What Brand Of Thinset??? - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2016, 03:36 PM   #1
Breakin' Stuff

Rewards Points: 1,360

What Brand Of Thinset???

Hey all, I'll soon be laying some Ditra heat over plywood. I did some googling and I'm going in circles trying to figure out what brand of thinset should be used. Some say the brands available at big box stores are absolute crap, other people say there is no problem with them. I just bought some Versabond... What do you guys think? Should I return it and try and find a local supplier for better stuff?

(I'm already aware I need modified under the Ditra, unmodified between Ditra and Tile.)
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2016, 07:57 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 754

Re: What Brand Of Thinset???

Bret,

You're OK with Versabond over ply. Although it's not a "premium" mortar, it meets ANSI 118.11, it's decent stuff. More important is which unmodified you're gonna use? Hint: I doubt the orange place has anything worth using.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2016, 09:56 PM   #3
Breakin' Stuff

Thank you!! I was stressing about this. Versabond it will be.

Regarding the un-modified - I have some TEC 338 uncoupling membrane mortar but I noticed the bag is hard near the bottom...

So, I found a website that says these are good:
-Laticrete 272 or 317
-Mapei Kerabond
-Custom Uncoupling Mat Mortar
-TEC Sturdi Set

Assuming that's right, I guess I find a local supplier?
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2016, 10:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2

I once used the versabond unmodified for bonding ditra to SLC. It was absolute crap. Scraped it all off and threw it out.

I've since switched to the mapei uncoupling mortar with good results. My local blowes stocks it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gary.bruzzese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:16 PM   #5
Tileguy

Gary, Versabond is modified, maybe you meant something else?

Bret, The Tec 338 is obviously old. Good thing it's hard and you noticed cuz even if not hardened in the bag it shouldn't be used if it's over 1 year old (date made not when you bought it), and then only if unopened and kept in a conditioned room off the floor, (if concrete).

Tec 338 & 337, Laticrete 272 & 317, Mapei Kerabond and Custom's uncoupling are fine. But why not find some Ditraset? Should be available in Cleveland.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
Old 10-14-2016, 08:08 AM   #6
Breakin' Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Bret, The Tec 338 is obviously old. Good thing it's hard and you noticed cuz even if not hardened in the bag it shouldn't be used if it's over 1 year old (date made not when you bought it), and then only if unopened and kept in a conditioned room off the floor, (if concrete).

Tec 338 & 337, Laticrete 272 & 317, Mapei Kerabond and Custom's uncoupling are fine. But why not find some Ditraset? Should be available in Cleveland.

Jaz
I'd love to use Ditraset. After all the work we are doing I do not want to cut corners on something so important. I just checked and it looks like Lumber Liquidaters carries it.

Another probably silly question, but here goes - The Versabond I purchased mentions "large format tile" on the bag. I'm using large format tiles but this is only going under the Ditra. Is this better or worse?
Old 10-14-2016, 08:13 AM   #7

Jaz,

You're right. I meant to say Custom, not Versabond

Good catch.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:45 AM   #8
Tileguy

Bret, You're good with LFT thinset under Ditra or anything. You wouldn't be cutting corners with one of the thinsets mentioned in #5 although get Ditraset if possible.

Gary, Leave that CustonBlend on the shelves to collect dust. I'd only use it for ballast in your truck in winter. I consider it one step above dirt.

Jaz

The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
Bret86844 (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 11:08 AM   #9

Jaz that thinset is about 2 steps below dirt. Told another guy I used it. He told me I'd be better off handing the clerk a $5 bill and asking him to kick me in the nuts.

I have had good experience with the mapei uncoupling thinset.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:59 PM   #10
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary.bruzzese
Jaz that thinset is about 2 steps below dirt. Told another guy I used it. He told me I'd be better off handing the clerk a $5 bill and asking him to kick me in the nuts.
Ok...Ok, I stand corrected.

Jazzy Tip: Anytime it says "standard" or "contractor grade", they're telling you it's cheap stuff. Don't buy it if it's an important component of the job.

Jaz

Old 10-14-2016, 03:44 PM   #11
Breakin' Stuff

Found some Bostik Ditra-Set at a local Virginia Tile. Definitely a place for contractors but they sold me some anyways. I wish the good stuff wasn't so hard to find! They have racks and racks of Ditra products but it's not available to the public. Buying Ditra from the bog box stores can take weeks to arrive.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:11 PM   #12
Tileguy

Aha...Virginia Tile over there in Brooklyn Heights or was it Warrensville Heights? Virginia Tile is based here in Michigan and I did biz with them since the mid '60's. My favorite distributor.

Yes, they do not sell direct to homeowners, it wouldn't be fair to the retail stores and us tile contractors if they did, think about it. Use them as a showroom for selections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret
I wish the good stuff wasn't so hard to find!
If you bought Bostik's Ditra Set, you've got the good stuff now. Hydroment, who developed Ditra Set under license from Schluter, is a division of Bostik. In the past they have used Hydroment - Bostik and Duro Bond brands.

You should avoid the big box stores for stuff like this. Lawn bags, OK, but things like this you will be hard pressed to find anyone who'd work there that knows much about setting tiles.

Jaz

Old 10-16-2016, 10:03 PM   #13
Breakin' Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Aha...Virginia Tile over there in Brooklyn Heights or was it Warrensville Heights?

If you bought Bostik's Ditra Set, you've got the good stuff now.
It was the one in Brooklyn Heights. I didn't know you were familiar with the Cleveland area!

Yep, I bought the Bostik Ditra-set.
Bret86844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:47 PM   #14
Tileguy

All I know about Cleveland is that it's about 2.5 hours from here and the Indians have beat up my Tigers lately.

Jaz

Sponsored Links
Advertisement