Will Silicone Adhere To Cement Board? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2015, 10:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

Will Silicone adhere to cement board?

I'm going to be using full engineered marble (fake marble) slabs as my shower walls. The company that's making them for me suggests using silicone to adhere them to the substrate. They actually recommended that since there are not grouted areas like there would be with separate tiles and the only potential for water behind them is where I caulk or silicone the joints...to just use greenboard as the substrate.

I had decided to use cement board instead just as an added safety net, but the more I've been thinking, I've come to the question:

Will the silicone stick to cement board?

and furthermore if I decided to take a final precautionary waterproofing step of redguard over the cement board, will silicone stick to redguard?

Thanks in advance
samger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2015, 11:12 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,466

No experience with the products you are wanting to adhere but if the word - adhesive - is on the label it will stick cleaned concrete blocks together very well.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2015, 08:49 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 370

I would use a silicone that says it's made for that type of application like:

http://www.caulkyourhome.com/ge-silicone-II-concrete-and-masonry-caulk.php

I'm sure when they told you to use silicone they assumed you'd be putting it on cement board (shower substrates should be cement board). I'm a little confused as to the "why" for silicone. Silicone as your adhesive won't stop water from coming through the cracks and finding weaknesses in your cement board. I'm guessing the silicon makes it easier to get the tiles flat since they don't have grout lines?

Redgard is made to be used with thinset. I wouldn't use silicone unless it specifically says it will work. Your tile may not fall off right away...but maybe while you're taking a shower one day (ouch). Anyhoo, if redgard is done right, the shower will be waterproof and thinset would be fine (if waterproofing was the only reason behind using silicone...which still confuses me).
costgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2015, 08:54 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 474

I did one not that long ago and I feel that you would be safe in my option
BrowneBearLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 18

This is where the confusion and difference is. I'm not tiling, the process for laying tile is completely different. Thinset and cement board is recommended for tiling, however thinset is not recommended for the large full slabs. I've been told by the manufacturer of the product to use silicone for the adherence of the product, the problem I'm finding is silicone won't stick to all of the substrates that are recommended to be used behind shower walls. I did my own test and it won't stick to cement board, I called the manufacturer of the waterproofing membrane I was going to use and they have no clue if it'll stick to their product, so I'm left with only one option, and that's green board, silicone and then panels.
samger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:38 PM   #6
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

I think that will work just fine--no need for the Red Guard--However, if you do choose to use it--the silicone will stick very well---
Advertisement