Condensation On Roofing H-clips - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes

Old 11-18-2019, 04:50 PM  

Rewards Points: 94

Condensation on roofing H-clips

Sooooo...got a call from from a lady about the recent job I did on her house. Basically a low slope shed roof from the house over a deck. She says that it's leaking....and I'm thinking WTF?...lol. Go down and have a look and I can't see anything....until I look at the "H" clips in between the sheets of 7/16 Osb. They are all saturated because of the cold temps/high humidity, which in turn is wicking into the OSB. I suggested some etching primer<paint and 'slather' them....but I don't think that's going to help. Initially I assumed that the underside would be finished in metal soffit....but nay, they want to paint everything. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2019, 05:18 PM  
retired framer

Rewards Points: 1,108

Re: Condensation on roofing H-clips

The H clips are could enough to condense moisture out of the air. On certain days a tin roof shed will be like rain inside. How many 2x4 blocks would it take to cover the joins and H clips from below.
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2019, 05:32 PM  

Rewards Points: 6,994

If the space under that low slope roof is heated it will need to be treated just like an attic, insulation between the roof and conditioned space below and ventilated between the insulation and roof above. Being low slope creates a problem for natural ventilation as it needs low to high space to create the sir flow. Spray foam may be an option but all aspects of that need to be discussed, including a cold weather installation.

Bud
Yodaman likes this.
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2019, 05:38 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
The H clips are could enough to condense moisture out of the air. On certain days a tin roof shed will be like rain inside. How many 2x4 blocks would it take to cover the joins and H clips from below.
Yeah...that's what I was initially thinking. Probably a couple hours work. But......the tips of the roofing screws are sticking through about 3/8"...more metal for condensation. I think the best bet would be to cover everything up with soffit....keep the condensation away from underside of deck. But...not in their budget.....
Old 11-18-2019, 05:40 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
If the space under that low slope roof is heated it will need to be treated just like an attic, insulation between the roof and conditioned space below and ventilated between the insulation and roof above. Being low slope creates a problem for natural ventilation as it needs low to high space to create the sir flow. Spray foam may be an option but all aspects of that need to be discussed, including a cold weather installation.

Bud
No heat...open to the elements
Old 11-18-2019, 06:03 PM  

Ok, let me guess again .

Could you cover each seam with 1x3 sealed to the osb? That would keep the morning dew from reaching the cold overnight metal. There should be no moisture from above and blocking the air where the moisture is coming from should solve the problem.

As a note, now that I have super insulated my exterior walls there is no heat getting to the siding. Result is morning frost or condensation both on the outside and behind the siding. In your case you start with no heat but still suffer from overnight cold temps.

Bud
Old 11-18-2019, 06:22 PM  

Quote:
Ok, let me guess again .

Could you cover each seam with 1x3 sealed to the osb? That would keep the morning dew from reaching the cold overnight metal. There should be no moisture from above and blocking the air where the moisture is coming from should solve the problem.

As a note, now that I have super insulated my exterior walls there is no heat getting to the siding. Result is morning frost or condensation both on the outside and behind the siding. In your case you start with no heat but still suffer from overnight cold temps.

Bud
Yup...that wouldn't be a problem. Pretty sure those roofing screws sticking through will be though. Although I could back them all out and, hold a small piece of custom sealed ply to the underside and rescrew.....maybe come up with some fancy pattern....
Old 11-18-2019, 06:43 PM  

If nails or screws get in my way I cut them off with one of my diamond blades. Small ones I use my Dremal, larger projects get my rotozip or right angle drill, both have diamond disks, great investment as they last long time.

If the home owner will go for it I think it will work.

In any case, a lot easier than insulation and ventilation .

Bud
Sealik (11-20-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 06:47 PM  
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealik View Post
Yup...that wouldn't be a problem. Pretty sure those roofing screws sticking through will be though. Although I could back them all out and, hold a small piece of custom sealed ply to the underside and rescrew.....maybe come up with some fancy pattern....
I would bet that it is cold out and you just finished the roof so they were outside admiring the work with the door open with a lot of warm moist air going up inside the roof. Where else would warm moist air come from on a cold day.
ron45 likes this.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:57 PM  

Quote:
If nails or screws get in my way I cut them off with one of my diamond blades. Small ones I use my Dremal, larger projects get my rotozip or right angle drill, both have diamond disks, great investment as they last long time.

If the home owner will go for it I think it will work.

In any case, a lot easier than insulation and ventilation .

Bud
Well she did say she wanted to cut them off...lol
Code wise they should sticking proud......but. What compounds the matter is the new set of garden doors, heat comes out when the door is opened and has nowhere to go. Rafters are hung on a (flush) beam...
Old 11-20-2019, 12:29 PM  

Rewards Points: 4,768

You used OSB knowing it would be exposed to the elements.?
Old 11-20-2019, 01:08 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron45 View Post
You used OSB knowing it would be exposed to the elements.?
As stated above...................

"I assumed that the underside would be finished in metal soffit....but nay, they want to paint everything."
Nealtw likes this.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:10 PM  

Rewards Points: 2,496

Often the client just understands what they can readily see but don't realize the sheathing surface is the same condensing temperature and rather than dripping is absorbing that same moisture in those condensing conditions.
Nealtw likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
Sealik (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 02:20 PM  
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealik View Post
As stated above...................

"I assumed that the underside would be finished in metal soffit....but nay, they want to paint everything."
Clearly you would have done things differently if you understood they wanted a printable surface on the underside. So I would take no responsibility for the nails.

The condensation could be an ongoing problem if they add a nice heater of sorts in the patio area. That would move warm air with moisture to the under the roof area, especially if they are using a gas heater because they give off moisture.

If anything should be done is venting just like any house roof , with a high vent the warm air would have a place to go.
Sealik (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 04:30 PM  

Yeah.....with any shed roof coming off another structure it's somewhat difficult to vent. In my case dealing with shorter exterior walls, maintaining the existing trailer pitch and keeping the header above the doors/windows, I was left with one option...... flush beam. This leaves no space to vent like a typical roof. She does have a propane deck heater....not sure if she's fired it up though.
Nealtw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement