Where To Start Remodel Project - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

where to start remodel project

I am taking on the challenge of redoing my main bathroom (walls, floor, shower, exhaust fan, vanity)
Where should I begin?
I have ceramic tile throughout on walls and I am guessing its 20 to 30 years old (could even be older I have been in house 15 years and house is approximately 50years old) - its still in good shape but old look and my wife wants gone and does not want tile put back up
Do I try to remove tile from walls or remove / demo walls to start from scratch and save a lot of time? I am guessing the tile will be a bear to remove and damage the walls in the process of removal so would it be best to start with demo of walls?
What step would you suggest be done first?
oiler39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 582

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler39 View Post
I am taking on the challenge of redoing my main bathroom (walls, floor, shower, exhaust fan, vanity)
Where should I begin?
I have ceramic tile throughout on walls and I am guessing its 20 to 30 years old (could even be older I have been in house 15 years and house is approximately 50years old) - its still in good shape but old look and my wife wants gone and does not want tile put back up
Do I try to remove tile from walls or remove / demo walls to start from scratch and save a lot of time? I am guessing the tile will be a bear to remove and damage the walls in the process of removal so would it be best to start with demo of walls?
What step would you suggest be done first?
well 1st you should see about a plan and permit with your city....and yes I would gut the entire room and start from scratch..then the mechanicals,,plumbing,heating, wiring, exhaust fan ,, insulation ,etc,,ben sr

Last edited by ben's plumbing; 11-27-2013 at 05:59 PM. Reason: can't read
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
Davejss (11-28-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 50

Start with the tiles, but chances are you will end up taking off the drywall or plaster also. This will also five you the chance to insulate or update/move electrical/plumbing. These jobs tend to get very involved, so be prepared to spend a lot of time on it. It is extremely helpful if you have another bathroom to use while the remodel is in progress. Makes it a lot less stressful.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sixeightten For This Useful Post:
DIYRemodeler (03-06-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #4

ok thanks for advice Ben
I have another bathroom & have been making sure that it is in good working order prior to taking this on
The Following User Says Thank You to oiler39 For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (11-27-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 11:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 17,896

Have a plan for getting rid of the old materials?
Own a real shop vac with a large hose?
Make sure to get some goggles, gloves, dust mask, brick chisel, flat bar, drywall square, utility knife, 6" 8" and 12" drywall knives, drywall tape and All purpose drywall compound, 1-1/4 course drywall screws, outside corner bead if there's any outside corners, drywall nails, 5 gal. plastic buckets.
Do not try and reuse the old plumbing shut offs, it's easier if you shut off the main water supply relieve the pressure, remove the valves and install caps so you can still have water to the rest of the house and make it possible to remove the old wall material and install new drywall with nothing in the way.
Remove the vanity and toilet before starting.
Buying or renting a hammer drill will make quick work of getting the tile off.
If there's carpet in the room outside the bathroom buy some stick on carpet protector.
If there's a window remove the screen and have a cheap box fan blowing out while working.
DIYRemodeler (03-06-2014)
Old 11-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #6

Joecaption,Sixeightten,bens plumbing - I really do appreciate all of your ideas. Some I was not prepared for but will address before moving forward
I am located in NW Ohio
The Following User Says Thank You to oiler39 For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (11-28-2013)
Old 11-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 17,896

It will take far longer and cost twice as you "think" it will.
This is not TV where they have people thinking a whole bathroom can be done in a weekend.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:38 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

Oiler39, joecaption is absolutely correct. I just completed a bath remodel and I'm extremely pleased with the way it came out. But it did take much longer than I anticipated and it cost me about 15% more than I planned. Every aspect of the bath remodel is like a mini project in itself. And if you are not a pro it will require time and usually some research in order to determine how to correctly address the situation. The DIY Network's 'Renovations Realities' TV show is a perfect example of how NOT to proceed. Having said all that...good luck and be smart!
DIYRemodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYRemodeler View Post
Oiler39, joecaption is absolutely correct. I just completed a bath remodel and I'm extremely pleased with the way it came out. But it did take much longer than I anticipated and it cost me about 15% more than I planned. Every aspect of the bath remodel is like a mini project in itself. And if you are not a pro it will require time and usually some research in order to determine how to correctly address the situation. The DIY Network's 'Renovations Realities' TV show is a perfect example of how NOT to proceed. Having said all that...good luck and be smart!
Thank you DIYRemodeler
I fully realized with working full time along with other family commitments this total remodel for a rookie will be a huge undertaking which i continue to plug away at
Most demo disposal and planning has been completed - i am close to beginning the actual remodeling - i have been doing a lot of research and reading on this work my biggest concern is the actual installation of drywall and tiling this is the area in which i have spent the most research time in preparing for
Old 03-06-2014, 11:51 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

Oiler39, drywall can be intimidating to rookies. I used to hire that part of the job out for years until my drywall guy finally told me that I could do it. Been doing it ever since. You can hang the drywall. Taping and mudding requires some practice to really get good but if you can frost a cake and you're neat, well then...

As for tiling, most DIY-ers do this themselves. I'm not one of them. I can't do the same quality of work as my tile guy. I've seen too many homeowner tile jobs that unfortunately look like "homeowner tile jobs". Do the stuff that you're comfortable doing and that you can do at a reasonable level of quality. Hire out the rest. Again, good luck!
DIYRemodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:04 PM   #11

I am still at this project but have a question on order of sequence
All demo work is done and have exhaust fan / electrical & ceiling installed
I planned to do walls next and have purchased hardi-backer board for shower / tub area but reviewing instructions & video etc... they indicate that board should be installed 1/8 inch above tub and floor but I have not installed tub yet and have not laid flooring - I was going to do floor near the end but now am unsure??
Any ideas to move project forward?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
construction , home improvement , remodel bathroom