Where To Center Pendant Lighting Over Island, HELP (PICS) - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2016, 03:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 238
Question

Where to center pendant lighting over island, HELP (PICS)

HELP!!! So we are at the stage of finalizing our pendant lighting, we are planning on going with 3 approximately 8" lights (Electrician will run three separate wires). Now the design dilemma is how to center them. If you look at final sketch provided by the cabinet maker you'll notice I will have an overhang on two sides of the island. The countertop (w/ overhang) measure approximately 4' x 9'. To the best of the GC ability once the countertops are on and the overhang is there the countertop will be almost even underneath the skylight, maybe 2-3" off at most on one side. So, I received three different views:

1) Center the lights using the ceiling / skylights at centering points. For example, space them out evenly between the skylights.

2) Center them using the countertop. I would need to come in about 18" from each edge of the countertop (because any less would put me too close to the start of the skylight on the right side).

3) Center them using the base cabinets. I would put the center pendant directly in the middle of the center cabinet (looking at them from the focal point of the picture) then space the other two pendants out evenly from the center.

I'm not sure what to do. I think that walking into the space and looking at the kitchen and seeing the pendants and skylights you'll notice if they are not centered in the ceiling and may look odd (going with option #1, but then on the flip side I would want my lights evenly space using the countertop as a reference since this will be a main part of everyday life, but not sure aesthetically.

HELP ME PLEASE. See attached pictures. Let me know if you need any others.
Attached Thumbnails
Where to center pendant lighting over island, HELP (PICS)-img_2499.jpg   Where to center pendant lighting over island, HELP (PICS)-untitled.jpg  
nutshellml is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2016, 03:33 PM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,546

Re: Where to center pendant lighting over island, HELP (PICS)

I want as much light as possible directly over the work area.

That is where it is critical to be able to see what you are doing.

You don't want any shadows to cast over the cutting of the foods, because cut fingers are no fun, and who wants their own blood in the food?

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2016, 04:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,514

Re: Where to center pendant lighting over island, HELP (PICS)

My two cents.

I would look at option 1 or 2. If the counter top is spaced evenly between the skylights then either option should be pretty much the same thing. I dont think being off a half inch here or there will make huge difference.

If you want to check it out. Tape some plastic cups on strings to the ceiling based on your different options and see what works. Or paper bags.. Whatever approximates the size well enough.
ryansdiydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2016, 04:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 238

Thanks! makes sense. I like the string idea.
nutshellml is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement