Roof Of Porch Needs Sealing - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes

Old 10-26-2018, 03:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 58

Roof of porch needs sealing

Hi, and thank you for your help. We've owned this 1940s house for 3 years, and it needs some maintenance we can't actually afford. One area that must have attention is the front porch roof, which is leaking. Two slow, small drip-type leaks, and a third leak that is large and has caused damage to an area of the wood trim of the roof support and drips profusely. I would like to use some kind of roof sealant to just coat the entire area (8x15ish) to try to seal it for now. I haven't been up there to look closely, and may find that we have to do more in that one bad area, will determine. The roof is asphalt shingles and visually is still in good condition, there are no other leaks anywhere in the house.

My question is, the last time I used any roof sealant it was 2005. I'm thinking maybe there has been progress in sealants or other products during that time, and I was wondering if folks here could help me with that information. In any case, recommendations would be most welcome.

We live in the Deep South and daytime temperatures are still in the 60s and high 70s. We've just had a lot of rain but it's due to be dry until next Wednesday. So we have a window of opportunity.
Victoria-nola is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2018, 03:50 AM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 2,504

Re: Roof of porch needs sealing

Judging from your user name you must live in New Orleans. Is it a "shotgun"? Can you post pictures of the front of the house? Pictures of the roof (not closeups) would help us as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2018, 04:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
Judging from your user name you must live in New Orleans. Is it a "shotgun"? Can you post pictures of the front of the house? Pictures of the roof (not closeups) would help us as well.
Good noticing! Actually, we've since moved from there to a small farm a couple of hours north. It's not a shotgun. Yes, I can take photos later today and will post them asap. Thank you very much for your help.

--Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2018, 04:57 AM   #4
retired painter

Rewards Points: 594

Where on the roof is it leaking? near where it meets the house roof? I'm assuming this is a metal roof. Paint on roof coatings aren't the best way to stop leaks. I generally use a caulk or roofing tar to stop the leak and then apply the roof coating. IMO the thick silver roof coating isn't as good as it was 30-40 yrs ago when it was asbestos based - it's now asphalt based. Look forward to seeing the pics.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
Where on the roof is it leaking? near where it meets the house roof? I'm assuming this is a metal roof. Paint on roof coatings aren't the best way to stop leaks. I generally use a caulk or roofing tar to stop the leak and then apply the roof coating. IMO the thick silver roof coating isn't as good as it was 30-40 yrs ago when it was asbestos based - it's now asphalt based. Look forward to seeing the pics.
No, asphalt shingle roof. The two small leaks are coming through in the middle of the porch ceiling, the worst leak is at the outer edge of the porch roof, where it overhangs the cement stairs. No leaks near connection of porch roof to house, or at least, not apparently (am aware that leaks can run for a while on the underlayment before flowing down into the ceiling).

My intention was to use some type of roofing tar to seal off all the leaks. I regret that my use of the term "sealer" misled you. I appreciate your help. Have to wait for sunlight for photos.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:57 AM   #6

https://www.diychatroom.com/members/.../house-photos/

Here are photos per request. I wasn't remembering that the porch doesn't have a separate roof. The roof slopes down from the peak and covers the porch. I have tried to get pictures that would illustrate this. I'm not sure it makes a difference, but the house was originally a wooden farm house that was then covered by an actual brick house (not brick-facade)-- it's very strange but solid and comfortable.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:52 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,212

It looks to me like a distinct pitch change over the porch?
It also looks like that pitch change may be too gentle for shingles.
But to find a short term cheaper fix....
I am not aware of a product designed for your specific need, to coat an fairly large area of asphalt shingles.
I would buy some trowel grade roofing cement like Karnak #19 maybe in a semi or even winter grade so you can spread it easy, maybe with a driveway brush and squeegee. If you can't find winter grade or semi grade down south you may not be able to apply it with a brush since it will be the consistency of thick peanut butter. Winter grade on a warm day can be like a thick milkshake
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Karnak-5...19-5/100311255
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Latex-it...1245/203427917
Old 10-26-2018, 09:54 AM   #8
retired painter

You [or somebody] need to get on the roof and carefully inspect the shingles. I don't guess any of the underside of the porch roof is visible from the attic ??
Old 10-26-2018, 10:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
It looks to me like a distinct pitch change over the porch?
It also looks like that pitch change may be too gentle for shingles.
But to find a short term cheaper fix....
I am not aware of a product designed for your specific need, to coat an fairly large area of asphalt shingles.
I would buy some trowel grade roofing cement like Karnak #19 maybe in a semi or even winter grade so you can spread it easy, maybe with a driveway brush and squeegee. If you can't find winter grade or semi grade down south you may not be able to apply it with a brush since it will be the consistency of thick peanut butter. Winter grade on a warm day can be like a thick milkshake
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Karnak-5...19-5/100311255
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Latex-it...1245/203427917
This solution seems very promising and I love the brush/squeegee idea. I think you're right that the slope becomes rather flat (the photo with the side elevation shows the angle but the inner side, near the overhang from the right-hand side of the house, seems different, it flattens in there). I can see there is a dip in the shingles at the bad place, too, now that I got up on the ladder to take the roof shot. I cannot find the Karnak product at any Lowes, HomeDepot, or Ace Hardware anywhere in my whole area (100 miles-- we don't have independent home stores around here). Is there a similar product I could look for? Thank you!

Last edited by Victoria-nola; 10-26-2018 at 10:44 AM. Reason: added info
Old 10-26-2018, 10:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
You [or somebody] need to get on the roof and carefully inspect the shingles. I don't guess any of the underside of the porch roof is visible from the attic ??
I'm not sure what is visible from the attic, have never fully been up there as the only access is a small porthole in the kitchen ceiling, but our friend was up there and there is surprisingly little room. We'll need to get on the roof to do this work, what I could see from the ladder is that there is some unevenness up there I didn't realize, and some edges of shingles that are flipped up a little. But all the shingles are present. So, if we glue everything together and maybe do a bit more of a patch over the worst spot, we can maybe stretch this another couple of years.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:02 AM   #11
retired painter

You wouldn't make any repair from the attic but it can give you a clue as to where the leak originates - if you can see in there well enough to spot the water stains.
The Following User Says Thank You to mark sr For This Useful Post:
Victoria-nola (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 11:09 AM   #12
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,048

Really should try to have a gutter installed on the front. Your fascia is weathering pretty bad without it.
Yodaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:42 PM   #13
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 2,504

My bet is the valley between the two roof lines. Check there for proper shingle layment. A straight on picture of the valley will help, too. Sorry for all the picture requests but seeing helps. If the valley is not laid properly it could cause water to run uphill, actually, via capillary action. It is a very vulnerable place.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Really should try to have a gutter installed on the front. Your fascia is weathering pretty bad without it.
Ok, will put that in the hopper.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
My bet is the valley between the two roof lines. Check there for proper shingle layment. A straight on picture of the valley will help, too. Sorry for all the picture requests but seeing helps. If the valley is not laid properly it could cause water to run uphill, actually, via capillary action. It is a very vulnerable place.
Ok. I will get a photo tomorrow. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
roof leak