Window In Shower - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2016, 10:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

Window in Shower

I'm attempting my first shower tile job. This is my old house that I moved out of recently so I have the latitude to take a little bit of time and not rush to get the bathroom back up and functional because I need to use it. That said, I probably could have picked an easier job to start with. This house is old, nothing is straight, level, or plumb and I've had to do a ton of shimming and fiddling with stuff to get things to where I think they are right. So, onto the meat of the problem.

This bathroom has an L shaped shower/tub, which means that it isn't enclosed on the opposite end. The strangeness comes from the fact that there is a window protruding into the shower area. And I have no idea how to end my tile against it and where to end any trim that goes around the window.

Here is the entire shower:

To the left:

To the right:

The tiles are 3x6 white subways tiles, BTW. I also have 2x6" bullnose tiles but my dad thinks I should just forgo them and butt it up against some trim on every side.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Minjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2016, 05:25 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,884

Re: Window in Shower

First thing I would have done is removed that window or at least reframed and moved it over.
#2, That tub was not designed to used with a shower, I would have removed it and replace with one that was and built a wall on that other end.
If you refuse to replace the tub, there needed to be blocking added behind the wall in two places (a 2 X 6 laying flat works well) so you have something to attach an L shaped shower curtain to.
I also would have used tile board and tiled that whole back wall because it is going to get wet when water leaks behind the curtain and rot that wall out.
#3, The last place I'd want to see a small piece of tile used is at the bottom row like the way you seem to have it laid out now.
#4, Never a good idea to have a textured ceiling in a kitchen or bathroom.
There imposable to clean and will be a dust and mold trap.
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2016, 12:49 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
First thing I would have done is removed that window or at least reframed and moved it over.
#2, That tub was not designed to used with a shower, I would have removed it and replace with one that was and built a wall on that other end.
If you refuse to replace the tub, there needed to be blocking added behind the wall in two places (a 2 X 6 laying flat works well) so you have something to attach an L shaped shower curtain to.
I also would have used tile board and tiled that whole back wall because it is going to get wet when water leaks behind the curtain and rot that wall out.
#3, The last place I'd want to see a small piece of tile used is at the bottom row like the way you seem to have it laid out now.
#4, Never a good idea to have a textured ceiling in a kitchen or bathroom.
There imposable to clean and will be a dust and mold trap.
Thanks...

Minjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2016, 02:45 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minjin View Post

To the right:

I do not know what rules apply in North America but that switch would (in this country) not be allowed within 600 mm (2 feet) of the tub (Zone 2) unless it was rated at IP44 or better.
FrodoOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement