Invisaflow Metal Gutter Screens Overflow Issue - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Windows on Wash

Old 01-16-2020, 10:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 30

Invisaflow metal gutter screens overflow issue

Hi all! I've installed invisaflow powder coat metal gutter screens around my home in February of 2019. The roof pitch is maybe 4-12 or 5-12. Our basement has a history of water seepage so it's important that the gutters work optimally.

Link: https://www.homedepot.com/p/InvisaFl...0-25/205207107

They do a good job of keeping leaves and twigs out. But in heavier rains the runoff tends to overshoot the gutter. I've cleaned the screens and reduced shingle overhang to 1/2". I even tested placing the bottom shingle 1/4" higher than the metal drip edge ("negative" shingle overhang). The overshoot is improved but not eliminated.

Has anyone solved this?
Attached Thumbnails
Invisaflow metal gutter screens overflow issue-img_6289.jpg   Invisaflow metal gutter screens overflow issue-img_6291.jpg  
steves7839 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2020, 02:01 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 8,626

Re: Invisaflow metal gutter screens overflow issue

Hard enough rain, just about any gutter cover is going to send some over the edge. Trade offs of a cover.
roofermann likes this.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2020, 08:18 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 566

Your problem may be in the photo. I see some holes where water film is staying on. In rain, that film may be strong enough to create a surface for water to drain over, not through the mesh. Maybe the powder coat and wires are too smooth, easier for water to grab the sides. Maybe the gutter is too low. shingles should overhang the drip edge, if undercut, water could follow the drip edge and drain behind the gutter. Eave drip edge should have a built-in overhang.

Try the image aluminum guards. Replace one of these with the guard you have and see if it makes any difference. Look for 6" wide guard that's wide enough to slip under the shingles. Should go under the starter shingles.
Attached Images

carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2020, 01:05 PM   #4

I agree that the water film enables the water to overrun the screen. I may have made some progress. I experimented with bending a few screens lengthwise to create a gap below the shingle overhang. Once the gap is large enough to cause a waterfall effect, (about 1/2 inch) water drops directly through the screens into the gutter.

It is still TBD which shape will minimize trapping leaves and debris, and a method to make the bends consistent for all the installed screens.

I'll post a photo later.

Model of original invisaflow before installation: >----------

Model of trial bend 1: >------^---
Model of trial bend 2: >------v---
Model of trial bend 3: >------^---v ( edge is bent to sit under the drip
edge)
Old 02-13-2020, 08:30 PM   #5

Lightbulb

For the benefit of anyone who might have the same issue, I'm posting pictures of a solution I came up with after trial and error.

I bent the screen flat tops to create a valley. This allows rainwater to drop through the screen. I added a parallel bend at the shingle side, less than 1" in width. This lifts the shingles slightly and enhances the drop.

The next challenge was to duplicate the same bends across all 30 screens so they would mate. After using scribed lines on a flat piece of wood, I nailed a small trim piece on to align the screens consistently.

I'll add photos as soon as my iFPhone releases them from bondage.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:17 PM   #6

Here's a pic of the finished screens and the jig.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
gutter , invisaflow , overflow