Open California Cut Valley - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2015, 01:19 PM  

Rewards Points: 14

Open california cut valley

Hello,

new to the forum.

I recently had a hail storm wipe out my house and was time to get a new roof.

Home built in 1987 and was re-roofed in 07. They had a closed cut style valley and used the fake drip edge (looks like drip edge but doesn't go back onto roof surface). Also the step flashing was not done correctly in my mind and the house did not have Tyvek under the steel siding.

So I decided to drop the hammer and do a total exterior re-work. I picked a contractor, to take on this battle as I did not have time for such a large project.

I spec'd, Owens corning cold weather ice and water at all eaves, valleys and roof to wall intersections, 15lb felt, new EDCO drip edge all around, Owens Corning duration shingles, Large 5x7 galv steel step and dormer flashing. 6 nails per shingle and instructed them to give me a large W valley open style (Prefer the looks).

I live in MN and liked the idea of keeping the valley clean from debris and personally like the looks of the painted open valleys in the neighbor hood.

Well, the roof got done to all my specs or materials but I noticed the valley construction was not something I have seen before. Its an open california cut , they ran a bleeder (full shingle parallel with W valley) all the up and started the coarse in the valley with no cutting.

It looks extremely clean and straight with no bulging. The roof has been on for several months and endured heavy rain storms and small hail already.

I called Owens Corning and they did not have a problem with this type of valley installation for my 5/12 pitch roof in MN and the building inspector said its cool as long as the manufacturer is good with it.

I asked the contractor and they stated thats what they do with heavy architectural shingles like the Owens Corning Duration.

Is this acceptable or should I be worried about leaking in the valley come 10 yrs from now.

PS - I sealed underneath the starter in valley just to ease my mind temporarily.

thanks for the help!!!!! been kind of on my own as not too many friends and family have the eye of detail like i do.

I attached an image of what it looks like (the style on the right)
Attached Thumbnails
Open california cut valley-open-valley-details.jpg  

Last edited by scha0786; 10-08-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2015, 01:55 PM  

Rewards Points: 1,220

If there is a problem with the valley it won't take 10 years to show.
I hate to say it but 5X7 flashing is not "large", in fact its pretty small and too small for your metric shingles. Hopefully the contractor ignored your step flashing spec's and did it right. An 8" step is needed for metric shingles.
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2015, 02:01 PM  

Correction 8x8 was used, thanks for the catch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2015, 04:31 PM  

Rewards Points: 7,593

I'm pretty sure that is what is on this 1995 house and no leaks yet.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:19 AM  

sweet, I think i'll be fine
Old 10-09-2015, 10:33 AM  
Low Slope Roofing

Rewards Points: 114

That is how almost all the valleys are done around here.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:45 AM  

interesting, I guess I have never seen it before and that is why I was curious.

The contractor also said the same thing, this has been done for a while now. Not a new method for them.

It does look really clean and tight from below.

We had the closed cut and it looked like crap and would always hold leaves and shingle debris.

The new W metal valley has not had one single leave in it yet. One thing I did have to do though was increase my gutter diverter size a little bit because when it rains hard out. that water is coming off of that valley at mach 6, lol.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:49 AM  

PS - I spec'd EDCO glacier white drip edge, fascia and downspouts.

Let me say this, that material is 10 times the thickness, weight and strength of aluminum!!!!

I put the fascia and downspouts on myself, the box of 10' gutter downspouts weighed a ton, lol

looks super sharp though against our new EDCO classic blue steel siding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement