What To Use In Kitchen Under Tile Backsplash? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2015, 09:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,130

What to use in kitchen under tile backsplash?

Do I need to use cement board under a glass mosaic tile backsplash in the kitchen? Is that overkill, or can I just tile right over the drywall? Or, I have some leftover RedGard that I got from a neighbor. Would it make sense to RedGard the drywall and then tile over that?

Thanks all.

Last edited by ZZZZZ; 01-21-2015 at 10:05 PM.
ZZZZZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2015, 10:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

People will tell you just to tile over the sheetrock. You see that.

In new construction or in a remodel when you are starting fresh, I install backerboard.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2015, 10:27 PM   #3

This is a remodel down to the bare studs.

if I were to use backerboard, does that attach right to the studs, or on top of the drywall?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2015, 10:55 PM   #4

It attaches directly to the studs. You can have your backsplash overlap onto the sheetrock, or you can finish the joint between the tilebacker and sheetrock and texture and paint. Usually the joint is covered by cabinets.

I just get 4x8 sheets of densshield and rip them down to 2x8 and hang these so that they are centered between the 42" upper cabs and the 36" base cabs. The joint between the sheetrock and the tilebacker will be covered by cabs except around the sink area and behind the stove, etc. I like to run the backsplash behind the ref and on a project I'm doing now, I'll run it down an empty wall and border it with an edge profile. It adds a lot to the wall and people love it.

It's also not a bad idea to just tile up behind where the ref and stove will be. It wont' cost anything to install some 50 cent ceramic there and it will solve some problems with cleaning, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to cleveman For This Useful Post:
ZZZZZ (01-21-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 12:07 AM   #5

Cleve, what do you use to cut the densshield around electrical boxes?
Old 01-22-2015, 07:38 AM   #6

A sheetrock stab saw. Just the other day, my helper was complaining that it was dull. I told him there was a file in the toolbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement