Is This Gap Too Large Between Ridge Shingles And Roof Plane? (photo) - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw

Old 12-01-2018, 02:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Is this gap too large between ridge shingles and roof plane? (photo)

Hi there, I am new to roofing, so assume I know nothing!

I found lots of dry rot in my crawl space, caused by water coming in from above. So I am cleaning it all out and trying to find the source of water ingress. I have just put a few more screws in along the drip edge which was lifting due to rotted roof sheathing below (presumably why there were no screws left in it!). I think wind-driven rain was probably entering here, but while up there I noticed a large gap between the ridge shingles and the roof plane.

The gap is just less than an inch high, and there is material (underlayment?) filling the gap and also sticking out from it a few millimeters. There is a vent for this roof-space in the side of the wall so I don't think this is for ventilation, but I could be wrong, and often am. I am worried that wind-driven rain might be penetrating here and going under the shingles, down the sheathing, explaining why it is rotten at the edges where the drip edge screws in.

Here are some photos of the situation. Maybe you could offer some advice?

Thanks for your wisdom in advance. Dan

https://photos.app.goo.gl/T5ijshwBUk1RSnwe7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2jZEAZCrA91Z9RBW7

Last edited by danmac; 12-01-2018 at 02:04 PM.
danmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2018, 02:08 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 22,106

Re: Is this gap too large between ridge shingles and roof plane? (photo)

That is a ridge vent, I don't know that they are all equal at stopping driving rain.
Johnny_inFL likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2018, 03:40 PM   #3

Thanks for that info. My wife said it might be a ridge vent, so she was correct!

The roof space is only small (16 x 10 x 4 feet), and it has 2 vents already. One of these is only 8" x 8" while the other is 18" by 12". I am no expert but I think it's sufficient for such a small space - I did read up on it recently while improving my attic space.

If I decide to block up this ridge vent, does anyone have any ideas what I could use to do it? Maybe a foam backing strip and some squirty silicone?

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2018, 06:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 12

Do not block the ridge vent. It is there for a reason.
It looks like only the left side of the roof (second picture) was replaced because the shingles are much newer there. That's when the ridge vent was put in. Maybe the leak is coming from the side of the old roof.
Fancuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:22 PM   #5
retired framer

Rewards Points: 22,106

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmac View Post
Thanks for that info. My wife said it might be a ridge vent, so she was correct!

The roof space is only small (16 x 10 x 4 feet), and it has 2 vents already. One of these is only 8" x 8" while the other is 18" by 12". I am no expert but I think it's sufficient for such a small space - I did read up on it recently while improving my attic space.

If I decide to block up this ridge vent, does anyone have any ideas what I could use to do it? Maybe a foam backing strip and some squirty silicone?

Thanks again.
Ridge vents are installed to solve a mold issue so closing it won't help.
The intake vents should be at the eaves not an end wall but that isn't the discussion for the day.

If you are sure the water is coming from there perhaps you could have a flashing put up on the guilty side and it would still vent out the other side.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:43 AM   #6

Thank you Fancaku and Nealtw for your help. The leak is indeed coming from the side of the older roof - concrete foundation is dry on the newer side. I did
suspect that one side of shingles was older than the other, but now that Fancaku says it, I can see it for sure. It's funny how more experienced people can just 'see' things that others cannot. It's why I am grateful for your help.

I found some old caulking come unstuck around the base of a door that I now suspect to be the main entry point for water, so I will leave the ridge vent in place to do its job. They might have put that in with the new shingles, when they found the sheathing was rotting.
Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ridge , roof , shingles , underlayment