Concrete Leveling Over Cementboard - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MK_Chicago

Old 10-16-2016, 07:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 52

Concrete Leveling over cementboard

Hi Everyone,

I was pulling up some tile in my entry today (approximately 65 sq ft) and ran into an issue I could use some advice on. The entry is over an unfinished basement. I plan to put in new ceramic tiles.

I used a hammer drill with chisel bit and was able to successfully remove all of the tiles. However, I found that the concrete board underneath is close to an inch thick. There is a metal mesh before the subfloor. Getting up all of the concrete is going to be a big job.

My question is whether I could use a concrete self-leveling product over the existing concrete board in order to get it back to level and then tile directly over the top of that? Most of the 65 square feet came up pretty clean but there are definitely some spots where there are deeper gouges into the concrete (where you can see the metal mesh and inch down.

Has anyone does this before and is it an ok practice or do I just need to get all of the concrete up down to the subfloor?

I attached some pictures.

Thanks

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Concrete Leveling over cementboard-img_7242.jpg   Concrete Leveling over cementboard-img_7251.jpg   Concrete Leveling over cementboard-img_7238.jpg  
MK_Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2016, 08:09 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 768

Re: Concrete Leveling over cementboard

Hi Mike,

First of all, you did not use a hammer drill, it's a chipping hammer aka rotary hammer. Also the concrete base is not concrete board, it's a good old fashion mud job. You've got more than a few spot with deeper gouges, the mud is gone. That base is toast.

You'll either have to replace the mud or you might find it easier the install min. 3/4" ply over the subfloor. Then you'll be able to install your favorite concrete board, then the tiles. Get back when you're down to the subfloor for more advice.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2016, 08:22 PM   #3

Re: Concrete Leveling over cementboard

Thanks Jaz for the info. Yes, sorry I meant rotary hammer.

Thanks again

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2016, 10:18 AM   #4

To close the loop on this. I ended up ripping it all up. Came up clean but was a big job. However I am glad I did it the right way because it will make for a cleaner install.
Attached Thumbnails
Concrete Leveling over cementboard-img_1215_1476886675318.jpg  
jlhaslip likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement