Where Can I Find Bullnose Marble Tile? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2014, 05:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Where can I find bullnose marble tile?

Hi all----I am looking to redo my kitchen countertop with 4x4" White Marble tiles and I cannot find in tile stores or online a bullnose tile the same size as what is on my old tile countertop now. It is a full 4x4" tile, but was poured and fired in a bullnose fashion that is in an "L" shape to just slide on to the edge of the countertop, finishing the front row and counter edge with one bullnose tile--the edge of the counter is rounded, not a sharp square.

Anyone know a company online that sells such a thing or do they just not make this type of bullnose tile anymore? Or any other ideas?

I live in the Denver CO area.

thank you
lkc001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

You won't find marble 'counter cap'---at least I've never seen it---if you are a woodworker--marble can be bullnosed using a belt sander--then polished using a slow speed angle grinder---or even polished using a random orbit sander.

Experiment---I've done a few with good results.

Some tile shops and all granite shops offer bull nosing services--expect to pay $8 to $10 a foot plus the stone---
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 06:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 18,118

By far a tiled counter top is one thing I would avoid.
A real pain to do something as simple as wiping down to clean.
Adding to the mantaince of the home.
Driop something on it from a cabinet above and it may crack.
Adding a possible place for a leak under the lip of the sink every 4".
Dragging pots and pans across it can scratch it.
Going to see lots of ad's for solid counter tops in realtors ad's, not one for tile.
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2014, 12:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 109

I absolutely agree about tile countertops. Whenever I get a customer into the box I work at I go over all the reasons why not to do this. My list of questions go something like this:

Do you cook? Do you roll out cookie dough or pie crusts? Do you want to clean food out of the grout crevices? What if you drop something on it? How are you going to keep it watertight? Do you want something easy to clean?

If my list of questions doesn't deter them, I strongly encourage them to use a large tile (at least 18x18) that is not highly polished (easily scratched) and doesn't have a texture to trap grime, small grout lines, epoxy or fusion grout. I also suggest schluter trims as a way to trim out the countertop edge.

Been there, moved into a house with 4" tiles, it was absolutely awful! (I do bake - had to buy a small portable island with stainless steel top that could actually be used for cooking). Terrible to keep clean. DON'T DO IT!
MaineLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:13 AM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

I love tile countertops. But you won't find L-shaped "counter edging" or "counter caps" made of marble. As mentioned above you can have marble tile bullnosed but that's about it.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:51 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 6,126

I like tile counters, but only really large format modern tile, like 12"x12" or 24"x24". I also dislike small tiles since it looks very dated and it hard to clean and use.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:58 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

all good advice

Thank you all for your responses and good advice----I have just started with the research process on replacing my countertops and backsplash---there's lots of countertop materials out there to research--and then of course, there is finding out the cost to have it done!

lkc001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:28 AM   #8
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 12

If you are seriously considering a marble or granite tile, especially marble, I would pick up a piece and experiment. What does ketchup or vinegar spilled on the surface and not noticed right away do to the finish, etc. Not all marble is a good choice for a kitchen.

Personally, re-doing my kitchen counter tops are on my to do list and I will most likely go with some type of tile.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:34 AM   #9

That's correct - marble is a natural stone that can be polished or honed. Honed marble is less shiny and less slippery. How is marble honed? Usually with acid. What are some common acids found in the kitchen? Lemon juice, tomato sauce, orange juice, vinegar, etc etc. So no, marble is not a good choice for kitchen floors, let alone kitchen countertops. Also, being a natural porous stone, marble will absorb liquids. So it will stain easily with any colored liquid.

As to size, the smaller the tile, the more grout joints you have and the more grout surface as a percentage of your countertop space. Grout also has a tendency to stain, not to mention just get dirty, mildewy, and collect crumbs in the valleys.

So I would say if I were to pick the worst possible way to tile my kitchen countertop, it would be with something like small, white marble tiles.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:21 PM   #10
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Marble would be a poor choice if not the worst choice due to reasons mentioned above. You can screw it up quickly.

A better choice would be Porcelain tile. Porcelain tile is made to mimic all natural stones and in some cases it is hard to see any difference.

The counter edging products are a different story. Those things are limited in availability, not big sellers. You could find an "L" edge of a different color and make it part of the design. The "L" edges aren't going to be made of porcelain I don't think. They will be made of a softer bisque.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Marble would be a poor choice if not the worst choice due to reasons mentioned above.
Well that's true. I guess a Travertine with a lot of open ungrouted holes could be worse!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement