Need New Roof And Have Questions - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree10Likes

Old 01-01-2019, 05:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Need new roof and have questions

House is 25 years old with original 3 tab shingles. Have a few leaks I think I stopped but I can barely sit on the roof without sliding down.

So I've tried getting quotes and actually had a hard time getting call backs. House is 1350 square feet total, pitch 7 12 and just a hip roof with an added back porch. Nothing too difficult.

Got 3 quotes, and was shocked at the prices. I was expecting 5000 to 6000 but the cheapest is 6900. On their estimate, they say 32 squares which according to my research isn't right. According to online, 100 square feet equals a square so shouldn't the estimate be 14 squares?

If anyone can weigh in on the price and square question, that'd be great.
Rgurleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2019, 06:15 PM   #2
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,248

Re: Need new roof and have questions

If your roof were flat, 14 square would cover you. But you already told us the pitch was 7/12. I am not going to do the trigonometry for you but the adder on 1350 sq foot of floor space would likely only be about 30%, not more than double as quoted. Are they adding in a garage or other out buildings? Covered porches, decks or breezeways?
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2019, 06:19 PM   #3

I have a double garage and back porch but It's included in the 1350. I didn't know the roof pitch affected the total squares, all my research didn't see that.

I plan to email them back asking about the squares needed. This company is very reputable and the cheapest but like I said, a lot more than I was expecting...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2019, 06:28 PM   #4
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,248

Are you sure that 32 square isn't a tare off count which would include 2 layers?
Old 01-01-2019, 06:50 PM   #5
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgurleyjr View Post
I have a double garage and back porch but It's included in the 1350. I didn't know the roof pitch affected the total squares, all my research didn't see that.

I plan to email them back asking about the squares needed. This company is very reputable and the cheapest but like I said, a lot more than I was expecting...
I found a hip roof calculator.
https://www.spikevm.com/calculators/...ip-asphalt.php
Rgurleyjr likes this.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
Rgurleyjr (01-01-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 07:40 PM   #6
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,764

Does their price include tearing off the old shingles? Disposal? Drip edge? Ice/water shield? All will affect the price in addition to the cost of shingles + installation labour.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Are you sure that 32 square isn't a tare off count which would include 2 layers?
Don't think so...
Old 01-01-2019, 08:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaitch View Post
Does their price include tearing off the old shingles? Disposal? Drip edge? Ice/water shield? All will affect the price in addition to the cost of shingles + installation labour.
6,900 is complete total including new flashings and fan. Like I said, was more than expecting but this company has great reviews. Another quote was 7,000 and the 3rd was 8,900.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:13 PM   #9
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgurleyjr View Post
6,900 is complete total including new flashings and fan. Like I said, was more than expecting but this company has great reviews. Another quote was 7,000 and the 3rd was 8,900.

Perhaps your expectation of $5-6K was not reasonable for your area.
roofermann and Rgurleyjr like this.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:28 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,948

Square root of 1350, google says is about 36 x36. Half of the gable roof would make that 18 base and 7:12=x:18, solving for x. X gives you height and solve for hypotenuse of the triangle. Hypotenuse x 36 would give you half of the roofing you need. Times 2 for the total. Add min 10% for waste. That is roofing only. I've never seen an estimate that gives you the entire material and labor in roofing needed, but that is a contract, doesn't really matter what it says as long as it includes a COMPLETE job.
I'd ask about how they would flash the chimney, any vents (pipes, exhaust caps), ridge venting. Should include all waste removal, permit, cleaning around the house for nails, etc, gutter guards (you can ask), ask about if any sheathing repair is included, if step and chimney flashing will be new, kind of valley flashing (weaved is fine but not california valley at your slope), etc. Photo would help figuring out what you need.

BTW, assuming 36 is wall number, if you have roof overhang, add the number in. And pay material only when signing the contract, remainder half when job starts, rest and tip when job ends (this means every speck of old roofing possible and nails). Ask for liability insurance paper copy and call the insurance company to check.
You also may want them to install a chimney cap at your cost.

In NJ and my roof is about 24x24. Homedepot and it was about $5000 for GAF architectural shingles. Your bids aren't that bad.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:24 AM   #11
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 3,854

I have a 1354 sq ft home with a gabled roof with overhang and a smaller gabled roof at right angle covering a porch of approximatly 120 sq ft.

About 5-6 years ago, I had the shingles on my home replaced. The job entailed tear out of 2 layers of shingles, water proofing membrane at all the seams and eaves, cutting a ridge vent on the peak of the main gable, replacement of 4 water damaged sheets of plywood underlayment, installation of roofing felt, 55 - 60 bundles of shingles (can't recall exactly), metal flashing and sealing around the chimmny, new air and exhaust vent flashing, painted all the vents to match the roof color and installation of a ridge vent.

I had bids running from $6000 - $8000.

The compnay I went with came in at $7000 and the work was completed in 2 days. The shingles carry a 30-year warranty and 10-years on the installation. I went with the slightly higher bid based on services offered, quality of products, workmanship and reputation.

Depending an all the job entails $7000 for your roof seems to actually be a good price.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm," and the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."
Drachenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:38 AM   #12

Much thanks to everyone who posted.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:53 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,186

we used to figure 15% waste on a hip roof. Toss in that and the size of your overhangs, which I assume are not figured in your 1350 and you could easily hit 21-23 square.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
we used to figure 15% waste on a hip roof. Toss in that and the size of your overhangs, which I assume are not figured in your 1350 and you could easily hit 21-23 square.
Taking a guess, overhang looks like 18". I'm gonna ask the company today.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:31 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,028

I would assume you'd be in the 18-20square range, and if so that is a very reasonable price range,at least for my area.
PatChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement