Attic/Roof Condensation Issue? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2019, 08:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Attic/Roof Condensation Issue?

Hello,

Very new to the home care game, so please bear with me.

I've been having leaking and/or venting issues with my roof & attic. My home is an old 2 story row house with a low slope roof sloping front to back.

When inspecting the attic after a heavy snow due to a water trail and dripping on the ceiling of the guest bedroom, I noticed the roofing nails were dripping water and there were water droplets on some of the attic ceiling/roofing material. A quick google search indicated this might be because of condensation and that poor insulation and venting may be the culprit.

I can't get to the very back of the house in the attic because of the low clearance, but can see about two small 1.5ft areas where there is sunlight coming through, so possibly some venting. But other than that, there are no soffets and no roof vents. The insulation on the attic floor is unfinished in some areas and has fiber glass insulation in others.

Does it sound like a condensation issue and how can I solve it?
Is it possible to install a roof vent on my own, what kind of vent should I use?
How much would it cost to have one installed? Is one vent enough?
How should I insulate the attic?
Is fiber glass insulation appropriate or is there a better material to use?

We've already dealt with so many leaking issues, so looking forward to getting this behind us. Thanks so much!
estreet36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2019, 08:54 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 22,106

Re: Attic/Roof Condensation Issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by estreet36 View Post
Hello,

Very new to the home care game, so please bear with me.

I've been having leaking and/or venting issues with my roof & attic. My home is an old 2 story row house with a low slope roof sloping front to back.

When inspecting the attic after a heavy snow due to a water trail and dripping on the ceiling of the guest bedroom, I noticed the roofing nails were dripping water and there were water droplets on some of the attic ceiling/roofing material. A quick google search indicated this might be because of condensation and that poor insulation and venting may be the culprit.

I can't get to the very back of the house in the attic because of the low clearance, but can see about two small 1.5ft areas where there is sunlight coming through, so possibly some venting. But other than that, there are no soffets and no roof vents. The insulation on the attic floor is unfinished in some areas and has fiber glass insulation in others.

Does it sound like a condensation issue and how can I solve it?
Is it possible to install a roof vent on my own, what kind of vent should I use?
How much would it cost to have one installed? Is one vent enough?
How should I insulate the attic?
Is fiber glass insulation appropriate or is there a better material to use?

We've already dealt with so many leaking issues, so looking forward to getting this behind us. Thanks so much!
Venting is important and perhaps you can post picture of front and back inside and out.
Moisture can come from roof leaks and house air leaks.
you have been looking after the roof, you want to inspect for holes around pipe and wires and light fixtures and attic access door.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2019, 09:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,442

Re: Attic/Roof Condensation Issue?

Post your nearest big city so we will know your climate.

Pictures as Neal suggested would help. Not sure what the minimum number of posts is to be allowed to add pictures but give it a try.
This may help.

and welcome to the forum
Bud
Advertisement

Tags
attic , condensation , insulation , venting