Double Hip/Ridge Repair - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By craig11152

Old 06-12-2019, 06:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Double Hip/Ridge repair

Hello, what is the best way to fix the roofing problem in the picture? For example, should I leave everything alone and just nail one hip shingle over the one that tore off? Should I shave off shingle C and then hammer in a new shingle beginning with where B ends with an overlap with D and apply roof cement where shingle B and the new shingle C meets?

Ideally, I think it is better to lift up A and B and put a new shingle under B and over D. However A and B are nailed down and I do not want to disturb them if it is not necessary. I am also concerned about damaging them.

Should I use more than one shingle? If so, what is the best way to do this job?

The current shingles are IKO Cambridge 30 AR Earthtone Cedar. According to the manufacturer, “Hip & Ridge Shingles used for installation of [IKO Cambridge 30 AR] Shingles must be Marathon Ultra AR, IKO Ultra HP, IKO Hip & Ridge 12, IKO Hip & Ridge Plus or an IKO approved equivalent product”. If I cannot get any of these, is there a substitute that you recommend? I think the existing Ridge/Hip shingles have three layers on the end with the visible black piece and two layers on the other end.

Also, do you recommend a specific roof cement that I can use which is either brown or clear?

I plan to do the work around noon tomorrow, a 70 degree day.

Thank you so much for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Double Hip/Ridge repair-1.jpg  

Last edited by raisetheroof; 06-12-2019 at 07:04 AM.
raisetheroof is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 08:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,351

Re: Double Hip/Ridge repair

Any chance you can peel up A and B and just slip a new shingle underneath?
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 09:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
Any chance you can peel up A and B and just slip a new shingle underneath?

A and B both seem to be firm in place when the outside temperature was about 75 degrees.

I think it would be best to insert a new C under A and B. However, they are both nailed down, and maybe even glued down.

I am not experienced with this. I thought the least risky, yet effective, solution was shave off C, install a new C, and seal the joint between B and C with roof cement. Do you think that will be effective?

How would you do it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 02:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,186

you have to replace C and the one not labeled in front of A. B might just be a filler.
I would gently remove A ,the one in front of A, B whatever it is, the reminisce of C and redo them.
Take your scrap shingles, rub them together grit side to grit side and collect the granules that scrap off. Use those on any black roofing tar to hide it.
Nealtw likes this.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:33 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,351

Can you get a heat gun up there to see if they can be heated off?
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
Can you get a heat gun up there to see if they can be heated off?
huesmann, I don't have a heat gun. I think the way you and craig11152 are imagining the job being done is the proper way to do it, that is to replace A, B, and C. However, I am unsure if I will create a new problem in the process. I have never done this before.

What I have confidence in doing is removing the visible part of C, installing a hip shingle, applying roof cement at the joint of B and the new C, and sprinkling granules on it as well as on the cement over exposed nails. I hope that will hold. If it does not then perhaps a professional is needed. craig11152, thank you for the suggestion about sprinkling the granules on top of the roof cement. I was planning on doing that on the exposed nails on B after applying the roof cement, but it only occurred to me about sprinkling it on the joint between B and the new C after I read your post.

Is my idea a bad solution?

With my idea, should I do only two nails or four nails (one set driving through the black part of the new C and the second through C and D)? Keep it mind the existing Hip shingles are double layered.

Does the Hip and Ridge shingles look like GAF Timbertex Shakewood Premium Hip and Ridge Shingles to you? The shingles on the slopes are IKO, so I ask?

I am putting this off until Monday or Tuesday for better weather.

Last edited by raisetheroof; 06-13-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:12 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 647

Just listen to Axiom on that other forum
roofermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:53 PM   #8

Hi everyone, I completed the job; however, not as you envisioned. I did not remove anything, including the torn shingle. Everything was firm and I didnít want to mess with it. I slipped a single-layered shingle underneath shingle C and another single-layered shingle above it. On top of that I placed half of a shingle. Then, I hammered in four 1.75" nails except the one on the top left. At that point, I figured I should put a nail at the top left to prevent wind from lifting it up, which may have caused the original problem. I inserted pieces of shingle into the gap and nailed the fifth nail. Then I used Loctite PL Black Polyurethane Roof and Flashing Sealant to seal the junction between shingle B and the new shingle C as well as between the new shingle C and the small piece of new shingle which is overlapped the wrong way.

Does anyone think what I did is functionally a problem?

Thank you all for your input! I appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Double Hip/Ridge repair-6.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement