Mortar Under Tile Remains Wet--why? - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2016, 04:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Mortar under tile remains wet--why?

Installed new ceramic tile in a shower pan about two weeks ago and have not used the shower. Noticed a tile was not level and removed it in order to reset it. When removed, I found the premixed mortar under the center of the tile was still damp--as if I'd put it in only a few minutes earlier. Mortar around the edges was dry. That made me curious and I took up another few tiles--same situation: dry edges and wet center. Any clue as to what I might have done wrong?
chemdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemdawg For This Useful Post:
BayouRunner (10-18-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2016, 05:37 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 754

Re: Mortar under tile remains wet--why?

You used the WRONG stuff! Remove all the tiles and get real "thinset" which ONLY comes in a bag.

My guess is that you missed reading the instructions which generally say this; Do not use on shower floors or areas exposed to prolonged water
exposure or steam.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]

Last edited by JazMan; 10-17-2016 at 05:42 PM.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2016, 06:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Thanks, Jazman.
Hmmm... What I used is a premixed thinset, but you are correct, the instructions do say to not use it for a shower floor. Also, in re-reading the instructions, I noticed this product is recommended for up to 8" x 8" tiles. We are using 12" x 12" and the manufacturer says to expect extended cure times. Thanks again.
chemdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2016, 07:55 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 754

Darn Men..........They do it THEN read the instructions!

A word about the word "thinset" & "thin set".

Sometimes the term "thin set" refers to the method of installation where tiles are bonded direct to the substrate such as Plywood, backer board or other membrane. So thin set instead of thick-bed as in a real "mud job".

Where as the noun "thinset" by industry definition must be made from Portland cement. Portland products can not be pre-mixed and stored in a container as they'l harden in no time.

That thin-set you used in nothing more than mastic with a little sand added used for a thin set installation in certain installations. BTW, although it's no where as good as real thinset, it does cost about 3x more per square ft. installed. Next time leave it on the shelves to collect more dust.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
wet mortar two weeks