I'm Finally Doing The Roof On My Shed. 'just' Some Last Questions - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2019, 08:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 34

I'm finally doing the roof on my shed. 'just' some last questions

I've posted some questions previously and then got cold feet about being able to re-roof my shed.

Well, I'm going to do it (this weekend?). I have the shingles, plywood, drip edge, tar paper and nails.

This is on a gambrel roof of a 10 x 16' shed.

I built extensions / eaves and finally finished those (made with 2 x 4s and 2x6s). The roughness of the 2x6's is exposed facing outward. I suppose I could cover them with nicer 'facia' wood, but not going to. I've gotten good with repeating 'it's just a (20 year old) shed', when wondering about this or that : )

I've watched a bunch of youtube videos and wound up with some questions I'd like to ask here if you don't mind:

1) sheathing overhanging the eaves on the gable ends: there's no overhang / it's flush with the facia / 2x6s, right?

2) Sheathing overhanging the eaves - on the bottom edge.... please see the pics below with the drip edge. A reminder - this is a gambrel roof / steep slope near the bottom edge of roof) Do I want / need to overhang the sheathing? Bend the bottom of the drip edge so water doesn't run down along the facia? I realized - too much extension and then the drip edge has nothing to nail into other than sheathing? That's not good, right?

3) the shed roofing surface is now 16 1/2' wide. I envision cutting the sheathing lengths to something like 7', 5.5' and 4' (yes, I'll make sure they end on a truss). (Just not making them something like 8. 8 and 0.5 - you want each piece to go across a couple trusses, right?)

4) the trusses are 16" on center NOMINALLY. I noticed some trusses aren't exactly the same distance from one end of the shed for that 1 truss (1 side might be 80" from one end and the other side of the truss might be 81" from that same end). So it won't line up with the plywood exactly along its entire length? I'm hoping I can just avoid nailing to that truss. And trying to unnail 1 side and move it an inch seems like a chore!!

5) I have some left over adhesive underlayment from our house roof job done last year. I was going to use that on the shed? Just start it at the bottom edge and tar paper above that with a few inch overlap?

6) The drip edge along bottom would go under the tar paper / self stick, right? And over the tar paper / self stick on the gable sides?

7) tar paper just needs a few nails to hold it? all the shingle nails will be going through it ??

8) nailing the sheathing - I think I saw 8" along the edges and 12" 'in the field'?

9) I should do a bit of planning on the layout of the vertical overlap of the shingles so it works out correctly at the slope transition, right? they might say 5" overlap, but you can play with that a little bit over each row to adjust things at the top? I envision using the self stick underlayment over the sheathing at this angle transition and the shingles flopping over the bend. Yes, people here have said that's not the right way. But I saw videos of that way, I had it that way (with no leaks / failures there) and right now, I'm trying to keep things simple.

10) I envision lots of chalk lines for nailing sheathing then horizontal lines for the shingles?

11) Back to overhangs. Shingles overhang 1/2" from sheathing on sides AND bottom? Or I saw them flush to the drip edge? or overhang the drip edge?

12) Do you cut that gable side overhang on each shingle before nailing or cut them all once they are in place? I saw videos showing both ways : )

13) Any other tips?

IF YOU GOT THIS FAR DOWN THE POST.... THANKS!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
I'm finally doing the roof on my shed. 'just' some last questions-2019-08-05-19.52.22.jpg  
Feetsdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2019, 08:43 PM   #2

Re: I'm finally doing the roof on my shed. 'just' some last questions

sorry, another - if there's overhang of the sheathing at the bottom, do you prime the exposed underside of the sheathing?

I got the plywood sheathing (1/2"?) from ABC Supply. They say it's exterior, if that matters to your answer. Here's a picture of the stamp on 1 of the panels.
Attached Thumbnails
I'm finally doing the roof on my shed. 'just' some last questions-2019-08-01-09.14.54.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2019, 08:48 PM   #3

looking further, it's exposure 1 not exterior grade sheathing. that OK?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2019, 11:23 PM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feetsdr View Post
looking further, it's exposure 1 not exterior grade sheathing. that OK?
The glue is exterior grade, the plywood is not pretty and there maybe open holes in the surface that let water in , so prime it with oil base primer and give it a good paint job.
Feetsdr (Today)
Old 08-08-2019, 06:11 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,048

If you're going to see the bottom it's not the prettiest but it's fine to use for roof sheathing.

Just enough nails to hold the paper is fine,but you may want extra so it doesn't blow away or come out under your feet on the lower pitch section.
We usually do 3 rows of nails,bottom middle and top and a row every few feet.
PatChap is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PatChap For This Useful Post:
Feetsdr (Today)
Old 08-11-2019, 11:38 PM   #6

Thanks! Care to take a shot at any / all of the questions?

I'm in the middle? of this. Saturday 7 hours, sunday 6 hours. Got the sheathing and tar paper up. Drip edge and shingles next over next couple days. Am I slow? I think so. At least when done, i'll be able to say 'I did a roof'.

I'm realizing if the previous install was plywood and nails rather than OSB and staples, like it was, there'd be no way I'd have gotten off all the sheathing! those 8d nails and plywood I am using.... that's much stronger than staples and OSB, right? Yeah, the other worked... but plywood and nails? That's going to last a long time!
Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM   #7

In my area we overhang shingles over the drip, approx half an inch.
Im right handed,so I roof left to right. I cut the left side gable shingles as I go,and overhang the right side.
Every 4 or 5 shingles I use the edge of a shingle to cut them, I line it up with my gable starter shingle and use the shingle as a cutting guide.
To keep them straight, chalk lines aren't a bad idea. I don't know what shingles you are using so I can't comment on measurements,but you can just find what the exposure is from the manufacturer, double it and that would be a line every 2 rows.
Laminated shingles tend to run pretty straight if you take your time.
That style drip edge I would bend out slightly,but the overhang from the shingles will help that as well.

Drip under or over the underlayment is a point of contention amongst roofers, but on an outbuilding I wouldn't stress over it. Do whatever you feel is appropriate

Last edited by PatChap; Yesterday at 02:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to PatChap For This Useful Post:
Feetsdr (Today)
Old Today, 09:41 AM   #8

THANKS! I am still working on this. 6 more hours on Monday - putting on the drip edge and then starting to (finally) shingle (I put the felt on first but didn't staple along the bottom, knowing I was going to put the drip along the eave under the felt).

There's 4 surfaces being a gambrel shed. I did the more vertical surface on 1 side in 3? hours (buying 3 tab shingles and making the starter row shingles was a waste I felt - wasted 1/2 hour+ and several blades). Are starter row shingles that much more that people bother with making them?!

They are GAF Timberline HD shingles.

I hadn't thought about it before but first row needed 5" piece at end... would have hated / had a hard time if it was much smaller width... (you have the overhang and drip edge you can't nail into...) I guess I should have checked and trimmed a shingle somewhere along the length or put the short piece in the middle of the row?

And on more vertical surface someone suggested 6 nails (I am doing them by hand). So that took longer fumbling with the nails. And as someone also pointed out - working on an almost veritcal surface, I'm dealing with holding shingle, align it and then nail it on my own : ) And all this with the learning curve of roofing : ) Soooo many things I am learning... and likely will never do again (not sure if that's good or bad.... just want to get this done at this point!)

Oh! Tar paper and nails... somehow that (and all the other nailing) just seems counter intuitive... I don't want leaks. So I make it as impervious as possible - tar paper, drip edge, overhangs, etc.). Now lets put lots of nails through all those layers : ) I

It's going to rain heavy today. I put a tarp over most of the shed (but I did starter row along the gable (rake?) ends and that tar strip is exposed. At least I realized not to put the tarp over that tar, lest the tarp stick to it... Any big deal with rain on the tar paper? and then roll down UNDER the shingles for 1 heavy rain ? (if it gets through the tarp / areas the tarp doesn't cover).

Oh, and cutting the 3 tab to make starter... was putting the straight edge over the tar strip. DUH!

Oh, I'm also getting some shavings off the straight edge from all the cutting...

Fun stuff!
Old Today, 05:15 PM   #9

The tar paper might wrinkle.
Cut the wrinkles out and shingle it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement