What Tools To Remove Old Fridge Motor In Kitchen Cabinet - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By lenaitch
  • 1 Post By SPS-1
  • 1 Post By lenaitch

Old 04-13-2019, 07:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 118

What Tools To Remove Old Fridge Motor in Kitchen Cabinet

I have the remnants of an old motor, minus the guts, but still with wires inside a mini 1930s fridge. It was built into a set of wood kitchen cabinets. I want to keep the cabinet but this old motor shell is bolted into the top of a thick metal (iron, steel) bar. It's immovable. I've tried a penetrating lube and WD-40.

Any clues anyone? it will cost me lot of money to hire someone to do this I know.

The pics are of the outside of the old fridge in the bottom left of the cabinet configuration -- the only cabinet without a modern cabinet pull, and then inside of the fridge of the motor.
Attached Thumbnails
What Tools To Remove Old Fridge Motor in Kitchen Cabinet-old-fridge.jpg   What Tools To Remove Old Fridge Motor in Kitchen Cabinet-oldkitchenmotor.jpg  

Last edited by LadeeDIY; 04-13-2019 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Pics upside down
LadeeDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2019, 08:33 PM   #2
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,776

Re: What Tools To Remove Old Fridge Motor in Kitchen Cabinet

The photo's not great but it would depend on how it is fastened. If it's nut-and-bolt you can get at the nut (or bolt) head with a hex socket, perhaps needing a long extension), box or open end wrench, adjustable wrench. Avoid vice grips at first - you run the risk of damaging the head. Your problem might be holding the other end of the fastener. It looks like it is under the base and I'm not sure you can access there.

There are also methods such a cutting discs, etc. but not sure how comfortable you are with tools.

Edit - I thought after that whatever the fastener is attached to underneath the cabinet might be 'captured'; i.e. welded to the cabinet or something like that. If so it might be easier for you. What is the cabinet made of? I was assuming wood. Another challenge will be to get anything to turn. I probably hasn't in many years.
You also want to ensure that power is disconnected (coming from back at the left).

That's a neat old cabinet. Any of the doors I have seen are nice hardwood and the fittings look nice when cleaned up. Can't say I've seen one built in low like that.
LadeeDIY likes this.

Last edited by lenaitch; 04-13-2019 at 08:39 PM.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lenaitch For This Useful Post:
LadeeDIY (04-13-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2019, 07:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,708

Socket wrench would probably do it. And socket with a breaker bar would definitely do it. But is there still refrigerant in the lines ? not sure what they were using as refrigerant back then -- but I would have a little concern of the gas escaping.
LadeeDIY likes this.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SPS-1 For This Useful Post:
LadeeDIY (04-14-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2019, 10:01 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
Socket wrench would probably do it. And socket with a breaker bar would definitely do it. But is there still refrigerant in the lines ? not sure what they were using as refrigerant back then -- but I would have a little concern of the gas escaping.

I didn't even think of this. Thanks!!

The house was built in 1912. Maybe it was the 20s or 30s this was installed? Freon was used starting in the late 20s. I am thinking it used this, but best to check. Thanks again.
LadeeDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:25 PM   #5
Usually Confused

Quote:

It looks to me like the cooling unit is on top so the whole so the whole thing is probably self-contained. There is a good chance it has sat for so long that seals, fittings, etc. have dried out and the coolant is long gone, but ya never know. I'd still be concerned about the power.
LadeeDIY likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to lenaitch For This Useful Post:
LadeeDIY (04-14-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 07:20 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 6,708

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaitch View Post
.....and the coolant is long gone, but ya never know.

Probably long gone. But my mother had a fridge in the basement that was vintage probably about 1960 or earlier. I got rid of it a couple of years ago, but last time we checked, it still worked.
They don't build them like they used to. Although rather small by today's standards, it was solid. Took off everything I could, and then pulled it up the stairs on a dolly. Dang it was heavy. When I got to the top step, my leverage was not as good (and I was pretty tired) and couldn't get it up the top step -- trying not to let it fall back down the stairs. I rested for a minute and then gave it one last heave --- and got over the top step.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:46 PM   #7
Usually Confused

Quote:
Probably long gone. But my mother had a fridge in the basement that was vintage probably about 1960 or earlier. I got rid of it a couple of years ago, but last time we checked, it still worked.
They don't build them like they used to. Although rather small by today's standards, it was solid. Took off everything I could, and then pulled it up the stairs on a dolly. Dang it was heavy. When I got to the top step, my leverage was not as good (and I was pretty tired) and couldn't get it up the top step -- trying not to let it fall back down the stairs. I rested for a minute and then gave it one last heave --- and got over the top step.

My brother has had limited luck with chest freezers in basements. One house had a monster that looked like it came over on the ark, but still worked. They had no intention of trying to move it and sold as an inclusion with the house. They recently sold another place and used an on-line house contents auction service. The deal is you bid and if you win, you come and get on a designated day. It was a smaller freezer but buddy shows up with a Honda Civic. He'd already bought and paid for it. It went with the house.
We had one that died. Put it on an online buy-and-sell' free to a good home. A couple bought it for a critter-proof trash bin at their camp. Gone in a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
removal tool , rusted , stuck on