Leaning Heavily Towards Tiling Couter Tops, Need Advice - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
jpc
jc

Rewards Points: 162
Send a message via Yahoo to jpc

leaning heavily towards tiling couter tops, need advice

I am finishing up a major home renovation including flooring, walls appliances. At the moment im in the middle of building and installing as they are built, fitting them in under the current laminate counter top, Im going to be replaceing the counter top and sink and am leaning heavily towards tiling these, as i am very pleased with all the newly laid tile in my house. Am in the dark on this so any and all input will be great appreciated.... which kind of tile and then the process it self, maybe some do"s and dont's , thanks guys and gals
jc
jpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,102

Well congrats on all the successful work to date, I know its always gratifying to preform successful projects.

About tiled counter tops, if you are doing it the prep work is the same as for floors, a solid base is always a must with tile!

Personally I wouldn't do it, as the grout lines will always be a concern for staining, I know there are advantages with being able to place hot things directly on the countertops.

But like stone tops they are cold to touch, you still need to use a cutting board to avoid scratches and the worse thing I would be concerned about with ceramic counter top, is they are uneven, the grout line would always be lower than the tile face.

Just my 2 cents.....

Mark
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
jpc
jc

Rewards Points: 162
Send a message via Yahoo to jpc

the staining was a concern of mine also, but you pointed out something else with the grout being lower than tile, very good point not sure if i'd like that, thanks
jpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2011, 02:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Not sure how much you will need but have you considered butcherblock countertop? I am going to use it in my kitchen. Ikea has the best pricing I could find.
240sx4u is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 240sx4u For This Useful Post:
ecowarrior8 (02-23-2011)
Old 02-16-2011, 02:44 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 558

Well the first thing that is important is your underlayment which consists of two parts 1) is usually ¾’’ plywood and 2) is a ¼’’ thick backer board when added to the plywood will give you a total of 1’’ thickness and a good sound base. Then go out and pick your tiles make sure they are non porous and that you have enough to finish the job. Try to pick tiles that have a hard surface are easy to clean something like porcelain or granite tiles would be a good choice. They are hard and don’t scratch easily. Also the bigger the tile the less grout lines you have and while you’re their pick up some tile and grout sealer when applied to your tiles and grout lines will prevent staining and also the proper mortar type like an ultra flex mortar will help.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

My house had 4x4 porcelain tiles on the kitchen counter when we moved in. Generally it was an unsatisfactory finish, the grout was impossible to clean, and the tiles eventually came loose. We ended up replacing the entire kitchen, and had solid granite installed, which was a much better solution due to the continuous surface.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:59 AM   #7
Been at it for 45 years

Rewards Points: 79

I installed ceramic tile on my kitchen countertops and used black grout. The tiles were white, and honestly, it looked great! I also like the look of honed granite. Polished granite shows every single speck of everything, including water drops.
This Old Spouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:23 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

any ideals how to fix countertop the is put together with a hump in the seam
ajjohanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

Well, I have done 2 houses that we still own with granite tiles (12"x12" ones). I glued them over existing laminate, I did not left any gap between them, and when I finished tiling, I used my fingers to put clear caulking and force it into the gaps. One counter I did it 4 years ago, another 2 years ago, and I'm going to do it in this actual house, I'm now in the process of installing the cabinets, then I'll install an simple 3/4 plywood, and tile over them, just like that.

If done properly, the finished product can't be differentiated at first sight from a real solid granite counter top, and because of the flexible "grout" there are/will be no cracks or water sipping (even if the counter is not too solid or moves). Notice that when I pass my hand over the surface, you are going to feel with your hands where the tiles joint each other, is not perfectly smooth as the real thing, but is close enough (and waaaaaay cheaper!).

Forgot to mention, when I applied the clear caulking, and first filled the gaps, and then I "painted" the entire counters with the same grout and then wiped very clean with a rug right away. After some months of use, eventually this little film will wear off and you'll finish with an even surface on the top (because where you used caulking the granite is not as shinny as untouched one).
I highly recommend do it as I did, I'm really pleased with the results. I haven't done any maintenance at all in all this time.

Last but not least, use a wooden cut table to cook, do not cut over granite because it will get marred eventually.

One of the counters I used a normal spruce wood that I routed to do a beautiful mold on the edge of the counter, and the last one I used the same granite for the edges too, both ways work just fine (but using the same granite as the border is way easier).

Last edited by Pirulo; 09-16-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Pirulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

Here are some photos of the finished counters.
Attached Thumbnails
leaning heavily towards tiling couter tops, need advice-2011-11-16-drumheller-01-house-102-inspection-day-02.jpg   leaning heavily towards tiling couter tops, need advice-2011-11-16-drumheller-01-house-102-inspection-day-05.jpg   leaning heavily towards tiling couter tops, need advice-2011-11-16-drumheller-01-house-102-inspection-day-06.jpg   leaning heavily towards tiling couter tops, need advice-2012-03-02-drumheller-074.jpg  
Pirulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement