Roof Replacement Temporary - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree8Likes

Old 10-26-2018, 05:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,534

Roof replacement temporary

My tentative schedule is Mid-November, yes, more than two months of waiting period after estimate. The temporary in mid November in my area is around 35F-50F, so I guess high temperature is around 50F, so a lot of time it will be below 45F.

I found an article online saying it is not good to install shingles under 45F, but contractor told me that it is still fine to install shingles a little under 45F, since I choose Landmark Pro, which is middle category of Landmark brand, it is heavier than regular Landmark shingles. He comforted me that it is okay, he even installs shingles in December.

Is he telling truth? I am kinda worried about installation quality under low temperature. My roof is leaking, and I cannot wait till next Spring.

Thanks.
VAer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2018, 05:19 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,014

Re: Roof replacement temporary

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAer View Post
My tentative schedule is Mid-November, yes, more than two months of waiting period after estimate. The temporary in mid November in my area is around 35F-50F, so I guess high temperature is around 50F, so a lot of time it will be below 45F.

I found an article online saying it is not good to install shingles under 45F, but contractor told me that it is still fine to install shingles a little under 45F, since I choose Landmark Pro, which is middle category of Landmark brand, it is heavier than regular Landmark shingles. He comforted me that it is okay, he even installs shingles in December.

Is he telling truth? I am kinda worried about installation quality under low temperature. My roof is leaking, and I cannot wait till next Spring.

Thanks.
We don't get as cold as you do but they work year round up here.
roofermann likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2018, 05:46 PM   #3
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,238

The shingles should install fine, but it will take some warm days for them to really lock in.
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2018, 05:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
The shingles should install fine, but it will take some warm days for them to really lock in.
What temperature can be considered as warm day?

That being said, is it okay for shingles to stay in cold for a few months? Since it will turn colder till next Spring.

Thanks.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:27 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 926

The tabs won't seal down in the cold, but you can indeed install shingles right down to 0F and below. They will seal as soon as they get some sun on them. Now, if you expect to get a lot of high winds between now and warm weather, you do run the risk of shingles blowing off since (that's the whole point of the sealing strip, to prevent blow off). That is probably pretty rare though.
Marson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marson View Post
The tabs won't seal down in the cold, but you can indeed install shingles right down to 0F and below. They will seal as soon as they get some sun on them. Now, if you expect to get a lot of high winds between now and warm weather, you do run the risk of shingles blowing off since (that's the whole point of the sealing strip, to prevent blow off). That is probably pretty rare though.

Not 3-tab shingles, my post mentions Landmark Pro, which is Architectural Shingles and is slightly heavier than regular Architectural Landmark.

How much do you know Landmark Pro, what temperature is good for sealing down? How many days of warm weather is needed?

Thanks.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:31 PM   #7
Property Mgt/Maint

Quote:
What temperature can be considered as warm day?

That being said, is it okay for shingles to stay in cold for a few months? Since it will turn colder till next Spring.

Thanks.

A new roof installed during cold temps is better than a leaking roof and waiting until next year. So I wouldn't push it out. Just know that warm sunny days will melt the tar strips and lock the shingle ends down better. It does not affect water shedding ability, but maybe wind resistance.
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:20 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 926

Quote:
Not 3-tab shingles, my post mentions Landmark Pro, which is Architectural Shingles and is slightly heavier than regular Architectural Landmark.

How much do you know Landmark Pro, what temperature is good for sealing down? How many days of warm weather is needed?

Thanks.

I guess I used "tabs" casually, not meaning specifically three tab shingles. All asphalt shingles that I have ever used had asphalt sealing strips that needed heat to seal each "tab" to the one below it. Architectural shingles are no different. Any shingle made out of asphalt is going to behave the same.

Whether the temperature is 40, 30, 20, -20, whatever, your shingles won't seal until they heat up. It'll happen in a day or even a few hours. Hard to say what air temperature--it's all about the sun really. 70 and sunny should do it.

Mind you, most roofs have areas that are perpetually shady or whatever that never do seal.
Marson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:21 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,028

Quote:

Thanks.
It takes a few sunny and warm ones for them to seal
They won't fully seal until spring if it's done at or around freezing.
Your roof might look bumpy when it's installed to, landmarks do that. They flatten out in warm weather
I have installed shingles in -30c,and been on the roofs 10 yeara later. You would have no idea it was installed in the winter.
roofermann likes this.
PatChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:13 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,180

The perfect installation process is 45-60 degrees and cloudy so they don't stick in the bundle and feet don't scuff them. Then 5 minutes after the job is done the sun can come out and over the next few days the temperature and climb to the mid 80s to seal them down. We did a job like that once in mid May of 1983.

Yodaman and Nealtw like this.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:22 AM   #11
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
The perfect installation process is 45-60 degrees and cloudy so they don't stick in the bundle and feet don't scuff them. Then 5 minutes after the job is done the sun can come out and over the next few days the temperature and climb to the mid 80s to seal them down. We did a job like that once in mid May of 1983.

On real hot summer days I have had roofers up there with a lawn sprinkler.
roofermann and craig11152 like this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:16 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
On real hot summer days I have had roofers up there with a lawn sprinkler.
If it's over 25c I keep a hose on the roof all day. If it's over 35,and I'm still trying to work I install a bundle, then soak it and install the next. Very wet process but it keeps the shingles from marking
Nealtw likes this.
PatChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:23 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 860

It doesn't even need to get that hot for the sealing to happen. It just needs to be sunny enough for a shingle to absorb a little heat. Dark shingles will seal up a little even a cold sunny day in my experience.
Architectural shingles are also stiffer so less risk (not no risk, since nothing in life is no risk) of them blowing off in a big wind storm.
Either way, you've got leaks now so get on it!
NotYerUncleBob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:33 AM   #14
Property Mgt/Maint

I have a garage roof coming up in a couple weeks. Trusses are due end of next week. Sheathing and shingles to follow quickly there after. I am looking foreword to it NOT being 80 to 90F
Old 11-06-2018, 03:51 PM   #15

Finally, shingles is delivered on the roof, it will stay on the roof for at least ONE WEEK before being installed.

For next 7 days: there are two days with temperature 30-45F , there are two rainy days. Will bad storage condition damage shingles?

Why contractor does order material and ask them to be delivered one or two days before installation. It seems contractor would not schedule roof installation until material is delivered.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement