Deck Over Roof --Help, I Need Product To Repair Roof W/o Deck Tearoff - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By craig11152

Old 08-08-2017, 01:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 147

Deck over roof --Help, I need product to repair roof w/o deck tearoff

Thread Title, tells it all. I have a small deck (6' X 10") coming off a 2nd story wall, over a 1st story flat/sloping roof. Deck and roof. have been there for 25+ years. Recent heavy rains produced small water leakage on ceiling in room under flat roof. I should tear-off the small deck, put new roof on, and build back the deck. PROBLEM: While the City, the Neighborhood Association, and the Historic Society will allow the deck tear-off and new roof, indications are strong that they may not allow the build-back of the deck. At this point, the safest (but not ideal) solution is to, somehow repair the roof leak without tearing of the small deck. NOTE: I can remove the 5/4 deck planks to give me some access to the roof (deck framing, under 5/4 planks will obstruct some access to roof). My fantasy is to (1.) remove the 5/4 deck planks, (2.) pour 50 gallons.of warm tar between the expose deck framing and the roof, (3.) replace the 5/4 planks, and (4.) be happy that the roof will not leak for another 25+ years. If my fantasy is not workable, please help me with possible solutions (without tearing off the small deck). If your solution involves a product, please give brand name and where to purchase it. I would very much appreciate your help. ---Jaes.
jaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2017, 01:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,220

Re: Deck over roof --Help, I need product to repair roof w/o deck tearoff

do you know what kind of flat roof it is under the deck?
At 25 years the best you can do is buy a little time
joecaption likes this.
PatChap (08-08-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2017, 02:04 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 9,036

The deck may be loose and removable.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2017, 05:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 147

First, thanks for quick replies ---I was away from computer (working). Regards craig111I52's question: --Although its been 25 yrs., I think roof is "Durbeegum" (a flat membrane) I know the spelling is wrong ---but, as I remember, that's what the product name sounded like when pronounced. ---Remember, its been 25 yrs. Regards Nealtw's comment: The small deck is certainly removable ---I probably could tear it of in 3 hours (I am 75 yrs. old) ---30 years ago, it would have taken 1.5 hours. ---But, as I stated in my original post, tearing it off is not the problem ---getting approval to build it back is. --NOTE to anyone replying to my post: There may be times when I am away from computer for significant amounts of time --So don't be offended by lack of immediate response. ---Thanks, Jaes.
jaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:47 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 712

Is the deck that important? If it's for a walkout window or door, replace with just bar/rail? Flashing for the roof is prime and anything that gets in the way must be removed. Fantasy not allowed.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:34 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,130

Derbigum is most likely a modified bitumen roof. At 25 years it's done a good job and is due for total replacement.
Is there any way you can take out all the internal framing leaving just the outside? That could possibly be enough to replace the roof by a skilled roofer.
PatChap is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement