Help With Soffit Vents Needed. - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2016, 12:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 489

Help with Soffit Vents Needed.

With all the other upgrades I'm making to my fixer-upper, I'd forgotten about the soffit vents until this extreme heat remided me. Need to get some ventilation in this attic. Don't have gable ends on this house, just soffits all around. The home inspection from last fall noted that the vinyl soffit, installed by the previous homeowner, blocks air flow to the original wood soffits, eventhough there are soffits in the vinyl. Thus, the attic is improperly vented.

In the short-term, I want to open up the soffits. The only way that I can figure to do this is to remove the vinyl and gutter (vinyal insert is nailed to wood), cut the plywood soffit from below, then re-install vinyl (assuming it doesn't get destoyed during removal. Don't see doing this from inside due to tight quarters from slope of the roof. If I were to cut out each of the many vinyl soffits from below, and through the plywood, is there a small vinyl soffit that could be inserted into the existing siding tracks. Suggestions welcome.

In the long term I want to fix the powered roof vent that was installed too close to the two static roof vents; right between them.

Arrows point to perforated vinyl soffits.

LarryJ-nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2016, 01:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 144

Re: Help with Soffit Vents Needed.

Pull the vented panels out.No need to cut.them They simply lock together .You will need to start at one end and remove them all.Take a 4" or larger hole saw and cut a hole thru the plywood soffit where the vented panels are located and then reinstall the vinyl.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2016, 01:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
Pull the vented panels out.No need to cut.them They simply lock together .You will need to start at one end and remove them all.Take a 4" or larger hole saw and cut a hole thru the plywood soffit where the vented panels are located and then reinstall the vinyl.
I looked at one of the vented panels before starting this thread. From what I recall, they aren't separate panels, but integrated into a long vinyl panel. Will look again.

Read this after starting thread; http://inspectapedia.com/ventilation...ts_Blocked.php

Might just pull all the vinyl and create one continuous soffit as they suggest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2016, 01:49 PM   #4

Better have another look.Been a remodeling contractor for over 40 years and occasionally know what I'm talking about.
You'll need to remove the cover on your fascia and the panels will be nailed or stapled to the edge of the fascia board every so often.They are simply slipped into the F channel.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
Better have another look.Been a remodeling contractor for over 40 years and occasionally know what I'm talking about.
You'll need to remove the cover on your fascia and the panels will be nailed or stapled to the edge of the fascia board every so often.They are simply slipped into the F channel.
OK, I see what you're saying. The soffit panels just slide in to the solid vinyl, but look integral.
Are you saying that I need to remove the facia board (and the gutter that's nailed to it).

If I were to cut and remove the vinyl, leaving the channels for siding, would I be able to insert new continuous vinyl soffit into the old channels. Is that the correct order for installation. Or does one of the channels go up last.

Untitled
Old 07-24-2016, 05:33 PM   #6

Quit talking about cutting.It all comes apart as it was put together.
There is a wrap on the fascia board.It should be removed after taking some nails out from the bottom of the fascia board and sliding it out from under the drip edge.
Now you can take the soffit down . Drill the holes I mentioned in an earlier post and replace the same.
No reason to cut or ruin anything as long as your careful.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:47 PM   #7

Mako, I do appreciate the replies. Just want to be clear that I don't want to reuse the vinyl. I want to add one continuous soffit vent the entire length of each side of the house, like I read about in the link above. This means cutting a wide strip out of the plywood behind the vinyl (not just a few holes with a hole saw) and using a different, completely vented vinyl with no solid sections. Similar to the one below;

Old 07-24-2016, 07:23 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,056

Soffit comes in large pieces, 10-12' and whatever width the panel is. You just cut into pieces that fit in the Soffit and attach it back up. It is very straightforward work.
It would be much easier if your able to remove the fascia wrap, but the channel along the wall doesn't need to be removed. I would anyway, so the colour matches.
PatChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:34 PM   #9

Thanks. I think I'll do some reading and calculating before deciding how much soffit venting to have. A ridge vent would do wonders too. Might just have to spring for one.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:50 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 526

Most of the continuous vents (optimum) have 9sq.in. per foot, 1/2 of the best (18sq.in.per ft.) ridge vents for your 1/150 attic venting- each side of roof. Install it as close to the fascia as possible for less water from rain/siding brought in attic from the ground wind (positive air movement).

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement