Exterior Siding Ideas - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2017, 08:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 181

exterior siding ideas

I have a 3 story house that is very box like shaped. It is sided with cedar siding. I want to remove the lower 1/3 of the front siding and replace it with stone faced stuff. What is the current "good/great" product to use? Is it DIY able? I see fusion stone at lowes..i know home depot has there own version of stuff as well. I am in Canada so I am not sure everything will be available here.

Thank you for any help or ideas.
bcbud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2017, 08:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,118

Re: exterior siding ideas

#1, Post a picture of The house so we can see what your seeing.
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2017, 09:44 PM   #3

here you go..
Attached Thumbnails
exterior siding ideas-house-front.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2017, 09:51 PM   #4

I will be getting the front entrance rebuilt. The concrete steps have broken away from the landing and are starting to sink. I am thinking to get rid of all the concrete and have a new wooden landing built with stairs that come straight out the front to the grass. I am thinking of removing the wood about half way up the bedroom window on the right and bringing that line across the house. That should put me about half way between the carport and the windows above it.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:54 PM   #5

I want the stone siding to look like this:
Attached Thumbnails
exterior siding ideas-residential-exterior_sterling-ledgestone.jpg  
Old 05-05-2017, 06:21 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 898

Have cultured stone installed. Those vinyl siding faux stone panels are a pain to install and look fake. Cultured stone is about $7/ square foot plus labor, or you could do it yourself. That looks like ledge stone.

Here's one brand but it looks like you are going to need a mix of two different colors.

http://creativemines.us/craft-masonr...ft-peak-ledge/

http://creativemines.us/wp-content/u...y_brochure.pdf

Last edited by BIG Johnson; 05-05-2017 at 06:23 AM.
BIG Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:01 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,042

Here's a link to a ton of Canadian mfg. cultured stone.

http://www.canadianstone.ca/wp-conte...PSG_081414.pdf
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:08 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,826

That's a very unconventional design. I don't know if stone facing will improve it much. First, the front porch thing is a disaster, it looks like temporary work. To improve it I would extend it all the way to the left, coming forward about 3', shingle it, add posts. Extend the front stoop further left into a kind of a verandah.

I would paint the section to the right that sticks out a different color. Paint the section under the new front porch another new color. Leave the part above the new front porch the existing color.

By breaking it up into sections physically and with colors it will look less massive and dreary.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF. View Post
That's a very unconventional design. I don't know if stone facing will improve it much. First, the front porch thing is a disaster, it looks like temporary work. To improve it I would extend it all the way to the left, coming forward about 3', shingle it, add posts. Extend the front stoop further left into a kind of a verandah.

I would paint the section to the right that sticks out a different color. Paint the section under the new front porch another new color. Leave the part above the new front porch the existing color.

By breaking it up into sections physically and with colors it will look less massive and dreary.
Any chance you could draw a rough line on the picture showing the roof line of your porch idea?
Old 05-08-2017, 09:34 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,826

Look at the window to the left of the door, count six to eight rows of siding up from that, that's where your ledger for the new porch roof goes.

On second thought maybe it shouldn't run all the way over the garage, maybe stop it just before the garage. The slope on the roof of the porch should be very gradual, but enough to shingle, so you don't hide the top of the windows from the street.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:09 PM   #11

Need some ideas for front reno

I am trying to come up with some ideas to improve the front look of my house. The cedar siding has been repainted recently and was not done properly (bad primer). The paint is basically falling off the entire house.

I will be replacing the bottom window with one half the size (lengthwise). I will also be having the front entrance rebuilt because the concrete stairs have sheared off of the landing and are sinking. I will be having the front entry built entirely out of wood. I would like the stairs to come straight out the front onto the grass.

I am considering having the bottom 1/3 of the house stone veneered to break up the siding. Can you guys offer some more opinions/ideas on what i can do to make the front of my house less boring? Any opinions on hardie board? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
exterior siding ideas-house-front.jpg  
Old 05-10-2017, 06:49 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 898

Re: Need some ideas for front reno

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbud3 View Post
I am trying to come up with some ideas to improve the front look of my house. The cedar siding has been repainted recently and was not done properly (bad primer). The paint is basically falling off the entire house.

I will be replacing the bottom window with one half the size (lengthwise). I will also be having the front entrance rebuilt because the concrete stairs have sheared off of the landing and are sinking. I will be having the front entry built entirely out of wood. I would like the stairs to come straight out the front onto the grass.

I am considering having the bottom 1/3 of the house stone veneered to break up the siding. Can you guys offer some more opinions/ideas on what i can do to make the front of my house less boring? Any opinions on hardie board? Thanks
It's in Vancouver, sell it to some multimillionaire Chinese for a crazy amount and start over fresh.
BIG Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Johnson View Post
It's in Vancouver, sell it to some multimillionaire Chinese for a crazy amount and start over fresh.
The thought has crossed my mind many times..but all houses are overpriced right now. Unfortunately, there is nowhere affordable I could move to. And, I am not old enough to cash out and retire..
Old 05-10-2017, 07:43 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,522

Only advice I have is look at a bunch of pictures on houzz.com ... You might find something similar to your house or some other inspiration om there...
ryansdiydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:06 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 60

Threads merged and moved to the siding section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbud3 View Post
I might do rock up to just above the garage door opening and continue that line all across the front.

On the right side that bumps out I'd go with vertical t&g cedar (there's a few profiles to chose from).

The rest of the front above the garage needs to be broken up with a belly band dividing the second and third floors.

You could have possibly have lap siding like you have now above the rock to the belly band and then cedar shingles above that.

It would be nice to see a drawing of what the entry remodel is going to look like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement