Schluter Ditra-Heat Sensor Wire Routing Inside Conduit Or Out? - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2018, 04:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 92

Schluter Ditra-Heat sensor wire routing inside conduit or out?

Total remodel of bathroom - just had rough-in electrical inspection this morning and passed but the inspector wants me to replace the "handy box" for the Schluter thermostat with one that connects to conduit to run conduit to the floor for the heating cable. Easy enough.

So my question is does the pair of sensor wires go in the same conduit as the heating cable? A different conduit? Or just fished inside the wall?

In Schluter's video, they show the sensor wires outside the conduit and they pop through the faceplate in the corner outside the mud ring:

But I also find tutorials showing just one conduit and the sensor cables coming through the faceplate from inside the box:

I haven't purchased the Ditra Heat system yet and I wanted to wait until after drywall (the bathroom will be on hold for a few months while the bedroom is finished). But I guess I could buy the system now just to put in the sensor wires. It'd be easier to fish them in the same conduit after drywall.

The inspector said he will need to come back after the heating wire is installed after drywall but before tile (and charge me for an extra inspection).

Also any tips on preferred conduit type and easiest way to exit the conduit and into the ditra floor? Is cutting schedule 40 PVC like Schluter did with no conduit connector acceptable?

Thanks
ben5243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2018, 07:09 PM   #2

Re: Schluter Ditra-Heat sensor wire routing inside conduit or out?

Mostly answered my own question-

The installation manual from a 3rd party website has some more info that's not in the install video or on Schluter's website (although I'm sure you get a printed copy when you purchase the product)
https://www.warmyourfloor.com/media/...urrent-WYF.pdf

This makes sense now that I think about it - low voltage and power cannot run in the same conduit. I'm also pretty sure they can't occupy the same junction box which is why Schluter's video shows them pull it out of the corner of the drywall.

I guess I'll just plan on fishing the temp sensors up the wall cavity and out a separate notch in the sole plate.

Also - here is how I did my conduit for the heating cable in case anyone wonders. My inspector said ENT was fine (Electrical Non-metallic tubing) and it seemed easier than PVC because I had to go behind a box lower in the wall. I notched the sole plate with an oscillating multitool and a chisel.

It helped to mark 1/2" away from the sole plate on the subfloor so I know how thick the drywall will be. This should prevent any portion of it sticking out and getting in the way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2018, 06:24 PM   #3

Re: Schluter Ditra-Heat sensor wire routing inside conduit or out?

I had an extra length of ENT (I bought a 10' coil) so I decided I'd make life easier when I go to fish the sensor cables and installed it next to the power cable conduit. I was worried it'd be difficult to fish behind the lower electrical box. I just used a zip-tie to hold it in place so poking a fish tape down the bottom right of the mud ring will go right into the conduit.

Pictures right before the last piece of drywall went up

Sponsored Links
Advertisement