Advice Needed On Stucco Above Not Over Brick. - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2014, 08:23 PM   #1
Newbie with limitations

Rewards Points: 10
Advice needed on stucco above not over brick.

Problem : I've had a stucco failure on a small section of my house and removed all of the crumbling old stucco to reveal a section between 2 and 3 feet in height and just over 4 feet in length (15 sq ft). This Florida (high humidity) home was built in 1984 and poorly maintained by the prior owners and this is one of the problems that has revealed itself recently. The complication with this repair project is that the stucco begins at the top of a 2' high brick wall. The 4' wide section has additional brick on the left side, stucco over 2 x 10 window framing on the right and of course the brick knee-wall below. In order to prevent future moisture damage and proper drainage (if it's even needed), what kind/type of flashing should be done between each of the edges (brick on the side, brick on the bottom, stucco on the other side and old stucco that is still "good" above it)?

Additional Current Information : The rotted exterior wood (wall) under the brick has been replaced as well as 2 x 4 studs and interior drywall as well has been replaced. The thickness of the old stucco was a mere 1/4" total thickness, far less than the 3/8 + 3/8 + 1/8 inch total thickness so my plans, once I've properly flashed and sealed the repair section, is to power wash the old paint off and treat the old stucco as a scratch coat and build up a proper brown coat and finish coat over the entire area (approx. 168 sq. ft.) then paint the entire area with Elastomeric paint. Picture to be added tomorrow with daylight. The suggested thickness of a scratch coat is 3/8" and the entire current stucco (which by examination appears to be a two-coat process) is only 1/4" so the scratch coat itself will already be 1/8" thicker than the current stucco.

Image saved at : http://prntscr.com/2j1clo

My immediate concern is the type and method of flashing and sealing but any additional comments are welcome too.

Last edited by tjfitzgerald; 01-13-2014 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Added Picture
tjfitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
brick , flashing , seal , stucco , water barrier