OK To Put Screws Through Tyvek? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By ryansdiydad
  • 1 Post By acordeon2

Old 07-20-2018, 08:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 44

OK to put screws through Tyvek?

Wondering how bad it is to have a couple of screws through the Tyvek moisture barrier in an exterior wall.

We want to install a baby gate on our deck. One side of it can go into a deck post, but the other side would be against a wall. There's no room to easily put another post on that side.

That wall has T-111 siding on top of OSB sheathing and Tyvek. What I'm planning to do is screw a 2x4 to the siding, with screws going into both the wall sill plate and a window rough sill. But those screws would be going through the Tyvek. Then we would attach the gate to the 2x4.

And this is probably temporary. Once our kid is old enough, we will take down the gate, and will probably want to remove the 2x4 as well. If we remove screws, that would leave empty holes in the tyvek.

This is on a wall with a large roof eave, so doesn't get a lot rain on it. But is this foolish anyway? Any suggestions to minimize the damage?

Thanks!
acordeon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2018, 08:10 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,138

Re: OK to put screws through Tyvek?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acordeon2 View Post
Wondering how bad it is to have a couple of screws through the Tyvek moisture barrier in an exterior wall.

We want to install a baby gate on our deck. One side of it can go into a deck post, but the other side would be against a wall. There's no room to easily put another post on that side.

That wall has T-111 siding on top of OSB sheathing and Tyvek. What I'm planning to do is screw a 2x4 to the siding, with screws going into both the wall sill plate and a window rough sill. But those screws would be going through the Tyvek. Then we would attach the gate to the 2x4.

And this is probably temporary. Once our kid is old enough, we will take down the gate, and will probably want to remove the 2x4 as well. If we remove screws, that would leave empty holes in the tyvek.

This is on a wall with a large roof eave, so doesn't get a lot rain on it. But is this foolish anyway? Any suggestions to minimize the damage?

Thanks!
When you remove the 2x4 you can fill the hole with a screw or caulk or something.
Yodaman likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2018, 08:36 PM   #3
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 2,352

Or tape over it with Tyvek tape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2018, 09:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,502

How is your siding installed? Basically your tyvek is already full of holes. Hundreds of holes. A couple more won’t matter. Seal the holes as Neal suggested when you remove the 2x4
roofermann likes this.
ryansdiydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:25 AM   #5

Thanks, all. @ryansdiydad , it's true that the siding is nailed through the Tyvek, but I think those nail heads hold the tyvek tight against the stud, which seems like it would seal moisture a lot better than a random screw from ouside the siding will. And of course those nails are never removed.

@Nealtw , after I remove the 2x4, I was planning on using caulk and/or wood filler in the siding, and then painting over it. But that won't fill the hole in the Tyvek. I guess I could find a trim-head screw of same gauge, drive that in flush with the siding, then caulk/paint over that. Sound good?
Nealtw likes this.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:00 AM   #6
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 2,352

So you didn't cut away the siding. Nix the Tyvek tape. Once the hole is exposed, use a good caulk (narrow tip) and push caulk deep into the hole, finish it off on the outside and paint it. That way you have caulk through the hole, sealing it all up.
The Following User Says Thank You to chandler48 For This Useful Post:
acordeon2 (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 07:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
So you didn't cut away the siding. Nix the Tyvek tape. Once the hole is exposed, use a good caulk (narrow tip) and push caulk deep into the hole, finish it off on the outside and paint it. That way you have caulk through the hole, sealing it all up.
That is a really good idea! Think I'll try that. Thanks!
Old 07-22-2018, 07:48 PM   #8
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,138

Drive a screw thru a chunk of 1/2" plywood and remove it, then set the plywood on top of a bucket and put that where a lawn sprinkler will hit it and see just how little water you get in the bucket. Then compare the rain you would get on a vertical wall compared to the sprinkler.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
tyvek