Tile Backsplash - Adhesive, Thinset, Or Mortar - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By SPS-1
  • 1 Post By jeffnc
  • 1 Post By jeffnc

Old 09-30-2019, 01:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 330

Tile Backsplash - Adhesive, Thinset, or Mortar

I've done floors using thinset, I've done a bathroom wall using tile ashesive. I was reading and watching some videos. Some use tile adhesive, one looked like they were mixing and using thinset? One said to use mortar but it looked like they were mixing thinset. One said not to back butter wall tiles because they will be hard to set. Confusion. Please clarify.
JLawrence08648 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2019, 03:20 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 6,140

Re: Tile Backsplash - Adhesive, Thinset, or Mortar

Thinset.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2019, 04:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 8,294

A lot of people are not precise with the words they choose. Some people call thinset "mortar". Technically, there is a difference, but thinset is the correct item.
For a backsplash that will never get wet, "mastic" (adhesive) is allowed, but seems most opinions are to use thinset.
I always backbutter tiles, but I am just a DIYer, not a pro. So look for opinions from others that have done more tile than me.
Dave Sal likes this.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2019, 04:31 PM   #4
retired painter

Rewards Points: 634

I'm not a pro tile guy either but on a backsplash you can use mastic [premixed] or thinset. I used thinset on mine.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:27 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 380

From Tile Council of North America (TCNA) FAQs:

"What is thinset mortar, dryset mortar, or drybond mortar?

Thinset mortar is a blend of cement, very finely graded sand, and a water retention compound that allows the cement to properly hydrate. Tile set by the thinset method is adhered to the substrate with a thin layer of "thinset" cement. The terms thinset cement, thinset mortar, dryset mortar, and drybond mortar are synonymous. This type of cement is designed to adhere well in a thin layer - typically not greater than 3/16th thick. For example, a 3/8" notch trowel will produce a 3/16th inch thick coating after the tiles are pressed in to the cement. While very minor adjustments in height can be made, this method is not appropriate for adjusting the level or flatness of a surface - rather the tile will follow the plane of the substrate."
tdisss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:45 PM   #6
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 58

Depends on the substrate. If tile backer, I use thinset. If drywall I use mastic.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:46 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,504

I prefer thinset, not a mastic fan. No need to back butter small size tile used for backsplashes, like subway tile for instance. If you are using a larger tile, 12" x 12" or larger, the new I would back butter with a thin coat to ensure adhesion.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:13 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 5,886

IMO the advantages of using premixed adhesive are too great, with no disadvantages, to not use it. It is fine for a backsplash. There is no need to backbutter with it. There is very little force acting on a wall tile, compared to floor tile.

Regarding terminology, thinset is mortar (a type of mortar). But anything you use to install tile is adhesive. Thinset is adhesive, mastic is adhesive. However mastic is is an older product and not really used anymore, although the name has stuck. It is now acrylic premixed adhesive. Mastic is an organic compound, from a tree I think. Obviously acrylic adhesive is not that.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:02 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 330

I back butter floor tiles, should I also back butter wall tiles or will that make them stick out too far?
JLawrence08648 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:16 AM   #10

If back buttering makes any tile stick out, or up, too far, then you're doing something wrong. But it's really not necessary for wall tiles since there is no force acting on them. Just make sure they're adhered securely.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:34 AM   #11
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
IMO the advantages of using premixed adhesive are too great, with no disadvantages, to not use it. It is fine for a backsplash. There is no need to backbutter with it. There is very little force acting on a wall tile, compared to floor tile.

Regarding terminology, thinset is mortar (a type of mortar). But anything you use to install tile is adhesive. Thinset is adhesive, mastic is adhesive. However mastic is is an older product and not really used anymore, although the name has stuck. It is now acrylic premixed adhesive. Mastic is an organic compound, from a tree I think. Obviously acrylic adhesive is not that.

I'm with JEFF...... where water is not involved like back splashes, using pre-mix mastics seems immensly more convenient. I do use the premium CUSTOM product that has very good excellent "grab".

Never had a problem.....
Old 10-06-2019, 10:42 AM   #12

If you mean this, it's what I use as well. Although it claims it can be used on floors, I never would. And I'd be skeptical of using it on walls for tiles much larger than subway tiles too, because of drying time.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-B...0001/100015587

But maybe you mean this
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-B...OGA1/100284548
Old 10-06-2019, 11:02 AM   #13
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
If you mean this, it's what I use as well. Although it claims it can be used on floors, I never would. And I'd be skeptical of using it on walls for tiles much larger than subway tiles too, because of drying time.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-B...0001/100015587

But maybe you mean this
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-B...OGA1/100284548
I go ahead and spend the $24 for the OMNI second one.

I feel the same way you do with regard to flooring or large 12x12+ format tile......but I'm not quite sure why....maybe just background and what I'm used too.

I'd be interested if anybody has used it on flooring or large format and their opinion. Sure easier and cleaner to use on back splashes.....guess it would be darn expensive to use on flooring.

Best

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 10-06-2019 at 11:04 AM.
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:35 AM   #14

The reason you use a larger trowel size on larger tile is to fully support the tile. It has to take into account potential height differences and imperfect flatness on imperfect subfloors. So an 24" tile has to span potentially greater differences in height or a convex or concave imperfection. Therefore, the amount of thinset underneath it has to be thicker. While a 12x24" tile is not uncommon on floors, it sure is on backsplashes. And not only that, but a void or imperfection underneath the tile in a backsplash just isn't a big deal like it is on tile that you're going to walk on.

So I think you're right - putting on that acrylic adhesive with a 3/16" V notch trowel is one thing. Putting it on with a 3/8" or even 1/2" square notch trowel is another. It would get real expensive real fast. Covering a 10' square area would cost about $250 with the Omni adhesive.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement