Connecting Sunroom Gable Roof Or Shed Roof - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes

Old 10-10-2018, 11:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 336

connecting sunroom gable roof or shed roof

I have a roof bump up area (see pic), I need to join a gable roof to this but the bump up area is more narrow than the room width (gable width) looking for framing suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
connecting sunroom gable roof or shed roof-bump-out-.jpg   connecting sunroom gable roof or shed roof-marked-up-bump-out-.jpg  
Nealtw likes this.
lpranger467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2018, 05:50 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,948

Re: connecting sunroom gable roof or shed roof

Where the new roof meets the old, you will have a valley. At the valley, you will need a base plate for the rafters to sit on. At the lower plane, you can double the plate. Or shim with thin ply to make up the difference. It does look like you want to remove the shingles so you can see what you're dealing with. Example, for framing, you want to know where the rafters are, if they are framed to take the new roof load. The bump could be severely water damaged as well.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2018, 09:03 AM   #3

I had actually exposed the underside of these rafters (inside) when I made a vaulted ceiling so I know theyre good. Just a quick follow up though if I double up the plates on the lower part of the bump up wont it make the ramp (plywood slope) different for that area ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpdad View Post
Where the new roof meets the old, you will have a valley. At the valley, you will need a base plate for the rafters to sit on. At the lower plane, you can double the plate. Or shim with thin ply to make up the difference. It does look like you want to remove the shingles so you can see what you're dealing with. Example, for framing, you want to know where the rafters are, if they are framed to take the new roof load. The bump could be severely water damaged as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2018, 09:49 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 17,812

Why is that bump even there?
It makes the whole roof look odd.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:20 AM   #5

I agree, The area that I want to attach sunroom is actually bumped back from the house about 2 feet so I think when the house was built instead of doing a shed roof from the originally pitch point they pulled the rafters out the extra 2 feet which made for weird little bump ups on top of the roof that now have to be flashed.

I had considered just building out each side to widen the bump out so the new gable would lay flat, only problem with that is I will get a flashing issue around the chimney

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Why is that bump even there?
It makes the whole roof look odd.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:32 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 574

I wonder if something like this would work guys ? .
Disclaimer: Any of my replies, advice, product recommendations, or projects that I have done that I post on this forum, are just for informational purposes only. Any reader choosing to use my postings, advice, product recommendations, or choose to duplicate any of my projects for their own use...are doing so at their own risk.

Last edited by Gregsoldtruck79; 10-11-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:59 AM   #7

Are you saying to extend the bump up just in the area where the gable roof will tie in ? The weird thing is the bump up is a different height, nearly 7 inches on one side and 4 on the other so I'm worried it wont look consistent. I dont know what the original framers were thinking I'm trying to do it so it doesnt look hodge podge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsoldtruck79 View Post
I wonder if something like this would work guys ? .
Old 10-11-2018, 12:54 PM   #8

Well, we all know the best thing to do is get rid of the "bump" but that may not be in the pot...

You mean its tapered from the top of the ridge of the house down to the soffit ?
Disclaimer: Any of my replies, advice, product recommendations, or projects that I have done that I post on this forum, are just for informational purposes only. Any reader choosing to use my postings, advice, product recommendations, or choose to duplicate any of my projects for their own use...are doing so at their own risk.

Last edited by Gregsoldtruck79; 10-11-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:06 PM   #9

Yes its tapered down all the way from ridge, i cant get rid of it sadly because the rafters run all the way ti the bumped out portion of back wall so they are at a slighly different pitch
Old 10-11-2018, 01:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
Yes its tapered down all the way from ridge, i cant get rid of it sadly because the rafters run all the way ti the bumped out portion of back wall so they are at a slighly different pitch

Gezzz, I was envisioning it was only raised around 4.5 inches max and the "bump up" being parallel with the roof under it, all the way down the roof. It so, my little "kickout" in my sketch "maybe" would not have been too noticeable.

But with a 7- 8 inch rise of the bump at the soffit/gutter along with a new gable roof sitting on it, and then the non "parallel -ness " of it all going up the two roof lines, wow, it will really be noticeable to anyone with construction knowledge.

So sorry, my idea is of no help here. Good Luck on your project.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:37 PM   #11

Thanks very much though for input, house was built in 1938, not real certain what was in the water that year
Old 10-11-2018, 04:30 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,028

No matter what you do it's gonna look a little awkward. Only way for it to match up would be to widen the bumper to the new roof width.

You could also do small 'flat' roofs at the bottom, until the valley would be even with the bumpout.
PatChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:37 PM   #13

I had thought about a flat roof but worried about snowload,,probably going to widen the bump up. Thanks for reply, i think either way will be a bit off looking
Old 10-12-2018, 05:30 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,948

For the gable roof to look good, it must be framed level, plumb and each side equal to eachother. Maybe what you can do is find your ridge and string a level line and rafter lines. Forget about what's above for now. Use sticks nailed to the facia or whatnot so you can fasten and hold the strings. That should begin to show you what parts need to be filled in for the framing. Rest of the lopsided framing above, not sure, but maybe some of that can be hidden under more flashing?

Another idea maybe a cricket where the ridge starts? Or start your ridge and rafters, ignore the bump, then add cricket?

Last edited by carpdad; 10-12-2018 at 05:37 AM.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:13 AM   #15

I was thinking I would climb up on the roof and snap a pic of that valley area near the chimney, I think the only way to make this look nice is to widen those bump "up" on each side so they line with the bump "out" on the rear of the house. I'll update with a pic later

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpdad View Post
For the gable roof to look good, it must be framed level, plumb and each side equal to eachother. Maybe what you can do is find your ridge and string a level line and rafter lines. Forget about what's above for now. Use sticks nailed to the facia or whatnot so you can fasten and hold the strings. That should begin to show you what parts need to be filled in for the framing. Rest of the lopsided framing above, not sure, but maybe some of that can be hidden under more flashing?

Another idea maybe a cricket where the ridge starts? Or start your ridge and rafters, ignore the bump, then add cricket?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement