Moss Removal And "Treatment"? Quote - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mystriss
  • 1 Post By RRH

Old 05-23-2019, 03:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,778

Moss removal and "Treatment"? quote

Since we're not replacing the roof this/next summer we got a quote to get the moss removed and get another year or three out of it (mommy wants the expensive "traditional style" gutters that don't fit into the allotted budget.)

It's $200 to get the moss removed, $500 for some kind of "moss treatment."

They left the quote on the door so I never got to talk to them about this treatment thing, and I've been calling all week without successfully catching them (or getting a call back.) My husband's like leave them a message to do it when they can and we'll leave a check under the door matt for them, but I want to know what this treatment thing is. Like is it really worth $500 on a roof we'll be completely demo'ing in the next 3 years?!?

Anyone know of any 'super fancy' 'special' type "moss treatment" that we should blow $500 on, or am I right to just blow it off?

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2019, 03:35 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,798

Re: Moss removal and "Treatment"? quote

There are products you can just spray on the roof.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=spay+...w=1024&bih=738
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2019, 03:43 PM   #3

Yeah, but my husband doesn't want to go up there anymore. He thinks it's worth $700 to /not/ do it. I think it's only worth $200 hahaha

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2019, 03:58 PM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystriss View Post
Yeah, but my husband doesn't want to go up there anymore. He thinks it's worth $700 to /not/ do it. I think it's only worth $200 hahaha
We have one guy here that does it with a pressure washer, he would charge about $600 but that takes a lot of trust, you could do a lot of damage too.
I have seen his work because before a friend used him we went and talked to other customers that had him do the roof one or two years earlier.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
We have one guy here that does it with a pressure washer, he would charge about $600 but that takes a lot of trust, you could do a lot of damage too.
I have seen his work because before a friend used him we went and talked to other customers that had him do the roof one or two years earlier.
hmm maybe we should pay it then, I don't wanna short change the guy, he's raising three young girls.

This guys outfit is highly rated, was recommended by my parents friends, bonded and insured, does a great job, cleans up after themselves, and they said he's got great customer service (I think I've just caught them at a busy time with summer just starting.)
Nealtw likes this.

Old 05-23-2019, 04:30 PM   #6
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 550

They have moss problems in Alaska? Whodathunk

Sounds like he is highly recommended by the proper sources (word of mouth). We have a guy here who specializes in that sort of thing to and he has a very good reputation in the community. Other than installing zinc strips I'm not familiar with what the 'treatment" is other than I'm assuming it will contain something similar to a zinc oxide or some other inhibitor in it. At some point you gotta trust the professionals and just decide if you are willing to pay the price for their service.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:00 PM   #7
RRH

Rewards Points: 1,254

There is no special type of a spray on moss treatment that is worth it since they will wash off.

There is metal strips. Like copper or zinc roof strips. That leach some of the metal out and this does help some. But waste if replacing roof in a few years.

Be careful of the guys that pressure wash a roof. It should never be done by any more pressure than a garden hose.
It will clean but wash off the granular and shorten the shingle life.
DallasCowboys likes this.
RRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:42 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystriss View Post
It's $200 to get the moss removed, $500 for some kind of "moss treatment."
If removal is $200, isn't that the easy button?
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:37 AM   #9

We have a horrible moss problem up here actually.

Our roof is pretty bad because we've not done anything with it since 2010, maybe even earlier than that. My husband hit a moose in winter 2010 and his balance has been wonky ever since so he's not wanting to get out on the roof. We'd been planning to replace the entire roof as part of an addition so we've been blowing off the moss situation. However, we keep pushing off the roof replacement because we can't agree on, and thus get permits for, the addition. So basically it's just a big cluster-ya know and stuff that needs to be done isn't getting done while we argue about stuff like ceiling heights lol

@huesmann $200 is easy button for sure, but my husband wants to pay $700 for this treatment and I don't... maybe didn't, think we needed to waste the 'extra' $500 on a roof I want destroyed here in the next couple years.

---

I think, I've decided to just give the moss folks the full $700 though. If it's around $600 in the lower 48 to get a roof cleaned, then I'm whining over nothing. I suspect I'm just being miserly because we used to be perfectly capable of doing this kind of simple thing ourselves... Getting old sucks.

Old 05-24-2019, 11:26 AM   #10
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 550

but what exactly are you getting for that extra $500? I also agree that anything sprayed on the roof is not going to last very long because the rain and snow will strip it right off in short order. Do they guarantee "no moss" for x amount of years for that money? If not then I also would be hesitant. Why not just do the 200 and if it's a problem in 2 yrs do another 200 etc etc. Seems more worth the money to just get it cleaned three times when needed than spend it all up front
Old 05-25-2019, 08:06 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,994

Part of the cost could be the treatment chemical. I just bought wet and forget based on the forum talk. Although it is concentrated, the ratio is 5:1, water to w&f. I sprayed at a stream rate and until I saw some foaming on heavy moss. I was using quart container and 6 quarts ran out quickly and covering not much more than 10 square feet. W&f smelled good and kind of looked like blue car windshield fluid and feeling soapy. Not sure how it's going to work but putting faith in the forum talks.

If thinking zinc strip, you can get cheap galvanized sheets and use that instead for short term. First wash off the glaze or bright, though. Galvanizing, the zinc, needs to be exposed for it to start work. Weather will do it but takes longer. Pure zinc is expensive but it works well for number of years. But I think less than 10 yrs, maybe not more than 5. Sorry, can't remember. I used it (4" strip) on low slope roof (just held down with some bricks), modified roll roof and a mix of lichen and moss. Zinc is down to paper thin and I think lichen is starting to come back. So I guess paper thin zinc means it's not effective anymore.

Last edited by carpdad; 05-25-2019 at 08:10 AM.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement