Sealing Crack In Shower Tile - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By chandler48
  • 2 Post By jeffnc

Old 07-03-2020, 01:09 PM   #1
Rav

Rewards Points: 918

Sealing crack in shower tile

In our shower stall some of the tile is cracked, not very wide but bigger than hairline (see attached photo). Weíre not concerned at this point with looks, we just want to make sure that water isnít getting through the crack. It looks like someone in the past may have tried stuffing some grout in there, but the grout itself looks cracked.

Here's what I was thinking of doing to seal the crack: I wonít try to remove the old grout -- itís too thin an area and I donít want to damage the tile any more than it already is. Iíll start by spraying bleach and using a stiff nylon brush to kill any mold, then clean it out and let it dry, then apply a thin bead of silicone caulk, let that dry, then razor blade over the crack to remove any excess from the tile surface. Thoughts? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Sealing crack in shower tile-img_6104.jpg  
Rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2020, 04:48 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 4,316

Re: Sealing crack in shower tile

Without cleaning the grout out, you don't stand much of a chance of getting a good seal. If you were to remove the grout, you can use a color matched grout caulk cutting the tip very finely and pressing the caulk into the space, wiping with a wet sponge afterwards.

Is this in a wet area?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2020, 05:27 PM   #3
Rav

Rewards Points: 918

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
Without cleaning the grout out, you don't stand much of a chance of getting a good seal. If you were to remove the grout, you can use a color matched grout caulk cutting the tip very finely and pressing the caulk into the space, wiping with a wet sponge afterwards.

Is this in a wet area?
Yes, it's a few inches above the floor of the shower, directly across from the wall with the shower head on it, so the water hits it directly. I do have an oscillating multi-tool and I can get a grout blade for it. Do you think that would work well?
Rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2020, 07:27 AM   #4
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 4,316

As irregular as the crack appears, you would need to be very careful with the oscillating tool. A grout removal tool with a small carbide tip may be better. I would say in looking at the condition of the tile, that you may be needing a renovation before long. https://www.homedepot.com/p/QEP-Grou...020Q/100194652
joecaption likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to chandler48 For This Useful Post:
Rav (07-04-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 07:51 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 7,156

I think you're missing the point here. Tile doesn't just crack. Something is making it crack. It's not floor tile, so there's no force applied to it. Normally shower wall tile cracks because the wood behind it is getting wet and has expanded. If so, that means the wood got wet before that tile cracked, and that means there is a leak somewhere else, and that means sealing this crack won't do you any good.

In any case, if there is a crack and water is getting in, then it's never going to dry out without taking out the tile.
joecaption and Dave Sal like this.

Last edited by jeffnc; 07-04-2020 at 07:53 AM.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
Rav (07-04-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement