Plywood Versus Ditra, Or Both? - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-13-2011, 04:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Plywood versus Ditra, or both?

We're building a new home. Our subfloors are Stable-Edge OSB, and they have been nailed and screwed. In the rooms that we would like to tile, do we need to add plywood before the tiling? Is The Schluter Ditra membrane sufficient (without plywood) to ensure there will be no cracking? I would like to keep the hardwood and ceramic floors at an even level, and I don't see how that is possible if I have to add 5/8-inch plywood.

Last edited by Ron 17; 12-13-2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: typo
Ron 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

DITRA can go directly over the subfloor if it is a minimum of 5/8"

You have two choices of DITRA. It comes in thicknesses of 1/8" and 5/16".
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 750

The choice is not whether to tile over plywood, OSB or Ditra. I would not recommend tiling on plywood, and you can't tile direct to OSB. You need both otherwise concrete backer over the OSB. I like the Ditra route best though.

If your subfloor is installed correctly you will be good for Ditra as is. How thick is the OSB, the joists spacing, span?

If you wanna go 1st class why not install min. 3/8"-1/2" ply underlayment on all the floors, then Ditra in the tiled areas? Generally Ditra XL (5/16"), plus tiles = 3/4" hardwood, that's why they make it 5/16".

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement