Hardibacker Installed Without Leaving 1/8 Gap - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hardibacker installed without leaving 1/8 gap

I installed Hardibacker in two small bathrooms with wood subfloor (20 and 25 square feet). I received many different opinions regarding the installation. Finally I used thinset mortar underneath the Hardibacker (1/4 inch thick), and I screwed down the sheets according to the manufacturer's specifications. I taped the joints with alkali resistant mesh and covered them with the thinset. Finally, I coated everything with Redgard. Later I was told that I was supposed to leave 1/8 inch gap between the edges of the Hardibacker sheets and 1/4 inch gap from the walls, which I did not do. Any suggestions as to what can I do now? I haven't set the tile yet.
c_aulaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,924

Never left gaps when I installed mine and it's done nothing wrong.

Tile is still there, grout is still there...
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 768

I don't know how you missed the part about gapping the sheets 1/8", it should be right in there where you read the manufacturer's specifications. Or you didn't have the directions probably and knew the fastening schedule by the indentations. No problem you'll know better next time.

I doubt you're gonna have any problem since these are small spaces though. I wouldn't remove it to correct it anyway. Is there at least some gap at the perimeter? Normally the wallboard is off the floor and you can undercut the door jamb for relief.

Next time when you receive many different opinions, (and you will every time), two choices. Come here, and or go to the manufacturer's website.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you Ktkelly and Jaz.
The reason why I did not leave any gaps was because I was told so by a Home Depot floor guy. Anyway, even though I tried to set the sheets avoiding any gaps, I was not able to avoid gaps at all. There are gaps in between the sheets that measure a little over 1/16 of an inch. Regarding the gaps away from the walls, I would say that 50% of the perimeter has a gap of around 1/8.
c_aulaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 768

Sorry, but most of those nice people have little or no experience with these kind of things.

I think you'll be fine barring lots of water spillage. How are you gonna finish the perimeter, tile base or wood moldings? You need to leave the gap open with no grout getting in, otherwise caulk it.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement