Tile Keeps Chipping In Tile Saw - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jlhaslip
  • 1 Post By MLMIB
  • 1 Post By chandler48

Old 03-10-2018, 11:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 396

Tile keeps chipping in tile saw

I have a wet saw with a new diamond blade but when I keep running my tile through it has small chips in the top coat (the pattern) along the edge. Nothing huge, so for the cuts at the top and bottom of the shower I could live with it but for the edging around the soap dish it'll drive me nuts, any tips?

Does the old fashion tile cutter do a better job at avoiding chips on the topcoat?

thanks for the help!
MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2018, 01:03 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 708

Re: Tile keeps chipping in tile saw

What style of blade are you running? Segmented or continuous rim? That might make a difference.
Also, cheaper blades will do that, too. The lesser value blades do not run true.
chandler48 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2018, 05:30 AM   #3
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,526

Try cutting with the tile flipped over, or adjust the rate of feed of the tile, Also a rubbing stone, will smooth up those little chips so you can't tell they are there.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2018, 07:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
What style of blade are you running? Segmented or continuous rim? That might make a difference.
Also, cheaper blades will do that, too. The lesser value blades do not run true.
using a RIDGID 7 in. Premium Tile Diamond Blade. It's continuous rim with laser cut slots, should show up on the home depot website. curious for your thoughts on if it's the blade. I have a cheaper blade that doesn't have the laser cut slots that I might give a try.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
Try cutting with the tile flipped over, or adjust the rate of feed of the tile, Also a rubbing stone, will smooth up those little chips so you can't tell they are there.

ED
I tried flipping it and also running it slow, that didn't seem to have any impact. I'll certainly run out today and pick up a rubbing stone and give that a shot, thank you for the advice!
de-nagorg likes this.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:16 AM   #6
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,318

Don't know if it's right or wrong but I have effectively used a sanding block or electric sander to dress up the edge of a ragged cut.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:26 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 528

Just curious. What kind of tile saw is it? I had an inexpensive table type saw where I had to push the tiles through it. It did a fair job but it left small chips just like you stated. Eventually I bought a saw where you pulled the saw across the tile and that ended the bad edge. The edge really wasn't bad, just not perfect. The tiles saws without water were no comparison with the wet saw edge.
BayouRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:01 AM   #8
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,020

Check whether you have the blade facing correctly.... there is an orientation to the diamond facing in regard to rotation. (But normally that has to do with longevity/wear on the blade)

But, it may likely be just individual to the exact tile you are using.... try a different tile and see if it does the same.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:09 AM   #9
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,584

Another thing to consider is the depth of the blade. Again, we don't know what type saw you are using, but a bridge saw can be set to various depths. Also, slow down on your push through. Going too fast can cause burns and chips.
mark sr likes this.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:43 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,251

It could just be the tile. I've cut lots of tile over the years and sometimes, I get tile that chips easily. I have to slow down considerably when making cuts that will show. I always dress up the edges just a little at a 45 degree angle which gives a much nicer look and removed any minor chips.
KHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouRunner View Post
Just curious. What kind of tile saw is it? I had an inexpensive table type saw where I had to push the tiles through it. It did a fair job but it left small chips just like you stated. Eventually I bought a saw where you pulled the saw across the tile and that ended the bad edge. The edge really wasn't bad, just not perfect. The tiles saws without water were no comparison with the wet saw edge.
cheap qep wet saw is what i'm using, so it's the push type. the top sliding tile saws seem to be expensive, but maybe I just need to suck it up. it's a shame, I tiled ~1,200 sqft with the cheap tile saw but I think this tile just isn't holding up as well when I cut it and I can't hide the cut edges under molding.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHouse75 View Post
It could just be the tile. I've cut lots of tile over the years and sometimes, I get tile that chips easily. I have to slow down considerably when making cuts that will show. I always dress up the edges just a little at a 45 degree angle which gives a much nicer look and removed any minor chips.
how did you put the 45 degree edge on? did you do it with a sanding block, or with the tile saw?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement