM   #10

Thank you all for your replies.

To be more clear what the aluminum guy is asking the roofer to do doesn't involve any metal work. The only metal the roofer would need to touch is just dropping the gutters. The existing facia boards and soffits are all painted wood, no metal.

Again this isn't a typical job since the roof sheathing is going to go which is why the aluminum guy is saying to take advantage of that opportunity at roofing time and inspect/replace facia board lumber ready for the aluminium work to follow.
Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM   #11
retired framer

Rewards Points: 15,718

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Ontario View Post
Thank you all for your replies.

To be more clear what the aluminum guy is asking the roofer to do doesn't involve any metal work. The only metal the roofer would need to touch is just dropping the gutters. The existing facia boards and soffits are all painted wood, no metal.

Again this isn't a typical job since the roof sheathing is going to go which is why the aluminum guy is saying to take advantage of that opportunity at roofing time and inspect/replace facia board lumber ready for the aluminium work to follow.
Roofers and siding guys both give a quote for the time they know it will take to do the job. Neither of them are in the business of digging around looking for rot and repairing it, you need someone that charges by the hour. This is carpentry work. Not siding, not roofing. Everything except the roof sheeting should be fixed before either are there.
Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM   #12

Nope, this isn't a homeowner ""pointing fingers" (i.e. standing there while they work saying "Can you replace this? How about this? Can you look here?)."

This is the homeowner relaying to the roofer the aluminum guy's request caring about doing good and efficient work for the homeowner. He wants the result of strong and straight facia board with minimum risk to messing with the roof edge (that will include ice and water shield) by pulling down facia board after the roof is done. The aluminum guy says most roofers cooperate this way and share the same goal.

Further a good and fair homeowner should be up-front and point out, specify expectations before work is done and to include in price. Of course it's the homeowners who do that while the work is being done who are not fair.
Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM   #13

So carpenters are "in the business of digging around looking for rot and repairing it"?

There would be no "digging", that is the point as to why it makes sense to do that then. The sheathing is already off, gutters are down and it is accessible-as-it-gets and plain as day to see both sides of the facia board and rather ends.

This roofer actually said that it is common to have an addendum to the bill for carpentry as needed to fix/repair any bad rafters and would, on the spot call up his carpenter to do that, not his roofer to do that work. But even if that happened he says he still wouldn't touch the facia board, not even the parts that are obviously bad.

Any good roofing company will have a carpenter or at least a roofer who also can and wants to do such carpentry that as part of their team. I can't imagine you can to roofing without running into carpentry work at times.
Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,034

Good idea to do it all at once, how much of the fascia do you think has to go
PatChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChap View Post
Good idea to do it all at once, how much of the fascia do you think has to go
At least %25, it is a hip roof and the 4 corners are for sure bad, I would be happy if whoever does it wants to change out longer sections if it makes sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement