Masonite Siding Replacement - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2015, 01:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 850

Masonite siding replacement

home owner want me to replace all his Masonite siding on his single wide mobile home. i know i can do it but no idea on how much to charge, roofing is my trade. looks like about $1000.00 in material. the siding isnt completely rotted out but still dont know how hard it is going to be to get it off. ideas on how much to charge per sheet.
hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2015, 01:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,348

This is tantamount of someone calling me up and asking how much a, "regular" deck would cost? You need to be able to see the job and get the details to offer up an estimate. Same situation here.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2015, 02:14 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 304

In some trades, materials are 15% of the total, so, doing the math........$1,000 is 15 % of ? It will be some ridiculous number so you will have to adjust to your area's labor rates, etc.
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2015, 03:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 524

How old is the Masonite siding? Most of that stuff has been around forever and very likely contains lead paint. You will need to test it and follow RRP protocols if you are removing it (and it contains lead)..
CompleteW&D is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CompleteW&D For This Useful Post:
1985gt (10-30-2015)
Old 10-29-2015, 04:24 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteW&D
How old is the Masonite siding? Most of that stuff has been around forever and very likely contains lead paint. You will need to test it and follow RRP protocols if you are removing it (and it contains lead)..
I suppose it could. Be sure to test it. But I tend to think it not likely. Masonite was a product used a lot in the 70's. By then lead paint would have been a quite expensive paint, I think. Higher quality. But, Masonite was not an expensive siding material. It was economy product. So I tend to think not. I'm sure someone who is older will have some different info.
MaineLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:49 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 524

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineLL View Post
I suppose it could. Be sure to test it. But I tend to think it not likely. Masonite was a product used a lot in the 70's. By then lead paint would have been a quite expensive paint, I think. Higher quality. But, Masonite was not an expensive siding material. It was economy product. So I tend to think not. I'm sure someone who is older will have some different info.
You're probably right, but I would test if it were me, just to be sure. My house was built in the '60's and had Masonite on it. Knowing my Dad was a painter, I'm SURE it had Porter Lead paint on the thing. He always used the most expensive stuff made.

Fortunately, it was totally removed in 1988.... way before RRP..
CompleteW&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:24 PM   #7
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 7,574

Could charge mat'ls plus labor. Give your best estimate regarding labor up front, but explain this could go up or down a little pending how long it actually takes. Most people want to pay their contractor fairly.

Have you done any siding before? Familiar with window flashing and drip caps? Are you wrapping the brickmold? Prime and paint?
Old 10-29-2015, 06:44 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Could charge mat'ls plus labor.
What, no overhead and profit?
Old 10-29-2015, 06:57 PM   #9

should of taken pictures, the trailer is 90's and both sides are typical, few windows and a door on each side. masonite isnt in that bad of shape. 8' sheets on each side and about 45' long.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:58 PM   #10

i know with plywood replacement on the roof its about $65.00 a sheet to take off old and install new.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:28 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 172

The R&R of roofing (walkable) and siding cost are similar in my area. Painting, sheathing and rotted framing replacement is extra.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
1985gt (10-30-2015)
Old 10-29-2015, 08:13 PM   #12
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 7,574

trying to calculate a price per piece seams silly, nearly every piece will have cut outs for windows, doors, lights, other utilities. Not going to be like slamming up full sheets of roof decking

Last edited by Yodaman; 10-29-2015 at 08:16 PM.
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:40 AM   #13
Low Slope Roofing

Rewards Points: 114

Replacing with the same product or a different style of siding? It would be pretty easy you may be able to pull a full sheet or a good part of the sheet hopefully leaving a template for your cuts.

Why not do a cost plus? Actual material + Percentage and Actual labor + Percentage. Or you could do it the old fashion way, Materials X 3.

Your looking at roughly 28 sheets right? Replacing trim boards?
1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:36 AM   #14

seems material + three times labor would be the way to go. and yes, pulling a sheet and using it as a template is perfect, yeah about 20 sheets. yes also doing the trim boards, that i know about, did my own place, pretty easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement