Roof Coating - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2018, 01:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 44

Roof coating

Just got a patch on my leaking roof.

Can someone give me a recommendation on the roof coating? BTW I have a flat roof.

I have my eye on this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dws780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2018, 08:08 PM   #2

Re: Roof coating

Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2018, 05:07 AM   #3
retired painter

Rewards Points: 544

Has the leak been fixed? what type of material is the roof covering?
I don't recall ever using that coating but as with any coating the substrate needs to be good and clean for it to adhere well.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2018, 06:50 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,188

The stuff looks impressive, which it should be at that price. I encourage you to be our human guinea pig, buy it, try it and let us know.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
Has the leak been fixed? what type of material is the roof covering?
I don't recall ever using that coating but as with any coating the substrate needs to be good and clean for it to adhere well.

Yes my roof leak is fixed. I am not sure what type of material I have but itís has those little white/grey gravels stick on it. But they do come off so Iím hoping with this roof coating it will prevent them from coming off and make it extra waterproofing.

My roof is not that big maybe 30í wide x 45í length do you think 5 gallon is enough coverage?

Old 11-20-2018, 08:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dws780 View Post
Yes my roof leak is fixed. I am not sure what type of material I have but itís has those little white/grey gravels stick on it. But they do come off so Iím hoping with this roof coating it will prevent them from coming off and make it extra waterproofing.

My roof is not that big maybe 30í wide x 45í length do you think 5 gallon is enough coverage?

Those white/grey gravels sound like an SBS modified. Are there horizontal seams every 36 inches?
In any case I don't think 5 gallons is remotely enough. According to their coverage specs you will need about 27-30 gallons. So closer to six 5 gallon buckets.
Their coverage specs say 5 gallons covers about 250 square feet. But if you have a granular surface your coverage may be less.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
Those white/grey gravels sound like an SBS modified. Are there horizontal seams every 36 inches?

In any case I don't think 5 gallons is remotely enough. According to their coverage specs you will need about 27-30 gallons. So closer to six 5 gallon buckets.

Their coverage specs say 5 gallons covers about 250 square feet. But if you have a granular surface your coverage may be less.

If I need six 5 gallon buckets I will not use it due to the high cost and the age (9yrs)of my roof.
Yes I think I heard of the term granular surface before.

Any other brand that is recommended at the big box or itís just better to get it at roofing supply stores or online?
Old 11-20-2018, 11:56 AM   #8

Quote:
If I need six 5 gallon buckets I will not use it due to the high cost and the age (9yrs)of my roof.
Another way to look at it is its basically $100 a square (100 sq ft)
No way you replace a flat roof for anything close to that. So if it does what Black Jack would have us believe its actually cheap.
They talk about long term solutions and mention 50 years. Now realistically its not going to last 50 years but even if it lasts 20 thats still pretty cheap.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:22 PM   #9

Yes I do not believe in the 50 year warranty. I be really happy if I can get half of it.

The black jack descriptions does looks really good.

I think the other brand cost about 80-100 per 5 gallon bucket.

When I did my roof 9 years ago I think I paid like around $1500. My roofer told me my roof is still in good condition and if I coat it, it should last me another 5-10 years.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:16 PM   #10

Quote:
I think the other brand cost about 80-100 per 5 gallon bucket.
which other brand and was it silicone based? There are a variety of coatings out there. Most will talk about prolonging the roof, reflecting heat, slowing the aging etc. But what they don't really do is say they stop leaks long term.
If that Black Jack does what it claims its arguably more like a new roof (second layer) than a coating. It flat out says it stops leaks. Most other coatings don't make that claim.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:23 PM   #11

I think I've talked myself in to trying it. I can get by with one can at 225 square feet. But since winter seems to have arrived prematurely here in SE Michigan it won't happen for me till next spring. Not enough 40 degree plus days left.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:50 PM   #12

Quote:
which other brand and was it silicone based? There are a variety of coatings out there. Most will talk about prolonging the roof, reflecting heat, slowing the aging etc. But what they don't really do is say they stop leaks long term.

If that Black Jack does what it claims its arguably more like a new roof (second layer) than a coating. It flat out says it stops leaks. Most other coatings don't make that claim.

Oh Iím just talking about general white/grey coating not silicone base. Yeah it does sound very promising.

Old 11-20-2018, 02:52 PM   #13

Quote:
I think I've talked myself in to trying it. I can get by with one can at 225 square feet. But since winter seems to have arrived prematurely here in SE Michigan it won't happen for me till next spring. Not enough 40 degree plus days left.

Is it not recommended on coating it during the winter time? Because it will take too long to dry?

Old 11-20-2018, 03:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Is it not recommended on coating it during the winter time? Because it will take too long to dry?

The specs say to coat between 40 and 90 degrees I think. At that price I'm going to follow the directions like they came down from above.

I have a back porch, unheated, uninsulated, with a granular surface SBS modified. It sits under a hickory tree and will need some serious cleaning before I put the white magic on.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:03 PM   #15
retired painter

Rewards Points: 544

Quote:
When the substrate is cold the coating won't adhere well, if the air is cold it won't dry well.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement