Where Can I Get Good Appliances? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By ktownskier
  • 2 Post By 123pugsy
  • 1 Post By ktownskier
  • 2 Post By MTN REMODEL LLC
  • 1 Post By MTN REMODEL LLC

Old 07-29-2019, 12:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Where Can I get good Appliances?

Hey guys! I'm new here. I'm moving apartments soon and looking for ideas to make my apartment super lovely!
emili0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2019, 01:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,724

Re: Where Can I get good Appliances?

Hi emili and welcome to the forum. Options range from dedicated appliance stores to big box stores to buying online. Although buying online might give a better price a local purchase gives you someone to deliver, install, and lean on if there are problems.

Been a long time since I shopped and much depends on what options you have locally. Make a list of the ones you want and start reading.

Bud
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2019, 07:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 484

I would recommend only dealing with Best Buy or Lowe's. If you have problem with an appliance and need assistance only these two companies will respond in a timely manner and resolve the problem.

I got a clothes washer and within a day I knew it was not going to last from the noise it made and how much it moved around on the spin cycle. Arranged quite easily with Best Buy to pick it up at my house and haul it down the stairs to their truck. A day later they delivered the new washer.

I check the owner reviews of appliances on Best Buy, Lowe's, and Home Depot, to try to see what problems people may be experiencing with a particular model. It becomes quite obvious which ones to avoid and this shortens my list when doing research.
Calson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2019, 08:32 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 22

Always remember that light is a universal tool that helps transform any house. Choosing the appropriate type of lamps and their brightness you can hide the flaws of any room and emphasize its advantages.

As a designer, I must admit that the interior should be individual. Works of art will help you achieve the desired effect. Pictures with philosophical overtones and black\white photos should find a place on the wall of the living room or bedroom.

To design a small space, it is quite undesirable to use many colors at once - two or three will be quite enough. Contrary to popular belief black color must be used. Small black accents will add contrast and volume to space.
Thomas Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:09 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,510

When you buy from a big box store, (Big Orange or Big Blue), once you leave the store, you are on your own. If it fails after a week or even a day, you need to contact the manufacturer for service.

The only exceptions would be if it were dead on arrival or if it was damaged when unboxed. Both need to done within days of being taken home so don't wait a month before installing or taking it out of the box. Another possibility is if it doesn't fit.

I can't speak about Best Buy but my wife and I worked for the other two places.

Lowe's is a good place to buy appliances at a deep discount provided you don't mind a few dings or dents or something that may have been installed and returned. All of our appliances are from Lowe's clearance area. We got a Kitchen Aid 5 burner Gas range for $100 (it goes on sale for $1900). Granted, it has a nice dent on the left side but it was going against a cabinet. And one of knobs is hard to turn, but it works.

Another place to look for appliances is your local appliance store. They may have a more limited selection and cost a bit more, but when you need service, they are usually the ones to do it.

Sears used to be the go to place for appliance but no longer.

Because of all the electronics in most appliances, you may want to consider an extended warranty depending on what is covered.

As for your design, @Thomas Ross has made some great suggestions. If you are a photographer, now would be a good time to make some large prints and have them printed on canvas or glass and hung on walls.

Good luck, welcome to the forum, enjoy your new place and have fun!!
Thomas Ross likes this.

The only stupid question is the one you DON'T ask!
Most of all, have fun! It ticks people off and ruins their day.
ktownskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:15 AM   #6
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 1,262

"good appliances"......nice oxymoron.

There aren't any these days.
MTN REMODEL LLC and lenaitch like this.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:54 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,510

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post

So true, so very very true.

You want to find ones that are acceptable.

Also, you want to make sure that there are people who service the appliances in the area.

Where I live, you can't find anyone to service Samsung or LG.

Whirlpool is pretty good at servicing their brands (Maytag, Jennair, Kitchenaid, Amana) as are
GE (GE, Monogram, Cafe, Profile, Haier and Hotpoint) and
Electrolux (Electrolux. Tappan, Frigidaire, White-Westinghouse and Kelvinator)

Of the three "US" appliance manufacturers, GE appliances is owned by Haier which is a company based in China, Electrolux is based in Sweden and Whirlpool is headquartered in Benton Charter Township, Michigan, United States.

While Whirlpool is the only US based appliance manufacturer and makes the majority of their appliances for US consumers in America, Both GE and Electrolux also make most of their appliances in America.

Just something to think about.
123pugsy likes this.

The only stupid question is the one you DON'T ask!
Most of all, have fun! It ticks people off and ruins their day.
ktownskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:10 AM   #8
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,014

Quote:

Pugsy ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^100%^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agree.... We recently put in all new higher end Samsungs. I did a lot of research and was not convinced that any brand was really dependable.

Consequntly, I went with the best pricing/delivery service that I could find. That was Lowes....great pricing....great delivery service.

(The Samsungs have been just OK. With 3 years limited use (my wife and I semi-retired and the kid's all gone), the dryer quit heating and started sqeeking really loud. Repairman wanted $350, I repaired myself with a $4 thermal fuse and a $25 improved OEM belt tensioner. The french door refrigerator latch broke...easy repair but new handle for $125. The DW,WM, and micro and electric range have been fine..... AND I've had no trouble with motherboards or anything I can't repair.)

If you are so inclined, I have found rather great repair service video's on the internet are available for Samsung).

Good luck...
123pugsy and ktownskier like this.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:51 AM   #9
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 1,262

Our GE Profile fridge started leaking a year and a half in. Threw it out after 4 years. Tech couldn't find the leak.

Kitchen Aids, (2) are both working well....for now.

Last edited by 123pugsy; 08-06-2019 at 12:06 PM.
123pugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:02 PM   #10
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,014

Quote:
Our GR Profile fridge started leaking a year and a half in. Threw it out after 4 years. Tech couldn't find the leak.

Kitchen Aids, (2) are both working well....for now.
My son also has had issues with his Profile refrig and GE washer...remember when GE was the top brand....
123pugsy likes this.
Advertisement