IsoGard For Roof Deck - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Windows on Wash

Old 02-18-2017, 11:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

IsoGard for Roof Deck

I have a small roof deck that is currently covered by modified bitumen. This roof deck covers two bedrooms below. It's leaking. There are several soft spots. It needs replacement.

The house has an isolated West Virginia location. With some real difficulty, I've been able to get three roofers who do commercial work to offer proposals. All are located at least fifty minutes away. None are really eager to do this job even though I have indicated a willingness to pay a travel premium.

Each roofer wants to install IsoGard over the existing roof with a single membrane cap over everything. One roofer recommends PVC; another TPO, and the third suggests a granulated self adhering SBS modified bitumen.

I question putting patio furniture, a dog, and human traffic atop such a roof deck. I suspect that much sooner than later the cap layer will puncture due to IsoGard deformation. I also question the use of TPO and PVC. I've read repeatedly that these two materials are very slippery when wet.

There are other serious issues such as the need to limit roof weight due to the nature of this roof deck. However, that's not what this post is really about. I'm asking if anyone on this forum, possibly a commercial roofer or an end user who has experienced this setup, can comment for or against using IsoGard, TPO, and PVC used in the manner suggested by all three roofers supplying proposals.

These proposals range from $6,000 to $11,000 with very limited warranties for a flat 650 square foot deck. I'm sure if punctures occur, the roofer used would claim misuse, even though I have been quite specific regarding how we intend to utilize this deck. Unfortunately, these three are the only respondents from the many proposal requests made.

Thanks in advance.
caucapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2017, 12:02 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 10,208

Re: IsoGard for Roof Deck

I see no information about the mil thickness of the PVC or TPO. The cover board is a must and is pretty dense to be honest.

If you are using furniture up there, most systems, unless you cover them, will puncture in the right scenario.

I would prefer the PVC or TPO over the mod bit if you ask me and while they will be more slippery than mod bit, they aren't that bad at all.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2017, 01:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
I see no information about the mil thickness of the PVC or TPO. The cover board is a must and is pretty dense to be honest.

If you are using furniture up there, most systems, unless you cover them, will puncture in the right scenario.

I would prefer the PVC or TPO over the mod bit if you ask me and while they will be more slippery than mod bit, they aren't that bad at all.
Thanks for your comments.

Both TPO and PVC are at 60 mil. Worth noting that the current modified bitumen roof has survived in excess of twenty years with no significant damage until recently. If I could find someone to install torch-down modified over repaired or new wood for a reasonable price I'd be happy.

I've installed 3-tab and simple roll roofing in years gone by. I'd prefer to farm this project out. Unfortunately, the level of disagreement among roofers regarding the relative merits of various flat roof solutions is a bit disconcerting. I've been adamantly cautioned regarding IsoGard, PVC, and TPO for various reasons. Then there are, of course, proponents for all of them.

The Bethesda, MD. area roofer who proposed PVC turned around and told me that it was unwalkable when wet. He indicated that, at a minimum, rugs would be required. Rugs for a 650 square foot roof deck would bring their own issues.

I do believe that the installer's skill level is at least as important as the materials used. That alone would account for much of the unhappiness expressed regarding all of these solutions.

When push comes to shove, I don't expect any warranty to adequately cover damage if things really get sticky. Just trying to push through the confusion and nonsense to an appropriate resolution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2017, 01:23 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

Anything with a smooth surface, even concrete, is going to be slippery when wet.

Is the roof completely flat?

Why not incorporate some sort of floating deck and protect the membrane long term?
joecaption likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
MonsieurBon (02-18-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 01:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Anything with a smooth surface, even concrete, is going to be slippery when wet.

Is the roof completely flat?

Why not incorporate some sort of floating deck and protect the membrane long term?
The roof has a very, and I do mean very, slight slope.

I initially wanted a floating deck as an insurance policy. Unfortunately, I am hesitant to go this route due to weight considerations. The bedrooms are cantilevered out from a typical WV limestone mountain. They are supported by fifteen 4x4 struts extending from the outside walls to a concrete wall built into the mountain. The deck atop the bedrooms extends about six to eight feet beyond their outside walls with no additional support. So both bedrooms and deck were individually cantilevered thirty years ago using whatever knowledge and material that was available at that time in this area.

As the Bethesda roofer said, "I'm no engineer." Neither am I. Best to be cautious. A structural engineer may ultimately be required, just for piece of mind. It's a long way down from the deck to the Cacapon River below!
Old 02-18-2017, 02:28 PM   #6
Exterior Construction

+1.

If you are up there, you really should have it checked out. Now, i.e. when you re-roof, would be the time to do any modifications.

If it has some slope, you can do a mechanically seamed standing seam and be done with it. You will need some protection and that is what I would ultimately put the floating deck over.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:29 PM   #7
Exterior Construction

By the way, are you in the Fredrick/Harpers Ferry area?
Old 02-18-2017, 02:37 PM   #8

Quote:
By the way, are you in the Fredrick/Harpers Ferry area?
No, we are located between Berkeley Springs and Paw Paw. Like I said, isolated.

Again, I appreciate your comments.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:42 PM   #9
Exterior Construction

That is out there. Beautiful country for certain.

Did some metal out in Martinsburg a couple of years back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement