Repairing Valley - A Few Questions - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By roofermann
  • 1 Post By Windows on Wash
  • 1 Post By roofermann
  • 1 Post By Windows on Wash
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 01-26-2019, 11:07 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 74
Rewards Points: 71
Default

Repairing Valley - a few questions


I live in SoCal and we've had some decent rains in the past few weeks. I have a leak in my garage coming from the valley area so I decided to DIY repair my valley.

I have concrete tiles that interlock. I've been watching some good YouTube videos but still have a few basic questions:


1. Should i lay a ice/water shield up and down the whole length of the valley. Is that required? The videos of some roofers in SoCal don't seem to do that. This is an example of what my valley flashing looks like. https://www.hometips.com/wp-content/...-valley-ss.jpg

2. I know that each course of new paper should overlap the course below. However, where the new paper meets the old paper in the course, does it matter if it goes under or over or as long there is a good overlap it doesnt matter?

3. When reinstalling the concrete tiles, is it ok to nail them back in or should I use adhesive to secure them all? Is it ok if the new nail goes into the old nail hole or close to it?


Thanks!

Josh
joshik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-26-2019, 11:41 PM   #2
Exterior Construction
 
Windows on Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington DC Metro Area (VA, MD, DC)
Posts: 22,057
Rewards Points: 7,828
Blog Entries: 40
Default

Re: Repairing Valley - a few questions


How bad was the leak?

Gusher or weeper.


Picture of your roof profile. Normally I would say to default back to the manufacturer's guidelines, but there are some best practices to follow here.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
joshik (01-27-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-27-2019, 04:56 AM   #3
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 30,482
Rewards Points: 4,618
Default

Re: Repairing Valley - a few questions


If I was going to all that work I would want something like I&W to be sure there would be no more trouble. If you are worried about nail holes just shove a wood match stick in each one.
Windows on Wash likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
joshik (01-27-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-27-2019, 09:19 AM   #4
Member
 
roofermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 455
Rewards Points: 721
Default

Re: Repairing Valley - a few questions


You want the overlaps to shed water, so over below under above
Windows on Wash likes this.
roofermann is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to roofermann For This Useful Post:
joshik (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 09:32 AM   #5
Exterior Construction
 
Windows on Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington DC Metro Area (VA, MD, DC)
Posts: 22,057
Rewards Points: 7,828
Blog Entries: 40
Default

Re: Repairing Valley - a few questions


Quote:
Originally Posted by roofermann View Post
You want the overlaps to shed water, so over below under above

What's up dude. I saw you like a post a while back and meant to ping you. How is our fine state of VA treating you.



Holy Schnikes...what a season this year. What's good?
roofermann likes this.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
roofermann (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 09:39 AM   #6
Member
 
roofermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 455
Rewards Points: 721
Default

Re: Repairing Valley - a few questions


The dreary slow season, been knocking out some small repairs.
Windows on Wash likes this.
roofermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:47 AM   #7
Exterior Construction
 
Windows on Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington DC Metro Area (VA, MD, DC)
Posts: 22,057
Rewards Points: 7,828
Blog Entries: 40
Default

Re: Repairing Valley - a few questions


Quote:
Originally Posted by roofermann View Post
The dreary slow season, been knocking out some small repairs.

The rain this year has been absolutely crazy. More days with rain than without. Hopefully we actually see the sun, on a weekend, in 2019.
roofermann likes this.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:02 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 74
Rewards Points: 71
Default

Re: Repairing Valley - a few questions


Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
How bad was the leak?

Gusher or weeper.


Picture of your roof profile. Normally I would say to default back to the manufacturer's guidelines, but there are some best practices to follow here.
it was a slow dripping leak. i heard it one night i went into the garage.

here is a picture. I started today to lift up the tile and tear out some of the old paper.

it looks like there is a underlayment under the valley flashing. then the courses overlap the valley underlayment and flashing.

Videos i've been watching seem to just have each course extend up the other side of the valley about 10+ inches or so all woven, then the valley flashing on top and then tiles.

joshik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:03 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 74
Rewards Points: 71
Default

Re: Repairing Valley - a few questions


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
If I was going to all that work I would want something like I&W to be sure there would be no more trouble. If you are worried about nail holes just shove a wood match stick in each one.
i was just worried about the new nails going into the existing holes and not really grabbing the decking. so should i just use a little adhesive on each tile to secure it?
joshik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:19 PM   #10
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 30,482
Rewards Points: 4,618
Default

Re: Repairing Valley - a few questions


Quote:
Originally Posted by joshik View Post
i was just worried about the new nails going into the existing holes and not really grabbing the decking. so should i just use a little adhesive on each tile to secure it?
Don't re invent the wheel, if you are worried about loose nails put wood in the hole first.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
joshik (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 05:07 PM   #11
Exterior Construction
 
Windows on Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington DC Metro Area (VA, MD, DC)
Posts: 22,057
Rewards Points: 7,828
Blog Entries: 40
Default

Re: Repairing Valley - a few questions


I agree with Neal. We tend to do that when we aren't talking politics.



That said, if you are assured that the leak was not from upstream, some Ice/Water on the deck to the valley metal wouldn't be overkill.



Its likely that the valley just got overwhelmed in this case and spilled out and beyond the edges. Perhaps a bit more of a shelf hem on that outer edge would keep it in the valley.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
joshik (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 05:18 PM   #12
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 30,482
Rewards Points: 4,618
Default

Re: Repairing Valley - a few questions


Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
I agree with Neal. We tend to do that when we aren't talking politics.



That said, if you are assured that the leak was not from upstream, some Ice/Water on the deck to the valley metal wouldn't be overkill.



Its likely that the valley just got overwhelmed in this case and spilled out and beyond the edges. Perhaps a bit more of a shelf hem on that outer edge would keep it in the valley.
I can imagine the little lip on the edge is flattened down for every tile to sit flat.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
joshik (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 05:51 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 74
Rewards Points: 71
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
I agree with Neal. We tend to do that when we aren't talking politics.



That said, if you are assured that the leak was not from upstream, some Ice/Water on the deck to the valley metal wouldn't be overkill.



Its likely that the valley just got overwhelmed in this case and spilled out and beyond the edges. Perhaps a bit more of a shelf hem on that outer edge would keep it in the valley.
I can imagine the little lip on the edge is flattened down for every tile to sit flat. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.diychatroom.com/images/smilies/wink.png[/IMG]
Cool. I'll pick up some i/w shield.

Another question, the courses of paper should not be on top of the valley flashing, correct?

As I was taking up one side it seemed like it was installed like this:

1. I/W underlayment up/down the valley
2. Valley flashing on top of i/w
3. Courses from each side overlapping on top of the flashing.

Seems like this would not be a good idea because if water were to spill over the flashing it would go under the paper and onto the decking.

I could be wrong but that's what it looked like as I was taking up the roof. I'll check again when I take up the other side tomorrow.
joshik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:56 PM   #14
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 30,482
Rewards Points: 4,618
Default

Re: Repairing Valley - a few questions


Quote:
Originally Posted by joshik View Post
Cool. I'll pick up some i/w shield.

Another question, the courses of paper should not be on top of the valley flashing, correct?

As I was taking up one side it seemed like it was installed like this:

1. I/W underlayment up/down the valley
2. Valley flashing on top of i/w
3. Courses from each side overlapping on top of the flashing.

Seems like this would not be a good idea because if water were to spill over the flashing it would go under the paper and onto the decking.

I could be wrong but that's what it looked like as I was taking up the roof. I'll check again when I take up the other side tomorrow.
Yeah I think that is right, any water that gets out of the flashing wants to be directed to the I&W and that wants to take it right to the gutter, The flashing would be for the bulk of the water.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
questions about built-in gutter repair user2016 Roofing/Siding 3 12-30-2018 01:16 PM
Need Roofers' expertise- No Metal Flashing in Open Valley? EthanInCanada Roofing/Siding 4 06-11-2017 06:06 PM
Barrel Tile Roof Questions corker Roofing/Siding 4 04-19-2016 01:08 PM
Shed Roof Questions jobondur Roofing/Siding 1 10-04-2010 11:52 AM
Electrical service too near valley of roof? adamselene Roofing/Siding 3 05-11-2007 08:56 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts