Granite Color Enhancer / Worth It Or Waste Of Money? - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 364

Granite Color Enhancer / Worth it or Waste of Money?

I've been reading a lot online about my granite type and the potential color enhancers and sealers.

This is a countertop tile job (you can see the link in my signature).

Question:
Are color enhancers worth the money?
Have you used the MB Stone color enhancer?

My granite is St. Cecilia which is a Gneiss type of stone. I have done the lemon juice / oil test on the tiles so I know it needs to be sealed (probably a few coats).

I do want the wetter/deeper color to come out from the stone and this company (MB Stone) has an enhancer.

I've checked several "Tile Forums" and a lot of folks seem to like MB. One bottle should do the job so it's not a lot of money but I like to get opinions.

http://www.mbstonecare.com/Granite-S...ancer-s/49.htm
shadytrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 768

Hi Shady,

I must say I kinda enjoyed your other thread about all the hard work yous guys have been doing. As a man & husband I think you're an angel for working so hard and your patience.

I would not use an enhancer on granite. The stone is not gonna take much enhancer and you may be left with an oily residue. Most granites do not require any sealer but a high quality penetrating sealer can be used and it will fill microscopic pores. Penetrating sealers will not change to appearance of the stone at all.

Since you have scrap pieces, is there anyway you can talk the tile showroom to wipe a little enhancer on yours just to see?

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #3

Probably can do that, Jaz. I might order it and test it just as an experiment. Supposedly, the gneiss granites are pretty porous unless pretreated with resin which mine is not.

I sure don't want a water stain film for sure.

Thanks for following our project. I can't wait to try out the kitchen!

Last edited by shadytrake; 09-04-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #4

Well, we found a fluorocarbon alphatic sealer called Aqua Mix Sealers Choice Gold. We tested it on a couple of tiles and it sealed very well. We are going with this one and foregoing the color enhancer. Sealer going on tonight with a second coat tomorrow.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 768

Perfect, that's a very good sealer.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
shadytrake (09-07-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement