Condo Roofs: Silicone Coating Or Tear-Out-Replace-With-EPDM - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Windows on Wash

Old 03-26-2017, 07:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Condo Roofs: Silicone Coating or Tear-Out-Replace-With-EPDM

My Santa Fe NM Condominium has about 80,000 square feet of roof. The original roof was installed from 1994-1996 using a layer of the modified bitumen system. An "overlayment" of modified bitumen was added from 2007-2011. Now some buildings are having recurring leaks. Some have suggested applying a silicone roof system directly over the two layers of bitumen, at a cost of about $15 per square foot. Others have suggested tearing out the two layers of bitumen, for a full roof replacement, and installing EPDM roofing, for a total cost of about $10.50 per square foot.

Can anyone offer suggestions and insight on which path to take?
SantaFeNMCondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2017, 07:19 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 7,844

Re: Condo Roofs: Silicone Coating or Tear-Out-Replace-With-EPDM

So tear off and re-do is cheaper than a coat over here?

No question I would do the EPDM in this comparison for less and be sure that it is specified as white in your climate.
craig11152 likes this.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2017, 12:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,220

I'm curious why the second layer is leaking after only 6-10 years?
In any case I gotta go with WoW. If a tear off and EPDM is cheaper than a silicone coating it seems like a no-brainer.
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2017, 12:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 552
Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

If you have alot of water saturation tear off may be necessary because remediating any areas of wet existing roofing assembly is required before application of a liquid applied system. You WILL need to perform an infra-red thermal scan or similiar scan to "see" beneath and into the roof to determine how much area is saturated. When I am bidding recovery or restoration I always include the cost of the thermal scan in my bid, and give a cost per square foot for remediation. IT IS A WARRANTY REQUIREMENT.

Knowing nothing about the roof or the logisitics 15 a foot seems kinda high. 10 a foot is about on par with what I might charge for the vision I am seeing in my head for a tear off - it's in the ball park. You, in my opinion, are going to get a better roof for less money if you tear off and start over - but again I haven't seen the specifications so am just guessing.

Epdm is fine, is it being installed adhered, attached, ballasted? How thick, 45, 60 or 90 mil? What warranty is being provided?

I hope the following articles help:

http://illinoisroofinspections.com/f...g-questions/98

http://illinoisroofinspections.com/u...ing-systems/84
Old 05-16-2017, 12:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 8

Thank you, Windows on Wash, Craig and Grumpy. I think I was off in what the roofer will charge for the silicone. Your other comments are helpful. More in another thread, re roof maintenance.
SantaFeNMCondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement