Misaligned Roof Rafters - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bud9051
  • 2 Post By craig11152

Old 05-14-2018, 11:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Misaligned Roof Rafters

Hi there!

My wife and I are building a 10'x16' storage shed. We've put up all of the siding, roof rafters, and we are on to the roof sheathing now. Our floors are square, our walls are square, and everything up to this point has gone rather smoothly, but when we started to install the roof sheathing, there are some points where the plywood is wavy. Turns out, the roof rafters are slightly misaligned left to right.

while putting up the rafters, I drew a line from one end to the other, so that I could see if everything was aligned, and it appeared to me that they were (Note: Most of the time, I'm building this shed alone, and I put op the rafters alone too!).

I know structurally, it is sound, but I want to correct the waviness, without having to redo the rafters. I've read that shims can be used and even a portable planer to shave away the sections of the rafters that stick out (note the rafter are 2x6s, so there's plenty of thickness to spare, so to speak.

In case anyone is wondering, some of the more egregious misalignment is in upwards of 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch, but it's enough to notice the waviness in the plywood.

Has anyone run into this before? Please offer some suggestions.
prullan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2018, 11:45 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,452

Re: Misaligned Roof Rafters

Waviness implies "up and down" where square is different. Up and down should have been noticed when you "crowned" each rafter. Checking the crown puts all variations in the up direction and removes any that are extreme.

At this point you need to identify the worst and modify them or replace them.

Pictures if you can?

Bud
craig11152 likes this.
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2018, 11:57 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,220

I agree with Bud it sounds like a crowning issue.
I wold stretch a string across them shimmed up at each end and figure out which ones are the worst and replace them.
How many are there? shims and a planer seem like more work than a cats paw and pry bar.
roofermann and Nealtw like this.
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2018, 04:28 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,778

Depends on the size of the roof but cutting away 3/4" of the lumber can compromise its capacity. Esp with snow load. Check your rafter spans. Also not sure how green lumber will respond with that much cut. I may be over thinking, but ripping a lumber can make it bend/twist just as much.
You can only try. If cutting, I suggest a planer. Using a saw at that angle and space (in the rafter bays) needs some experience with that specific cut. Binding blade is common but always scary. Saw runs away from you.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
rafters , roof , sheathing , trusses