Retrofit Shower Corner Shelf - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By jeffnc
  • 1 Post By Domo

Old 05-07-2019, 12:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 24

retrofit shower corner shelf

I redid my bathroom last year and am very pleased with how everything turned out.
However, when I tiled the shower I forgot to put in the marble shelves I ordered. I am just now trying to figure out a way to use them, as my husband finds it pretty annoying to have bottles and razors sitting on the curb.

I was planning on using an angle grinder to cut out sections of the tile and insert the shelves in that way. I am not sure how to tackle cutting the short sides, or cutting all the way up to the end of the long sides without cutting farther than the area needed. My grinder also wouldn't be able to reach the inner corners. Heavy scoring and chiseling? This all seems to be a risky business. I really don't want to mess up the shower and the waterproofing.

I have seen some methods gluing the shelf to the wall using strong adhesives. I would be open to this, but the wall is slightly out of square so I don't know that the surface contact would be enough to hold.
I'd also just feel better if it was held up by something other than adhesives. These shelves are solid and they could really smash a showering toe.

Should I just not use the shelves I purchased and order a retrofit shelf kit? Are these able to work with an out of square corner?

If cutting and inserting it into my tile seems to be a reasonable method and I can figure out a way to do it (with the help of you good people) I'd like to do it, even though it seems tricky.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
retrofit shower corner shelf-img_20190507_134301_1.jpg   retrofit shower corner shelf-img_20190507_134233.jpg  
ESwierenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2019, 03:56 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 11,810

Re: retrofit shower corner shelf

I have stuck the ceramic shelf on tile with silicone.
This guy uses epoxy.
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2019, 01:58 AM   #3
Contractor/Engineer

Rewards Points: 1,036

Drill holes into the shelf and into the wall.

Insert Chromed/Stainless/Brushed "dowels" into the wall and shelf using epoxy. Select the material that will match your shower hardware. You'll need "slop" in the holes at the back of the shelf so that you can get the 90 degree opposed pins into the back - the epoxy will fill the slop of the hole on the back of the shelf and won't be seen...

The idea is to "float" shelf - leaving 1/2" or more, space between the shelf and the wall. You'll get good drainage, and won't have goo build up in the corners edges (because there are no edges).

See picture from above view.
Attached Images

Last edited by Domo; 05-08-2019 at 02:02 AM.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2019, 02:01 AM   #4
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
Drill holes into the shelf and into the wall.

Insert Chromed/Stainless/Brushed "dowels" into the wall and shelf using epoxy. Select the material that will match your shower hardware.

The idea is to "float" shelf - leaving 1/2" or more, space between the shelf and the wall. You'll get good drainage, and won't have goo build up in the corners edges (there are no edges).

See picture from above view.

I would like to see how you would line that up and push it on, in two directions at the same time.
stick\shift likes this.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:49 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,780

I think you will have to cut the tile. I think the best way would be install the shelf so the grout joint will be on top then less than perfect cut will be the bottom. Should be easy enough with a grinder and a diamond blade.

But I can recommend oxo stainless tub caddy. This is one with a pole that can stand on the tub or a shower. If a shower, double check the height. This caddy is made with low quality stainless. It will show some rust pitting but has lasted fairly rust free over the years.

BTW, this caddy is fairly costly. It is the only one, though, that I could trust. Do not believe all claims of stainless in amazon.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:10 AM   #6
retired framer

You could do this by cutting slots with a multi saw and stainless washers.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:08 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 5,518

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
I would like to see how you would line that up and push it on, in two directions at the same time.

Awaiting the YouTube video......
Nealtw likes this.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:56 AM   #8
Contractor/Engineer

Quote:
Good question - and kinda a fun thing to do, especially when folks say; "How'd you do that?"

Nealtw - I'm betting you've seen this before - it just didn't come to mind in this case...

This is a common problem with corner mounting, whether wood plexiglass or stone.

Holes that can be seen are drilled tight for aesthetics. And "sloppy" holes are drilled on one back side edge of the shelf. Those are elongated - usually double or triple the width of the pin, (or more. As an alternative, you can simply slot that entire edge but you'd lose style points unless you make a spline to reinsert and hide the slot from the end... So, when you try it with a slot - make sure to stop the slot before you get to the ends!

Procedure is to drill tight holes in the walls set the pins in epoxy. Mix up a second batch of epoxy using powdered shelf material saved from the drilling process to thicken it so it can be controlled fairly well (thickened). Mount the shelf by pressing into one set of pins and sliding the groove over the opposing set of pins. Then, reform/refill the displaced epoxy on the shelf and tape it in place till set.

My apologies - I had thought I mentioned "sloppy holes" in my original post - must have been too late at night...

Last edited by Domo; 05-08-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:58 AM   #9
Contractor/Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
Awaiting the YouTube video......
Ha-ha - me too!

Obviously, you don't have a big enough hammer!

Read the description (above) in my reply to Nealtw - it's kinda easy to do by slotting the back of the shelf (or whatever you're mounting).
Old 05-08-2019, 12:01 PM   #10
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
Good question - and kinda a fun thing to do, especially when folks say; "How'd you do that?"

Nealtw - I'm betting you've seen this before - it just didn't come to mind in this case...

This is a common problem with corner mounting, whether wood plexiglass or stone.

Holes that can be seen are drilled tight for aesthetics. And "sloppy" holes are drilled on the back side of the shelf. Those are elongated - usually double or triple the width of the pin, (or more, as an alternative, you can simply slot the entire edge but you'd lose style points unless you make a spline to reinsert and hide the slot from the end... So, when you try it - make sure to stop the slot before you get to the ends!

Procedure is to drill tight holes in the walls set the pins in epoxy. Mix up a second batch of epoxy using powdered shelf material saved from the drilling process to thicken it so it can be controlled fairly well (thickened). Mount the shelf, reform/refill the displaced epoxy on the shelf and tape it in place till set.

My apologies - I had thought I mentioned "sloppy holes" in my original post - must have been too late at night...
My shelf is just stuck to the tile with silicone. It's held good for about 12 years or so.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:48 PM   #11
Contractor/Engineer

Quote:
My shelf is just stuck to the tile with silicone. It's held good for about 12 years or so.
Yes, there are many easy and reliable fixes for OP, glad you re-mentioned that one for OP - but floating is cool and, to me, is a step above surface adhesive.
Nealtw likes this.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:55 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 5,518

Quote:

It's funny, I've seen this mentioned by manufacturers before. It seems hard to believe. I've never had the nerve to actually do it in a customer's home, but obviously it's working for some people.....
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:23 PM   #13
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
It's funny, I've seen this mentioned by manufacturers before. It seems hard to believe. I've never had the nerve to actually do it in a customer's home, but obviously it's working for some people.....
I am sure a stone one would be heavier so I think the epoxy would be best.
I just set it on a post with a shim under it so I could get the post out the next day and taped to the tile.
Advertisement