Replace Chimney Flashing Or Not. - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes

Old 04-13-2019, 04:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 124

Replace chimney flashing or not.

We have an approximately 1,000 sf ranch style home with what i believe is a hip roof and a 2x2 chimney IN the roof (if you will) for the boiler furnace and hot water tank exhaust. Iím beginning the tear down myself tomorrow and Iím thinking Iíd sure like to reuse the original flashing on the chimney instead of dealing with all the unfamiliar territory of new flashing. I have a carpenter buddy whoíd probably come out for a day and do it or Iím not afraid of doing some research but why fix it if it ainít broke and i could use the time working on something else on my money pit haha. Thank you for your input. Wish me luck.
Username10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2019, 05:55 AM   #2

Re: Replace chimney flashing or not.

Also, i have an attic fan and Iím guessing the previous homeowner added this for improving cooling in the attic space since there is a whole house air conditioner air handler in the attic. I suppose it wouldnít hurt to leave it with the new roof?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2019, 07:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Are you tearing off the roof or tearing down the chimney pics would help

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk
Yodaman likes this.
rooster4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2019, 07:32 AM   #4
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 5,796

Regarding chimney flashing, If the counter flashing is still in good condition and fastened well to the chimney, it is often left in place and re-used.

The step flashing under your shingles would all be replaced.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:38 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,664

Flashings should be replaced too. What you have now is probably galvi steel and galvanization do wear off. Also you could reuse the flashings only if they match the steps of the shingles. If you're using architectural shingles, example, old flashing may be inadequate and out of position. Architectural shingles also last longer which means you want longer lasting flashing.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:38 AM   #6

Replace chimney flashing or not.-2a5e5c3a-9eb6-4097-b332-16ad56f13ea0.jpgClick image for larger version

Name:	2A5E5C3A-9EB6-4097-B332-16AD56F13EA0.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	556105

Replace chimney flashing or not.-d299dcf7-1047-4237-951e-647add166421.jpg
Old 04-13-2019, 07:40 AM   #7

Replace chimney flashing or not.-30492f86-47c1-45cb-8a64-84e617389a97.jpg
Old 04-13-2019, 07:52 AM   #8
Property Mgt/Maint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Regarding chimney flashing, If the counter flashing is still in good condition and fastened well to the chimney, it is often left in place and re-used.

The step flashing under your shingles would all be replaced.

So after seeing your photo, your counter flash is installed wrong, so I would want it done properly by cutting into the chimney so the upper counter step would seat, and be sealed directly into the chimney bricks.

They way it is now you are 100% dependent on roof tar to seal the flashing against the chimney.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:11 AM   #9

Gotcha. Thank you! I wonder if thereís flashing underneath the current fake ďstep flashingĒ. If so, maybe i could reuse that. Also, how to determine whether i can reuse the valley flashing? Iíll rent or borrow a break but just looking for options.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:56 AM   #10
Property Mgt/Maint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username10 View Post
Gotcha. Thank you! I wonder if thereís flashing underneath the current fake ďstep flashingĒ. If so, maybe i could reuse that. Also, how to determine whether i can reuse the valley flashing? Iíll rent or borrow a break but just looking for options.

The cost of new flashing is such a small cost of a roofing project, that it doesn't make sense to try and save it. By the time you have it removed it will be bent up and full of holes.

I never use metal in the valleys, only ice & water underlay, then overlap it thru the valley with the flank underlayment courses.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:45 PM   #11

Well i tore down one plane of my roof, replaced some wood under the drip edge, and layed the synthetic roofing paper from 8:00am to 10 pm today. Itís a 7/12 pitch and it was a bit tricky keeping a good grip. Iím lucky i didnít fall. I guess my painters reflexes kept me going. The wood repair made it a much longer day than i had anticipated and thereís a storm forecasted for tomorrow. There were many loose nails in the 1x12ís used for sheathing. Iím wondering if a pro would remove them and replace with larger nails.

Also there were a few broken boards producing holes which i didnít have time to repair so i plan to support them maybe somehow from underneath in the attic. The job would have gone more smoothly if tomorrowís weather forecast werenít soft rain. Iíll have to plan my next jaunt a little better.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:27 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,022

When I reroofes boards with loose nails I reshoot every board. If you nail near the old nail, it tightens up the old nail as well.
Quick with a gun, you should be OK just pulling and renailing them in a new hole.
I never reuse valley metal, which is very common here. Almost every roof in my area uses open metal valleys, they work great on snowy climates.
If your going with open valleys and they are common where you live, the suppliers will have prebent valley metal. Probably 8' sections in steel, I would recomend that route.
Hip chimneys aren't so simple to reflash, if your Buddy knows what he's doing I would recommend you go that route.

Last edited by PatChap; 04-14-2019 at 06:31 AM.
PatChap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PatChap For This Useful Post:
Username10 (04-14-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 01:59 PM   #13

Great info thank you!!

I should reshoot another larger nail in the same hole right? Otherwise too many nails tend to split the old dry wood.

The west side of the house has a metal valley and the southern side is weaved Iím guessing there was a tree where the flashing is because leaves wonít tend to stick in the metal valley.

Yes i have a carpenter in mind who will likely be interested in flashing the chimney for me. Iím thinkin like $2-$300 labor for the day 🤷🏻*♂️🤷🏻*♂️
Old 04-15-2019, 04:48 PM   #14

Ok now Iím wondering how long can i leave the roof with just underlayment. Iím torn between shingling the plane i tore down or tear down another plane.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:54 PM   #15
Property Mgt/Maint

Depends on your underlayment. I like to use Titanium UDL 30, which is a synthetic and and is ok to leave exposed for several months. Felt paper, need to get it covered ASAP

http://www.owenscorning.com/NetworkS...---English.pdf
PatChap (04-15-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement